Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RIP Pete Seeger

Default Re: RIP Pete Seeger

Back on track.... Pete's last major creative effort was the CD A More Perfect Union, a collaboration with his long time friend Lorre Wyatt. The CD was released in 2012 and the titular song (written by Pete and Lorre, as were all but one of the songs) includes these lyrics:

To form a more perfect union, read the words writ long ago
    Words we learned when we were young
    Words that continue to grow
    All our differences we can transcend
    With family, neighbors, workers, friends
    As we joined before, can we join again
    In Union, Union, in Union, Union.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

[QUOTE=trish;1449729]I'm sure I could, but whatever prompted you to make the suggestion? Since when are Americans invited to leave the country for making a joke about their political process? This land is...[/QUO

it's so easy to joke and judge, say how great someplace else is, if the British Parliment is more your style I don't see why you wouldn't want to go there. I get just as frustrated with our politics as anyone else does, but its just tiring to listen to all the crap about how this place does it better or that place does it better etc etc. Either run for office and try and effect some change or move to where it's better. I made a simple correction about a song, Pete Seeger is not nearly as well known for it as is woody Guthrie, at which point it was suggested it would make a wonderful anthem for us because ours has poor musicality, and some blanket statement about the left would be all for the change. That alone shows a complete lack of understanding of the collective physche of Americans, who as a whole will bitch across the aisle at each other over nearly every issue, until something like our National Anthem comes up for change . We have argued here over prayer in school, in god we trust on currency and nearly everything else imaginable, yet not once can i recall the Anthem being up for debate.

Note: All postings are complete works of fiction and are for entertainment purposes only.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

My your panties are in bunch. Way back in post #9 to this thread I said, "I always think of "This Land Is Your Land" as our defacto national anthem." It was a personal statement, not a suggestion that we should make it our national anthem, or replace the Star Spangled Banner (as if it would be against some cosmic law that a country can't have two national anthems ) Robert merely took me up on it.

Either run for office and try and effect some change or move to where it's better.
    These are obviously not the only two options. One can effect change in many ways. They mostly involve exercising the First Amendment, something both Woody and Pete did their entire lives.

Last edited by trish; 01-31-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

Yeah Glenn you sound awfully left-wing. I almost mistook you for Karl Marx. What did you say in your manifesto.

"There is a spectre haunting America. The spectre of those wanting to change our national anthem. All the powers of America have formed a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Nascar fan and Jeff Foxworthy viewer, Toby Keith groupie and Alabaman.....".

Anyhow, RIP Pete Seeger. I think this land would make a wonderful anthem.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

How about "The Internationale" as a national anthem for the USA then?

Quote Originally Posted by glenntinnyc View Post
    of course our discourse is doleful and full of as you so eloquently put it fuckwittery, when on that rock you call home politics are always carried out in such serene respectful fashion as to be a guiding light to the rest. You all invented fuckwittery
    If you follow what I ACTUALLY said, it was all in the context of Republicanism and my reference was to that home of idiocy otherwise known as the modern GOP, not to the quality of discourse in congress in general.

Oh my!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

He was one of my true heros, not many lived a life & full & true as he did. RIP.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    My your panties are in bunch. Way back in post #9 to this thread I said, "I always think of "This Land Is Your Land" as our defacto national anthem." It was a personal statement, not a suggestion that we should make it our national anthem, or replace the Star Spangled Banner (as if it would be against some cosmic law that a country can't have two national anthems ) Robert merely took me up on it.

These are obviously not the only two options. One can effect change in many ways. They mostly involve exercising the First Amendment, something both Woody and Pete did their entire lives.

firstly, i was commenting on what was suggested by your friend robert, you decided to come running to his defense when i commented, and as for using the first amendment to effect change, feel free to stand on your soap box and shout out your ideas, i could give a rats ass if you think of it as our defacto anthem, good for you again, my comment was not directed at you.

Note: All postings are complete works of fiction and are for entertainment purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Yeah Glenn you sound awfully left-wing. I almost mistook you for Karl Marx. What did you say in your manifesto.

"There is a spectre haunting America. The spectre of those wanting to change our national anthem. All the powers of America have formed a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Nascar fan and Jeff Foxworthy viewer, Toby Keith groupie and Alabaman.....".

Anyhow, RIP Pete Seeger. I think this land would make a wonderful anthem.

Ahh sarcasm, there isn't one thing I said that is even remotely right wing , i merely replied that the statement and i'm paraphrasing here" i suspect many in America feel the same way" with regards to our Anthem was misguided. It is one of the few things that most americans actually do agree on, left right or center. And as for your Marx comment, you have no idea what I believe in, stand for etc and trying to glean that from my comments is absurd,