Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The Concept Of Being "God Fearing"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1512444_10152144950839297_1306601411_n.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	731724  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

If the question was: Who would you rather party with: the Amish, the Jews, the Baptists, the Muslims, the Satanists, or the Irish Catholics...I'd probably take the Catholics.

If I had to choose who I'd want to hang with to find God, I'd say the Zen Buddhists.

I was Baptized, but Pat Mattus came up to me after I was dunked, and said "Come on man, let's go"
    I said "I don't think I'm done yet"
    he said "Yeah, I've already done it, you're through" ..so I took off. It turned out later that I wasn't actually finished, so I'm not sure they'll let me into Heaven when I die.
    They said my sister's name wrong when she was Baptized, accident? I don't think so.
    In Sunday School they couldn't come down on you like real School, I can't say County School set me up for a Dream Life, maybe I should have spent more time in Sunday School. All that homework I did....I knew it was bullshit!!!

Name:	pearl.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	731793  

World Class Asshole

I think reincarnation is making a comeback

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I don't believe in an afterlife, or reincarnation. But maybe we can be rebooted...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    I think reincarnation is making a comeback
    Indeed. It often gets out of fashion, but it never cease to come back... Go figure!

Name:	bz-panel-10-01-11.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	731967   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1554527_389877507813281_1312348549_n.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	731968   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bizarro-divine-intervention.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	731969  

Asian Princess Rookie Poster 8bit's Avatar

i've always understood being "God Fearing" as anti-intellectualism

my interpretation of the first teaching of god and humankind is that adam & eve were banished from the garden of eden by indulging in the temption of fruit -- from the tree of knowledge.

the first lesson is: do not learn, or you will be punished. i've always had to read and learn as to why i was different and i suppose i'd be banished away as well. i only fear not knowing more, and being artificially self-limited by the forced adoration of a supposed god which exhibits the very same sins and flaws humans do.

while its easy to take the atheist approach and that "i'm holier than thou", i have met genuinely good people who are religious. i think they mean well, but have that conflict which tethers their good-will from roaming too far outside the confines and reach of their faith

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by 8bit; 07-17-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    i've always understood being "God Fearing" as anti-intellectualism

my interpretation of the first teaching of god and humankind is that adam & eve were banished from the garden of eden by indulging in the temption of fruit -- from the tree of knowledge.

the first lesson is: do not learn, or you will be punished. i've always had to read and learn as to why i was different and i suppose i'd be banished away as well. i only fear not knowing more, and being artificially self-limited by the forced adoration of a supposed god which exhibits the very same sins and flaws humans do.

while its easy to take the atheist approach and that "i'm holier than thou", i have met genuinely good people who are religious. i think they mean well, but have that conflict which tethers their good-will from roaming too far outside the confines and reach of their faith
    Nicely done. BTW, welcome to the HA forums

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Welcome aboard 8bitsadollar,
    While the Bible does say that GOD told Adam and Eve not to eat from the fruit of his tree, the tree of knowledge, you could make the point that the Bible is a book of knowledge that has been around a long time and has sales numbers that would make many an egocentric author kill himself for.

I personally think most people go to Church for family or neighborhood reasons, as much as an interest in God, little kids are warned to be good or they'll go to hell. I would say "God Fearing" is an admission that there is a whole lot you don't know yet, and that there may be things you are doing wrong now that you're not even aware of, and as a warning to others that they don't know everything either, but they can and should have the wisdom to be conscious of that fact.

I would say true religion is about keeping your eye focused on your personal blind spot, which has absolutely nothing to do with organized religion, but just like in Art, you can look at what other people have done and use it to find your own path forward.

One time I was drunk at 2AM in front of a strip club in the city, when some guy came up and urged me to renounce my life of sin and come join his Church. Then a young black guy walked up crying, he was hooked on crack and he was begging for help. The Church guy got a blank look on his face and walked away. I talked to the kid a bit, but I had nothing to give. Where is Jesus when you need him?

World Class Asshole

Enjoy life, enjoy all Rookie Poster hung9hung's Avatar

Cool Re: The Concept Of Being "God Fearing"

Well , just wondering if "god fearing" means, living in a way that even God fears??!! :P

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

If I have to come down there, you kids will be in big trouble.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.