Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Concept Of Being "God Fearing"

OK - that's a fuller explanation than what I gave but what the heck. I'm not the one to let brutal facts stand in the way of anyone's beliefs

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

So there is a person who truly believes that he or she sees God when the rising sun illuminates a cornfield. In this case, the science is impeccable: the sun is shining, the cornfield is there, in all its glory; and the believer is convinced the light is from God, that it may even BE God, a hypothesis that science does not, and cannot refute. And there is not even a need to be afraid, but there may be an inclination to rejoice. Was it not Turner who once said I paint what I see, not what is there -?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

...and knowing her belief had only intangible consequences, she remained secure in the knowledge that no tangible thing could ever threaten the strength of her faith.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Veteran Poster Plaything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    So there is a person who truly believes that he or she sees God when the rising sun illuminates a cornfield. In this case, the science is impeccable: the sun is shining, the cornfield is there, in all its glory; and the believer is convinced the light is from God, that it may even BE God, a hypothesis that science does not, and cannot refute. And there is not even a need to be afraid, but there may be an inclination to rejoice. Was it not Turner who once said I paint what I see, not what is there -?
    Perception is reality.

Pretty certain that, even if we just get one ride...it's a gift.

The trick, not easy, is realising, and recognising that - in our day to day.

Finding grace in ordinary things.

Somebody way smarter than me posited that happiness is as simple as:

Somewhere to live.

Something to do.

Someone to love.

I can get with that.

Great thread, and some fabulous posts.

when i see you sky as a kite
    as high as i might, i can't get that high
    the how you move
    the way you burst the clouds
    it makes me want to try

Perception is isn't always reality
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.gif 
Views:	52 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	879143  

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyusian View Post
    Time for a thread necro...

So you've acquired empirical evidence that no god exists? This is what I find absolutely ridiculous about atheism, it's just like any religion being based on faith. The universe is a big place and an even bigger place is the apparent multiverse beyond it which is supposedly infinite and yet you atheists decree that there is absolutely no god just because you don't see a bearded man walking on this Earth and jumping from cloud to cloud. I find it hilarious.

Worst yet is the explanation from atheists about how the universe came here: "it's just here because" apparently unaware that a theist can use that same very argument then to argue that a god just exists "just because" and arose the same very way that apparently a godless universe could.

Just adding my two cents, I'm not religious myself so I can understand the criticisms against religions but I think atheism is absolute arrogance.

I don't know what god is like or if he even cares but it makes more sense believing than not. If conciousness can arise by itself then I see no reason why it can't do so outside of the universe or in another dimension.
    Being atheist merely means that I am unaffected by personal religious beliefs of my own. It's not any kind of religious belief, by even the wildest stretch of the imagination. "A"something doesn't mean "against". It just means "not". I have no problem with theism, gnosticism, humanism... or any other kind of "ism", jism, or whatever. I find it all very interesting and entertaining, as long as nobody tries to force me to follow its tenets.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Well, "Amen" to that

Senior Member Silver Poster

There are no Atheists in foxholes. I remember me and my pal joking years ago about the crappy anesthesia they used back then, in the recovery room guys coming out of it would be spilling their guts. Anesthesia takes you down to one notch above DEATH, and it sounds to me like your conscious takes center stage when you're about to face the final curtain. The choices you made. A few years ago I had a scare and spent a long night in the hospital, when I got home I deleted an entire exterior hard drive.

World Class Asshole

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    There are no Atheists in foxholes.
    Of course there are. You shouldn't believe every motto that's been printed on a dorm room poster. There have been a number of well-known atheists who have remained atheists to the final end. Of course you might call them know it-all-know nothings. Still,

a brush with death might scare the bejeezus out of you (or into you), but the imminence of death is not evidence of God.

Besides, God fucking well knows what was on that hard drive and you're still going to have to answer for it when you get to those golden arches...er...I mean St. Peter's gate.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    God fucking well knows what was on that hard drive and you're still going to have to answer for it when you get to those golden arches...er...I mean St. Peter's gate.
    No I was absolved of those crimes, I still have faith you will one day renounce your education.....all those people who have died not believing in homework........bless their souls.

World Class Asshole