Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: The Concept Of Being "God Fearing"

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    My aunt from Texas was over and I was talking to her. My kin over there take The Bible pretty literally. I asked her, "How did Noah live over 900 years?" She paused then gave a long "Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllll...", which gives her time to think of a lie if she can stretch that one word out long enough. Then she finished by saying, "People back then just lived lo'onger." Trying not to laugh I shrug it off by saying, "I guess they had better drugs back then." I will admit her faith is unflappable. Her logic is like Swiss Cheese though.
    Asked my mother about Adam and/or Eve committing incest with their kids so as to propagate the species. I asked her why God would approve such a thing. Her reply is that back then people lived to several hundred years of age.
    OK then.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Mathus'la lived nine-hundred years.
    Mathus'la lived nine-hundred years.
    But who'd call that livin'
    When no gal'll give in
    To no guy whose nine-hundred years?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Reclusive deity hasn't written a new book in 2000 years.
    Satire from "The Onion".
    http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...7&e=05568b8654

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Reclusive deity hasn't written a new book in 2000 years.
    Satire from "The Onion".
    http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...7&e=05568b8654
    "Leading writers, scholars, and publishers gathered this week at Fordham University for a literary conference and panel discussion on God, the widely praised but reclusive deity who has not published a book since His landmark debut 2,000 years ago."

- An odd statement to make given that Muhammad claims that his revelations came from the Angel Gabriel, ie that the Quran is the word of God. I thought everyone knew that (regardless as to whether or not they believe it). The first revelations were received in 610 or thereabouts, but not brought together in a textual fashion and in a definitive version until 650 so that makes it 1,364 years ago...unless...

The conference at Fordham shows no interest in other, non-biblical religions. Following Islam, some might say related to it is the Bahai faith, which also claims that some of its canonical texts are divine revelation. This gives God a more recent entry into publishing, as Bab's Commentary on the Suri'h of Joseph was published in earthly form in 1844 -'Bab' -Siyyid Mirza Ali Muhammad Shirazi (ie a dude called Ali born in Shiraz in Iran)- claimed to be the vanished Imam or Mahdi and thus the man who had 'returned' to earth to lead mankind to salvation, or also that he was the returning John the Baptist, Elijah, and so on. He became known as 'Bab' meaning gate or door to imply that we would pass through him to eternal sunshine. Baha'ullah was a follower and was instrumental in codifying the Bahai 'faith' which now claims to unify all monotheist religions although I have always thought of it as an Islamic heresy. Whatever, that God was a contemporary of Charles Dickens and Honore de Balzac seems lost on the 'scholars of Fordham'.

I think it was a joke!

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

You mean there wasn't a conference? Hmmm...still they could at least have widened their brief...

Though God hasn't published for awhile, apparently he does "reveal" himself to believers. I thought we would arrest old men for doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    You mean there wasn't a conference? Hmmm...still they could at least have widened their brief...

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

wow.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

God's literary output is very uneven, probably due to his use of holy ghost writers.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! But He loves you. The Greatest George Carlin.... couldn't said it better