Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    Senior Member Silver Poster

Default Re: Great Bible verses!

I remember seeing an R. Crumb comic probably around 1980, and the 60s were long gone, and he was saying that when his Dad and his friends got together, they would talk about WW II, but when he and his friends got together they would talk about old acid trips.

In Biblical times, they didn't have a Public Library where you could pick up a couple Philip K Dick paperbacks, they didn't have movie theatres where you could see wide screen Spielberg, life was pretty brutal. But I'm sure whenever the boys got together with a lambskin of wine, they'd try to out-do each other with the best stories.

I think a lot of the fantastic stuff from the Old Testament was Mystic stuff, the old version of getting high as a kite, I think most people here remember how whack pot smokers seemed until you tried some yourself, then it suddenly makes sense. Everybody knows the story of Adam and Eve, maybe it is the story of each individual's journey as a child, in Kid Heaven, when life was brand new and anything was possible, then as you develop into a kid, you enter a world of pain, Nodsville. Damn REALITY.

Maybe when you get old in your Adult diapers you'll have Revelations, in your sleepy half awake state, when your own mortality is in sight and closing fast.

One time home on Christmas break I found some mescaline in a friend's drawer left over from summer. I took it and smoked a J of Columbo, I didn't know mescaline broke down into poison. I had to go out and sit in the car, and the entire world was falling UP, I was going down into Alice's rabbit hole. I think a lot of Alice in Wonderland was about a mathematician getting high on the poison of his day. Does Alice in Wonderland make any sense?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_m6rhtcP9Wr1qg35tio1_500.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	693169  

World Class Asshole

Does Lewis Carroll make sense?

"Was brillig and the slithy toves,
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe."

What's wrong with that?

Is Alice in Wonderland really about drugs? Check out www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19254839

Certainly lots of great literature has been written under the influence.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote his most famous poem, Kubla Khan, after an opium-influenced dream

"In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
    A stately pleasure-dome decree:
    Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
    Through caverns measureless to man
    Down to a sunless sea.
    So twice five miles of fertile ground
    With walls and towers were girdled round;
    And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills,
    Where blossomed many an incense-bearing tree;
    And here were forests ancient as the hills,
    Enfolding sunny spots of greenery."

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Enjoy the following - it may only be allegorical, if not ..... shit!
    Revelation 9:7-19
    Revelation is a sequence of warnings, not predictions. It works on the level of a mother chiding her son 'If you don't stop that I'll tell you father when he comes home!'. Floods, earthquakes, famine, pestilence, death, volcanic eruptions, wars -not hard to predict, and in an age when people believed supernatural forces were gods, the agenda for an emerging institution like the Church is ready-made. I wonder how many people, with or without religion believe if they do something 'bad' something 'bad' will happen to them...

Senior Member Silver Poster

There was a Tim Reid sitcom, Frank's Place, about a northern big city brotha who inherited a bar in New Orleans, and the show was about him getting thrown into a completely different world unto itself in the deep south.
    In one episode, I think it's where he finally meets the family of this girl he likes, and they are an age-old black N.O. family of high repute, and he's around the dinner table with them, a great big family at a big table with silverware, china, and polite conversation, and Tim Reid is trying to appear deep and interesting, so he says
    "They say some scholars consider Shakespeare to be higher literature than the Bible"
    Time screeches to a halt and the Grande Matriarch of the family sends Tim an icy look that could kill.

The Bible sets itself up as an easy mark, proclaiming itself to be the word of God, and these churches that handle snakes or say condoms are sinful, hmm....

A thread about the verses of William Shakespeare, and what they mean, that might be a little trickier, we have the original text from the man himself, and his apostles in greasepaint, and every credible literary guy accepts Shakespeare as head and shoulders above any one else, so by trashing him you just look stupid.

I saw on another sitcom in which Shakespeare and Sir Francis Bacon were such drunken whoremungers, that whenever people saw them bopping down the street together after 4PM, they'd say
    "Oh shit, looks like Shake and Bake are on a tear again"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3592.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	693575  

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Enjoy the following - it may only be allegorical, if not ..... shit!

Revelation 9:7-19

7 The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces.

8 Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth.

9 They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle.

10 They had tails with stingers, like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months.

11 They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).
    12 The first woe is past; two other woes are yet to come.
    13 The sixth angel sounded his trumpet, and I heard a voice coming from the four horns of the golden altar that is before God.

14 It said to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, “Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates.”

15 And the four angels who had been kept ready for this very hour and day and month and year were released to kill a third of mankind.

16 The number of the mounted troops was twice ten thousand times ten thousand. I heard their number.
    17 The horses and riders I saw in my vision looked like this: Their breastplates were fiery red, dark blue, and yellow as sulfur. The heads of the horses resembled the heads of lions, and out of their mouths came fire, smoke and sulfur.

18 A third of mankind was killed by the three plagues of fire, smoke and sulfur that came out of their mouths.

19 The power of the horses was in their mouths and in their tails; for their tails were like snakes, having heads with which they inflict injury.

I have not been a great fan of the Book of Revelations. Seems to me that people deep into this book are so focused on the end times, the rest of the
    Bible is unimportant. It's like their happy with wars, plagues, and the like, because this means Christ is closer to coming back to earth.

Second Sitting of the Last Supper

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ