Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: What is this Duck Dynasty shit going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Silcc69 View Post
    My thing is doesn't that show appeal to that demographic anyways. They wouldn't be offended. This show doesn't seem to appeal to blacks, gays, nor japanese. Mainly religious folks and conservatives.
    Sure. But by acting responsibly now and then later re-instating Phil, the network gets both to create attention in the media, do the right thing by gays and blacks and boost ratings for a aging show. If they were smart enough, they might have planned it. But hey, they're Duck Dynasty...it had to be a lucky accident...right?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silcc69 View Post
    My thing is doesn't that show appeal to that demographic anyways. They wouldn't be offended. This show doesn't seem to appeal to blacks, gays, nor japanese. Mainly religious folks and conservatives.
    It'll be one of those Kabuki dances with A&E hoping not to lose money but give a high hat that doesn't get too much blowback. Maybe timing with have something to do with it. I believe that fences will be mended because that's what A&E will decide what is good for business. Robertson will have to realize he is a television gimmick and needs to learn how not to alienate by judging behavior. He either preaches to the choir or is seen as a slack-jawed yokel depending who you ask.

Senior Member Junior Poster goatman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Yeah, all my conservative, Christian friends are jibbering at me about "PC police." Give me a break!

So Phil says something stupid about gays and blacks in Esquire. Then A&E execs say to themselves something like, "This is a God-send. First we suspend Phil from the show. We let the media hype simmer and stew for awhile. People who never before gave a rat's ass about DD will watch an episode or two. Maybe we'll hook a few. Our sponsors will scarf it up. We'll look good for taking the appropriate action, and then we'll have Phil give a half-hearted apology and put him back in the show before next season starts. He never misses a beat. This is a win-win. It's just what we need to put some life back into an aging reality series."
    A "mummer's farce" as the good folk from "Game of Thrones" would phrase it....Apparently, neither side got a good look at the other when they signed the paperwork. I mean, hello A&E, you hired a family of duck hunter/enthusiasts from "Backwoods Louisiana" in order to keep up with the other basic-cable networks in the "redneck reality-show ratings wars(proof alone that Hollywood has run out of new ideas). And you trot the "patriarch"(no warning there, the word "patriarch") to do a GQ interview? Did you think he'd be "quaint" , chock full of "homespunisms"? What'd you think he'd say?
    As to the Robertsons, It's A&E... As in "Arts & Entertainment" Television. ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT. Who do they think comprise the Arts & Entertainment career fields? People who may not find Phil's statements/observations quaint & homespun(like say Black people, TBGL people, "liberals", any combination of the above & anyone who realizes that the American Civil War ended about 148 years ago and--even though it was "a Late, Great, & Unpleasant Lost Cause", the South started it.
    oopsie

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Wonder if this dies down over the long holiday. The network will not walk away from that much money. Do they do good merchandise sales too? Lunch Boxes, Video Games, Gator Jerky, Pregnancy Test which also determines if closely related, etc...

Senior Member Junior Poster goatman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    Wonder if this dies down over the long holiday. The network will not walk away from that much money. Do they do good merchandise sales too? Lunch Boxes, Video Games, Gator Jerky, Pregnancy Test which also determines if closely related, etc...
    All available at your friendly neighborhood WalMart Supercenter...

Quote Originally Posted by goatman View Post
    All available at your friendly neighborhood WalMart Supercenter...
    Few Piggly Wiggly and General Stores too. Mr Haney has all the orders he can handle.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I believe Duck Dynasty merchandise, not the Duck Commander duck calls and gear, just the Duck Dynasty show branded merchandise will hit $400 Million by the end of 2013. That's $400 Million total since the show began a couple years ago.

Another point that is completely ignored by right wing nuts, is that if Phil had an "evil" union representing him, he probably never would have been suspended. Sucks working in an at-will state, doesn't it?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

I'll just stick with watching House Hunters, thank you.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.