Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster Genetic's Avatar

Default Re: What is this Duck Dynasty shit going on?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    Religion plays such a significant role in so many people's lives so we are forced to interpret and re-interpret these ancient documents to sanitize them of antiquated meanings. But if an ancient text encourages you to label behavior that has no moral consequences as immoral, why shouldn't a person just ignore the proscription altogether? Instead we have to hear why Jesus really wouldn't have hated queers so much. And if the New Testament said that he would have hated gay men and women, why should that bind anyone?
    Which is exactly what I was raised to believe. It's 2000 years old and wasn't written down til at least 100 years later by people who had their own interests at heart, then governed by men who interpreted it how they see fit.

You only have to hear about why Jesus wouldn't have hated gays when some dickhead brings up the only example in the Bible from Leviticus. You know, kinda the same way we have to here the same tired bullshit about not all Muslims being terrorists whenever one of them murders someone but then it's not pc to bash Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvela View Post
    Um... not quite... and while I was raised Catholic and have long considered myself an agnostic... I know you are full of BS (or limited understanding, or both).
    Full of shit or I'm stupid? Nice assumptions jackass.

It is the concept of 'progressive revelation' which you seem to fail to understand... and this being said by a guy who only goes to church when dragged in
    What you seem to fail to understand is that it was laws put into place by man that were disagreed with by your two examples. Martin Luther branched off because his issue with the church was because he didn't believe that sins could be forgiven by paying for forgiveness. So what does that have to do with NT/OT issue I was discussing? Nothing at all. The whole "God hates gays" comes from Leviticus and from clergy. Nowhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by looking4TS View Post
    lWith today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny
    I agree that none of it should be taken too seriously. Religion should never be a reason for violence or hatred; that's completely against the idea of most religions. However, for a long time technology assured us the world was flat. We were told in the 60s that DNA was a hoax that would be disproved. Technology and science should also be taken with a pinch of salt because it always adapts.

In terms of taking God seriously, why not? If the idea of a higher being or an afterlife gives comfort to people then there's no harm. It's only when morons use it as an excuse to hate or for greed that it becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvela View Post
    I am not a desperate nor helpless man... so I do not pay for sex.

My reasons for being here are my own.

Instead, your comments here reveal more about your own ignorance's & prejudices than mine.
    I think you've just managed to prove you're the ignorant and prejudiced one when you come onto a board designed around sex workers and then once again use your high and mighty opinion of yourself to pass judgment on other posters. For your information, paying for sex is not for desperate or helpless people but you believe whatever ignorant crap you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    As for the bible, stop cherry-picking it. Either follow every rule within it, or don't follow them at all. And I was raised catholic...but I see the bullshit.
    So you and your family practiced ever single rule in it? So you never wore mixed fabric clothes? How did you cope with the rules that contradicted each other? Did you smite many Cananites? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia Katt View Post
    Snip.
    Thank you for the lengthy post, at least someone has some understanding of the subject and some common sense!

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Genetic View Post

You only have to hear about why Jesus wouldn't have hated gays when some dickhead brings up the only example in the Bible from Leviticus. You know, kinda the same way we have to here the same tired bullshit about not all Muslims being terrorists whenever one of them murders someone but then it's not pc to bash Islam.
    It's not pc to bash anyone, but I appreciate that you think Christians get an unfair amount of abuse. If a large segment of a religious denomination believes something that is objectionable and they are opposed by other members of that organization who say the problem is one of interpretation it seems counter-intuitive to me. I feel the same way about religious fundamentalists of any background.

For instance, I was raised Jewish and though I think some Orthodox Jews may not be taking their cues strictly from the Torah I really don't care if they are. If they're not behaving in a decent way and their justification is that they've been indoctrinated to dislike gays or people from different backgrounds, that's their problem. But I just don't think the place to start is by pulling out the Talmud and re-interpreting it for them.

But that shouldn't change the fact that no Christian is responsible for the actions of another Christian just as no Jew or Muslim should be responsible for the independent acts of their co-religionists. And though I see the usefulness of religion in some people's lives it is a shame that we have to go through this charade about what the final interpretation of a book of fables should be.

I imagine you would agree that those who engaged in the Crusades or the Inquisition were not reading their books properly either. But they thought they had divine sanction for what they were doing and that's a problem whether it's based on a textual misreading or not.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

So you and your family practiced ever single rule in it? So you never wore mixed fabric clothes? How did you cope with the rules that contradicted each other? Did you smite many Cananites? lol
    Hell no I don't follow every single rule in that book. Every day of my life I've broken at least one of the commandments as well as other stated "guidelines". But, unlike many of these so-called Christians, I don't CLAIM to follow every rule, nor do I go the bible route to justify my actions. I've yet to meet ANYONE who does follow every alleged rule; if a person says they do, they're lying...therefore breaking a commandment.

As for coping with them I just thought to myself that when my time comes to deal with those infractions, I'd worry about it then. Not while I'm eating shrimp while watching the football game on a Sunday in my polyester blend jersey haha.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

The whole "God hates gays" comes from Leviticus and from clergy. Nowhere else.
    Clergymen are ordained for religious purposes. So the God hates gays comes from actual religious ministers in the church, it comes from religious followers, and it comes from the Old Testament.

It may seem easy to blame everything on that superstitious precursor religion and be thankful for the enlightenment brought about by the New Testament but unfortunately that has not settled matters. If it was the Jewish books that endorsed homophobia, it is a message that Christian followers have seemed to take to heart. So, if they don't have any truly "Christian" textual support for their views, many Christians certainly believe they do and have religious leaders who tell them they do.

I don't doubt there are Orthodox Jews who follow Leviticus as it is an important book in the Tanakh and therefore take to heart its homophobic message. But I don't see that many religious Jews on television saying Aids is the cure for homosexuality or showing up at funerals with placards. That doesn't mean they do not, but homophobia cannot just be passed off as something ancient and retrograde that has been completely transcended by followers of the Christian faith. It seems to be a feature shared by all three monotheistic religions and cannot simply be palmed off on one or the other.

You are essentially admonishing everyone to ignore what many Christian religious leaders say and do, what many followers of the religion say, and yield to your truthful interpretation. For anyone who has seen this act play out dozens of times before by people of every denomination it seems awfully disingenuous.

Gold Poster

Thank you for the lengthy post, at least someone has some understanding of the subject and some common sense!
    Thank goodness for people who resort to the desperate tactic of labeling themselves and everyone who agrees with them as the only people with common sense. That's probably never been done before.

https://www.quizbean.com/#/levitiquiz-2

anyone who speaks out against homosexuality on a Biblical Basis should be required to pass this test with a perfect score. After all, Jesus said you should be without sin before throwing any stones

FK

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by looking4TS View Post
    Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny
    The Easter Bunny is a monster ....

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

God I hate this show. I don't know why so many Americans are so interested in white trash redneck reality shows. I can't even enter a store without having Duck Dynasty shit being shoved down my throat.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LilyRox View Post
    God I hate this show. I don't know why so many Americans are so interested in white trash redneck reality shows. I can't even enter a store without having Duck Dynasty shit being shoved down my throat.
    I agree Lily. Watched a couple minutes and changed the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyRox View Post
    You gotta get out of Indiana then Lily. There's not too much DD merch on the Magnificent Mile ....

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...