Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Default Re: What is this Duck Dynasty shit going on?

lets face the true and real facts here. every ancient isolated civilizations in history has created everything from languages to gods. Over 1000 Gods in total have been created in time. under a 100 live today. They all share the same basic beliefs and many repeat the same stories through out history. That's the plain and simple facts that can't be disputed no matter what your beliefs are or which one of the 1000 gods you believe in. Now someone said something about breaking the rules of one of these man made gods. With today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by looking4TS View Post
    lets face the true and real facts here. every ancient isolated civilizations in history has created everything from languages to gods. Over 1000 Gods in total have been created in time. under a 100 live today. They all share the same basic beliefs and many repeat the same stories through out history. That's the plain and simple facts that can't be disputed no matter what your beliefs are or which one of the 1000 gods you believe in. Now someone said something about breaking the rules of one of these man made gods. With today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny
    The Teeth Fairy is such a fucking bitch!

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    Borrowed this from Kelly Clare. Sarah "Caribou Barbie" Palin chimes in. THIS is what most people are up in arms about...the double standard.
    Double standard? Only if you boil out quite a few facts.

If Phil Robertson had called for someone to deficate in the mouths of this or that homosexual... you might have a point.

More so, the statements from Martin Bashir happened during his paid program (and likely involving a person or two who would have seen his planned script and had no problem with it), while the statements of Phil Robertson happened in a more offline sense and more off the cuff from the sounds of it... with an A&E handler who wasn't in the room at the time of the controversial statements.

Spot the differences (multiple) yet?

Not that I am forgiving one vs the other. It's just important to understand the contexts involved... where MSNBC has a long history of only hiring professional on-air personalities who have serious personality issues... while A&E goes out of their way to hire a family of bible thumping hillbillies for your amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by Silcc69 View Post
    I will never ever figure out how die hard right wingers such as Bobvela come on this site. Knowing his ass is probably at church on sunday but buying tranny cock on saturday.
    I am not a god fearing man... so do not attend church.

I am not a desperate nor helpless man... so I do not pay for sex.

My reasons for being here are my own.

Instead, your comments here reveal more about your own ignorance's & prejudices than mine.

1 out of 6 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Genetic View Post
    Yes it does. However, the New Testament replaced the Old Testament with the Old Testament still published only as reference. The teachings of Jesus replaced those of Moses from which Leviticus was drawn (loving God instead of vengeful etc), with Jesus essentially scrapping the teachings of Christianity and starting it over.
    Um... not quite... and while I was raised Catholic and have long considered myself an agnostic... I know you are full of BS (or limited understanding, or both).

When the Americans rebelled against the British and won their independence... did they abandon all previous laws & traditions and start anew? No... they copied & pasted and updated as necessarily. Hence why 'British Common Law' is still a part of the US legal system via early reception statutes.

Ditto goes for most of Christianity.

Joseph Smith said that the existing Christians had long lost the Aaronic, Melchizedek & Patriarchal priesthoods so started anew based on what they said had come before.

Martin Luther laid out a series of gripes with the church at the time and forked off into the various forms that we know as Protestantism.

(The above just being a couple well known forks)

But then this shouldn't be much of a surprise as Christianity forked off from Judaism 2000 or so years ago... who in turn forked from Zoroastrianism well before that... of course, all three are wrong say the Muslims, who themselves forked from the Christians back in the 600's.

It is the concept of 'progressive revelation' which you seem to fail to understand... and this being said by a guy who only goes to church when dragged in

2 out of 4 members liked this post.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

This is how I interpret this "controversy". Robertson, as an employee of A&E (a private company that sets their own rules), said something his employer didn't like. Since A&E didn't want folks to think that that's a reflection of everyone else at the company (which would most likely be a PR nightmare), they "let him go" over it. It doesn't matter if it was public or private, offline of off-the-cuff; it got back to his bosses, they didn't like it, it probably violated something in his contract with them, and they handled the situation the way they saw fit.

Yes, Bashir's comment WAS in the public; hell, it was live. Same thing; MSNBC didn't want that to be a reflection of everyone else at the company, it most likely violated something in his contract, so they fired - oops, he resigned.

As for the bible, stop cherry-picking it. Either follow every rule within it, or don't follow them at all. And I was raised catholic...but I see the bullshit.

People like Duck Dynasty's Phil Anderson should read the Bible before thumping it. The provisions of Leviticus that "Christians" rely on are not about homosexual acts but are instead about idolatrous ones. Like the Ten Commandments, the first four of which are about honoring God, rather than some greater moral code, they were trying to enforce adherence to the Hebrew faith, against other Pagan systems in existence then, which used all kinds of sexual activities as parts of their fertility and other rituals.
    http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or...leviticus.html
    https://bible.org/seriespage/holines...icus-21-and-22
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh5.htm
    http://jewishchristiangay.wordpress....e-abomination/

If they are going to misread Leviticus to condemn homosexuals, they shouldn't do so in ignorance of all the other sins it supposedly lists as equally bad. There are 76 other things banned in Levitcus, including tattoos and working on Sunday, spreading slander, mistreating foreigners, cursing your parents, having sex with a woman on her period and all sorts of similar things
    http://leviticusbans.tumblr.com/post...d-in-leviticus

You never hear the Religous Right condemning people to Hell and Damnation for any of these things. Only for the cherry picked purported proscription against homosexual acts. Adultery is right there at number 7 in the Ten Commandments, but no one ever suggests stoning any of the many many prominent people on their third or fourth or more marriages.

You never hear them talk about how the New Testament was supposed to be just that, a new set of rules for a moral existence, that expressly in Galatians repealed all the previous ones.
    http://www.inherit-the-kingdom.org/bible/leviticus.html

You also never hear these Christians talk much about what Jesus said against homosexuals. Mainly because he never said any such thing. Anyone who tries to argue that the New Testament has any condemnation of homosexual activity is completely and purposefully misreading what Paul railed against in the one supposedly applicable passage of Corinthians which really refers to any sexual promiscuity.
    http://www.inherit-the-kingdom.org/b...enokoites.html

Adulterers, drunkards and the greedy were expressly and unambiguously called out by Paul as being excluded from Heaven. Under that standard, who here or anywhere would ever get in? Not Phil Robertson. He is a multi-millionaire who in the past struggled with alcohol and fidelity.
    Phil Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Phil Robertson's comments in GQ were bad enough but nothing compared to what he said about homosexuals in 2010:
    They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,1685719.story

All this hostility and hatred is completely contrary to what Christ did actually and uncontroversially say which was that there were no commandments greater than loving God and loving your neighbor as you love yourself and that no one should judge or condemn anyone else and if you do so, you condemn yourself.
    http://biblehub.com/mark/12-31.htm
    http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm

If anyone is likely to be judged harshly and condemned, its Phil Anderson and his supporters

FK

4 out of 5 members liked this post.

Another thing. Quite a few folks say that A&E knew what they were getting into when they signed on the cast. They probably did...and put it in their contract that they should keep said opinions to themselves., or suffer the consequences. Someone forgot about that.

Look at it this way. A poster is banned from this site for saying something specific. They have that freedom of speech, yes, but rules were broken within this private enterprise...so they have to suck it up when they're disciplined.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy37 View Post
    lets look at the facts...based on bible Christian principles. Homosexual activity is a sin . God hates homosexuals. read it for yourself. Gays can kick and scream all they want , but god makes it clear ....no heaven for faggots. you can be queer or Christian..but not both. decide now

Um...before you start taking about "Christian principles", better click this link (thanks Silcc69).

http://bilarichfield.tumblr.com/post...le-except-thou

And considering how hypocritical and spiteful many (but not all) so-called "Christians" are, I'd rather be queer.

Ok whatever you say bobvela we all love the conservative cocksuckers on HA.

@Genetic then what about these versus?

Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).
    9) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjinla2001
    I haven't just let a single prostitute cum in my mouth. Hundreds- more likely thousands of transvesites have shot their loads in my mouth. God bless america
    I AM A GUY NOT A TRANSSEXUAL!

Senior Member Junior Poster goatman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    I even find you generous, Goatman, in your reading of history. It can be well argued that Yahweh was a tribal god up to at least the VIth to Vth century, maybe even to the late hellenistic period. Moreover, archeologists still find small idols of many different deities up to the end of the IIIrd century BCE. You are absolutely right in saying that the Bible as a corpus of faith is a late construct, and doesn't have anything to do with what we are today.

And oh! this:
    Thanks for the kudos, Dan. I did the condensed, abridged, ADHD-friendly version because at the time, it was late(College football going off, [adult swim] coming on), I'd had a couple & I wanted to point out the semi-obvious in a user-friendly format without getting TOO wordy(wasn't wholly sure of my audience). Ultimately, I just did like one of my old professors...I pointed the discussion in the direction I felt it needed to go & sat back(which worked judging from the replies/responses that followed...)

2 out of 2 members liked this post.