Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Member 5 Star Poster Jamie French's Avatar

Default Re: The little screen. Are we obsessed?

I'll never own one of those things. My phone is a phone, I get like 3 to 5 calls a month. Why would I need anything more in a phone?

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    26 lifetime passes left to my site for my face surgery. Help out, gimme your email & I'll make it worth your while. https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraise...-surgery-funds

My @clips4sale store... updated every day for the next year and a half, starting... NOW. http://clips4sale.com/20182

http://deadgirlproductions.com/
    http://www.tsjamiefrench.com
    http://www.twitter.com/Jamie_French

Vatican Square

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kukm4 View Post
    Vatican Square

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie French View Post
    I'll never own one of those things. My phone is a phone, I get like 3 to 5 calls a month. Why would I need anything more in a phone?

Exactly!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie French View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bopper007 View Post
    Exactly!
    I don't either. I might sound a bit strange, but I've never seen as an advantage to be at anyone's reach all the time. Often, I just want peace! Moreover, I don't want to have to call people back. There are some people whom, if they leave you a message, it's difficult not to call them back. So I don't even have an answering machine; I value my peace too much. When I don't want to be bothered, I don't answer the phone, and when I go out, I'm free of any attachment. As to the possibility of something bad happening to a love one, well, what will it change if I'm immidiately informed of it or later on?

On the other hand, you raise a good point, Trish. I suppose it's once again a matter of usage of a potentially great piece of technology. I've seen my daughter, who could use a computer much before me, keep in touch with her many, many friends from home at any time. She's an extreme extrovert, and her social life is very important for her. Today, she lives far away in the North, as her boyfriend works in mining. She still keep contact with her two hundred and eighty something friends at all time, always talking to 4, 5, 6 of them at the same time, and whenever she visits home, we're sure to also get the visit of a dozen of them! The Net is really allowing her to keep her social relations despite space! And often with people she has known since childhood! I find that quite remarquable.

Vasto Lorde Gold Poster Quiet Reflections's Avatar

It think all the texting,tweeting, etc stops young people from learning how to talk to and treat people when they are face to face with them. The text short hand is silly to me and what really gets me is hearing kids talk to each other face to face in a similar fashion. I have no idea how they understand each other

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Silver Poster

the phone camera thing really pisses me off. i don't even care if everyone is on their phone, but people stopping to take pictures on their phone then posting it on instagram just drives me insane. in fact, i work with a girl who has a special phone that comes with a program especially for doing "selfies"

anyhoo- if you guys are getting pissed at people being on the phone all the time, wait until google glass becomes all the rage

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    I don't either. I might sound a bit strange, but I've never seen as an advantage to be at anyone's reach all the time. Often, I just want peace! Moreover, I don't want to have to call people back. There are some people whom, if they leave you a message, it's difficult not to call them back. So I don't even have an answering machine; I value my peace too much. When I don't want to be bothered, I don't answer the phone, and when I go out, I'm free of any attachment. As to the possibility of something bad happening to a love one, well, what will it change if I'm immidiately informed of it or later on?
    you know, having a cell phone doesn't mean you have to answer it all the time. you can even get apps that will ignore calls after a certain time- or set your phone to silent.

having access to technology requires one to be responsible with it. most people aren't. that's the problem. not the technology.

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Reflections View Post
    It think all the texting,tweeting, etc stops young people from learning how to talk to and treat people when they are face to face with them. The text short hand is silly to me and what really gets me is hearing kids talk to each other face to face in a similar fashion. I have no idea how they understand each other
    i think young people learning how to talk to and treat people should be the parents responsibility. technology should be used responsibly. if kids aren't using it properly then it's their parents responsibility to put that in check. if not then fuck them

Gold Poster

I keep my ringer off, and don't text that often. I do like to be able to check email, but I don't write emails on my phone because I make too many typos.

Some people just don't have manners. Texting and talking when you're around other people is just annoying and disrespectful.