Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The FIFA World Cup 2014 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    I have to confess that I haven't analysed the draw and its possibilities as forensically as you have, Stavros, for which much thanks. So Brazil v Germany would be a semifinal only. Oh well.

The fixtures after the group stages are like this:

8 June 2014 Second-round 1:
    Winner Group A v Runner-up Group B, Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte, 17:00
    28 June 2014
    Second-round 2:
    Winner Group C v Runner-up Group D, Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro, 21:00
    29 June 2014
    Second-round 3:
    Winner Group B v Runner-up Group A, Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza, 17:00
    29 June 2014
    Second-round 4:
    Winner Group D v Runner-up Group C, Arena Pernambuco, Recife, 21:00
    30 June 2014
    Second-round 5:
    Winner Group E v Runner-up Group F, Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, 17:00
    30 June 2014
    Second-round 6:
    Winner Group G v Runner-up Group H, Estadio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre, 21:00
    1 July 2014
    Second-round 7:
    Winner Group F v Runner-up Group E, Arena de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 17:00
    1 July 2014
    Second-round 8:
    Winner Group H v Runner-up Group G, Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, 21:00
    Quarter-finals

4 July 2014
    Quarter-final 1:
    Winner Second-round 1 v Winner Second-round 2, Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza, 21:00
    4 July 2014
    Quarter-final 2:
    Winner Second-round 5 v Winner Second-round 6, Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janeiro, 17:00
    5 July 2014
    Quarter-final 3:
    Winner Second-round 3 v Winner Second-round 4, Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador, 21:00
    5 July 2014
    Quarter-final 4:
    Winner Second-round 7 v Winner Second-round 8, Estadio Nacional, Brasilia, 17:00
    Semi-finals

8 July 2014
    Semi-final 1:
    Winner Quarter-final 1 v Winner Quarter-final 2, Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte, 21:00
    9 July 2014
    Semi-final 2:
    Winner Quarter-final 3 v Winner Quarter-final 4, Arena de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, 21:00

Junior Member Rookie Poster AL121's Avatar

Yeah! I agree with the oppinion that south american teams will be very strong I am esp. looking forward to see those teams that exites me in Africa again in action. But lets don't forget Mexico and USA the have still some kind of home advantage. Italy should get far like usually also the germans. But I am couting on some "underdogs" like Portugal and Fance to make Quater Finals, if their are at their peak levels...

Don't think Smalling, Jones, Glen Johnson, Lambert or Milner are worthy of an England place, but I do think this could be a team that springs surprises and will back England to win the cup.

Current Odds from Ladbrokes look like this:

To win the cup

3/1 Brazil
    9/2 Argentina
    5/1 Germany
    6/1 Spain
    16/1 Belgium
    20/1 France
    22/1 Italy
    22/1 Portugal
    22/1 Colombia
    28/1 Netherlands (listed as 'Holland')
    28/1 Uruguay
    33/1 England
    33/1 Chile

To win Group D
    6/4 Italy
    9/5 Uruguay
    9/4 England
    33/1 Costa Rica

Top Goalscorer
    8/1 Messi
    10/1 Neymar
    14/1 Suarez
    14/1 Ronaldo
    16/1 Aguero
    20/1 Diego Costa
    25/1 van Persie
    25/1 Fred
    25.1 Higuain
    28/1 Lukaku
    33/1 Balotelli
    33/1 Benzema
    33/1 Muller
    33/1 Negredo
    40/1 Hulk
    40/1 Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Don't think Smalling, Jones, Glen Johnson, Lambert or Milner are worthy of an England place, but I do think this could be a team that springs surprises and will back England to win the cup.
    I think you're right, but it's hard to think of another English right back who's any better than Johnson. If Rodriguez hadn't had that awful injury I think he'd have got the nod ahead of his team mate Lambert, and from an embarrassment of riches a few years ago, England are scrabbling around for more than a couple of credible centre backs. I would say this, but it is a pity that Liverpool didn't win the title, as to have Gerrard, Henderson, Sturridge and Sterling on the crest of the wave would have been great for England. Man City may be the champions, but apart from Hart they didn't have a single Englishman on the field for their final game.

My starting eleven: Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard; Henderson; Sterling, Rooney, Lallana; Sturridge.

Possibly Wilshere instead of Henderson, but that's it.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

We're going to be three losses and out. USA! USA! USA!!!

Seriously though, can't seem to beat Ghana, Germany we've only ever beaten once (although recently), and Portugal I don't see us beating either. So 3 losses or 2 losses 1 draw sounds about right.

Group A pisses me off. They've pretty much given an inferior Mexico team a free pass to the next round. Brazil is a lock, although they've got some chemistry issues, too many stars not enough workers, they could collapse. Doubtful, but its possible.

Group B, I agree about Spain and the Netherlands. Still, come on Socceroo's!

Group C, I don't know much about Greece as a national squad, anyone have an opinion? Japan has a really unique defensive style. It will be interesting to see if anyone has figured it out yet. They played a lot of good teams really close last time around. I think they are through, but it will depend on whether they can score, and not just defend. Colombia I don't think is as much of a lock. I think their game against Ivory Coast will decide the second team through.

Group D, Italy should go through. England? I'd be a little more worried than a lot of you are. I think my Liverpool guys should carry England to the next round, but Uruguay is going to be lighting up the scoreboard a lot, and if they can get their defensive issues sorted, might be the second squad through. Costa Rica is going to take a game from one of the other three. I don't know which one, but they will surprise someone. That should help determine this group too. Glen Johnson is like having half a player for England and half a player for the other squad. Feel free to play the "Glen Johnson drinking game with me" where you take a shot every time he gives away the ball, or slags off on a play. You'll be wicked pissed by 10 minutes in. Also, England has Roy Hodgeson, I've seen the way that man fucked up my Reds over the years by getting players injured and blowing games from the outset with crap formations and strategy. Good luck England, you're going to need it.

Group E, I've seen Honduras play the USA a few times. They are crap on the road, but turn up when they have a really supportive crowd behind them, which they should have this year. I agree that France is a lock to go through, but Ecuador Honduras will be a great game, and probably what decides which of these two teams go through.

Group F, don't sleep on Iran, over the past year they've been looking better and better, and might surprise a few teams.

Group G, Germany and Portugal. Ghana could shock someone as well. USA is going to lose all three, and I will be doing a lot of swearing, and a lot more drinking from depression.

Group H, I get why Stavros wasn't sure about South Korea, but I think they are much better than he is giving them credit for, and that team plays mediocre in qualifiers, but really show up and play hard for big games. I think they will be on to the next round, with either Albania or Russia being the other in that group. This to me is going to be the most fun group to watch.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    My starting eleven: Hart; Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard; Henderson; Sterling, Rooney, Lallana; Sturridge.

Possibly Wilshere instead of Henderson, but that's it.
    Wilshire instead of Henderson? It might be time to put down the bottle Robert. lol

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Jus wookin puh nub.

[QUOTE=JenniferParisHusband;1489618]

Group D, Italy should go through. England? I'd be a little more worried than a lot of you are. I think my Liverpool guys should carry England to the next round, but Uruguay is going to be lighting up the scoreboard a lot, and if they can get their defensive issues sorted, might be the second squad through. Costa Rica is going to take a game from one of the other three. I don't know which one, but they will surprise someone. That should help determine this group too. Glen Johnson is like having half a player for England and half a player for the other squad. Feel free to play the "Glen Johnson drinking game with me" where you take a shot every time he gives away the ball, or slags off on a play. You'll be wicked pissed by 10 minutes in. Also, England has Roy Hodgeson, I've seen the way that man fucked up my Reds over the years by getting players injured and blowing games from the outset with crap formations and strategy. Good luck England, you're going to need it.

--I am actually going to put money on England winning the cup, regardless of what others are saying. England have a good record in Brazil, not least against the national team, beating them in the 1980s, and drawing with them last year in a game we could have won but for the flawed finishing of Welbeck (as usual) and a close shave from Rooney.

Italy are always a danger, they have one of the best players in the world, Pirlo, but their strikers are erratic, and their defence not as solid as it used to be in years gone by. I can't work out Uruguay but think they can be beaten, but your doubts about Hodgson's tactical play might make the difference.

The British government takes the pessimist view that England will not progress beyond the group stage, reported in the BBC today, as it decides whether or not to let pubs stay open late (the game against Italy starts at 11pm UK time):

"While England are certain to be playing in the matches in the first period, there is a high probability that they will not be playing in the later matches," it says.
    "To account for this, we have used odds from Betfair.com, implying that England have a 54% probability of progressing past the group stage and an 11% probability of progressing past the quarter-finals, allowing us to estimate the expected benefits (of opening pubs late)."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27396376

Being an old fart.I remember sitting with my father and neighbours watching the 1966 Final,i was eight and that great day has stayed with me all my life.
    Over the years one thing has become apparent,remember that day and Englands world cup winning victory,because you will never see it again in your lifetime.

Yes indeed, great days!! But how did you feel in 1990? Surely there was a great opportunity missed...like the penalties...

Yes 1990 was close.Could we have beaten Argentina in the final,who knows?I don't think so.
    The England team then was probably the strongest since '66.A solid unit.
    The squad of today hasn't got that.And Hodgson is weak.A lamb, not a Lion.