Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: The chicken you eat could be from China!

ahh... you speak Latin...lol

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

There seems to be a fear that if you eat Chinese chicken it will have cooked your goose...

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

If you ever had a stinking chicken factory set up shop just outside your town, you'd be the first to have it removed to China. The filth and the stench is unbearable. The excrement leaks endanger your water system. The birds are so compactly housed they require daily doses of antibiotics to keep them alive and laying. This of course sets the stage for artificial selection favoring the survival of drug resistant strains of bacteria. Now we have drug resistant STDs, tuberculosis etc. etc. The birds are so packed they'd peck each other to death if their beaks weren't cut off. Of course the GOP doesn't want to fund the FDA. Half of them don't even believe the FDA should exist. If God wanted us to follow regulations He would have given us ...never mind He did. So the FDA and related agencies (e.g. USDA) are way underfunded. They cannot inspect meat and other products frequently enough to give us the expectation of safety we once enjoyed. If China can, let them. Thank you austerity economics; a penny saved is a salmonella epidemic in the making.

Last edited by trish; 11-15-2013 at 06:42 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    If you ever had a stinking chicken factory set up shop just outside your town, you'd be the first to have it removed to China. The filth and the stench is unbearable. The excrement leaks endanger your water system. The birds are so compactly housed they require daily doses of antibiotics to keep them alive and laying. This of course sets the stage for artificial selection favoring the survival of drug resistant strains of bacteria. Now we have drug resistant STDs, tuberculosis etc. etc. The birds are so packed they'd peck each other to death if their beaks weren't cut off. Of course the GOP doesn't want to fund the FDA. Half of them don't even believe the FDA should exist. If God wanted us to follow regulations He would have given us ...never mind He did. So the FDA and related agencies (e.g. USDA) are way underfunded. They cannot inspect meat and other products frequently enough to give us the expectation of safety we once enjoyed. If China can, let them. Thank you austerity economics; a penny saved is a salmonella epidemic in the making.
    Well spoken I say ..

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Didn't China, within the past couple of years, have to slaughter millions of chickens in an effort to contain a widespread avian disease? I think this is what bat1 was getting at?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Your right. Their practices aren't any better than ours....just further away. Unfortunately modern diseases travel at the speed of tourists.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I would say their practices aren't even at our level. I think after the outbreak, a person would say, "I'll pass on the Chinese chicken, thanks." This smells like some back-room deal with the USDA by politicians and/or businessmen with a financial stake in allowing the import of Chinese poultry products. Are there really not enough chickens in America to meet our demand?

Chicken is Chicken no doubt

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Are you fucking serious. The US chicken you eat is as bad as anything you're getting from anywhere else. The biggest exporter of chicken in the world in Thailand I believe. Chances are, unless you're buying poultry from a local supplier with free range chickens, then you're buying shit - complaining it's coming from China which would be a worse food source than American chicken is naive and ridiculous.

Tip for telling if a chicken is battery farmed. Look at it's knee joints. If they're rough and swollen looking, that's because it's never been able to stand and the uric acid from it's own urine has irritated and infected where it's been sitting, with it's useless legs underneath it. I pay £13 ($20) for my chicken and the taste and health benefits from that are worth far more. None of it is wasted.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.