Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruz Control

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Cruz Control

Note his remarks to supporters in San Antonio: "After two months in Washington, it's great to be back in America' guess at least that means Texas won't be leaving the Union.

Texans eye Tea Party hero Ted Cruz for US Presidential race

He may have been widely excoriated in Washington for forcing last month's government shutdown and taking America to the brink of default but in his home state Senator Ted Cruz's popularity has suffered not a jot. More than ever, Texan Republicans are indulging in a dream: Cruz for President, 2016. That Mr Cruz, hero of the Tea Party, is only getting hotter was on display even on the first day he returned to the state after the shutdown and received an eight-minute standing ovation from a room of 800 supporters in San Antonio. His response: "After two months in Washington, it's great to be back in America." If he wants to make America in his own ultra-conservative image, Texan Republicans are kitting up to make that happen.
    The extent of his influence in Texas is obvious wherever you look beginning with the 2014 races for state offices, including the governorship, already kicking off. The rush to be Mr Cruz, or even to be to the right of Mr Cruz, is on. As the Dallas News wryly observed this week, candidates are "pushing the anti-gay, anti-illegal immigrant, anti-abortion, pro-gun and pro-religion buttons like Avon ladies at a doorbell convention".
    If Mr Cruz indeed has presidential ambitions - he has only been in the Senate one year - he will surely take encouragement from a post-shutdown poll released this week by the University of Texas at Austin and the Texas Tribune. He is the first choice of 32 per cent of Texas Republicans to be the nominee in 2016, up from 25 per cent in June. Newly elected New Jersey governor Chris Christie is favoured by 4 per cent.
    "He is very secure in the Republican Party right now, in terms of both favourability and name recognition.," noted Jim Henson, head of the Texas Politics Project on campus in Austin and co-director of the poll. "He is where it's at."
    Will he go for it? Top Republican operatives in Austin, from both wings of the party, believe so. "I am not convinced he has made the decision to run for president," says Matt Mackowiak, a conservative Republican consultant in Austin who knows the senator personally. "But I do not believe he will be able to say 'no', because the grassroots will force him to run."
    If Texas, which hasn't seen a Democrat win statewide office since 1994, does propel Mr Cruz to the nomination would it save the Republican Party nationally or put a bomb under it? The senator says he chatted with God during the shutdown while his father, Rafael Cruz, a Cuban-born pastor at Purifying Fire Ministries, recently suggested Barack Obama "should go back to Kenya". He is not a man for the middle.
    His ascent, indeed, speaks directly to the identity crisis that now besets Republicans nationally. Is the gulf between the old guard, the likes of John McCain, and the ever noisier Tea Party contingent bridgeable or not? Will the right-wing drift accelerate? Cruz or Christie in 2016 goes to the heart of the conundrum. While Mr Mackowiak thinks Mr Cruz, 42, could take the nomination if he tries, he has one big caveat: if Hillary Clinton runs for the Democrats, in his book by no means a certainty, then her appeal to the middle, independents and to women may persuade the party that Mr Christie, not Mr Cruz, would be the more viable candidate.
    John Weaver, another Austin-based Republican consultant who worked on both McCain presidential campaigns, says that with its rush to the right the Texas party is driving both itself and the national GOP towards a cliff. It's inevitable at the state level because of a huge influx of Hispanics and Americans from other outside who even if they are Republicans are not with the tea party.
    "The state itself is moving to centre yet our party is moving to the right and ultimately those lines are going to cross," he suggests. "The demographic numbers will get to the point where they will overtake the party. My sense is this is the last gasp, it may last four year or six years of a very right-wing party but ultimately, it will be forced out."
    And Mr Cruz for president? "He may very well be our party's nominee for president in 2016, in which case he will be our George McGovern," he posited, referencing the late US senator from the far Democratic left who won the nomination in 1972 only to be trounced by Richard Nixon. "We probably have a major electoral debacle in our future."
    Mr Mackowiak calls Mr Cruz the "Terminator" because he offers fiscal conservatism, libertarianism, a tie to Hispanics with his Cuban roots and the "courage of his convictions" all in one "very, very, very smart" bundle. "Cruz believes he is a Thatcher. He relies wholly on making the arguments. He doesn't take any of the shots against him personally and he never attacks back personally."
    But he too concedes there may be danger in a Cruz candidacy, evoking instead Barry Goldwater, who came from the far right to win the GOP nod in 1964. He too crashed and burned taking many other Republican candidates down with him. "But you wouldn't have had Reagan, if you didn't have Goldwater."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...e-8927762.html

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Cruz Control

Pre-empted by Stavros on this one... for i was going to post this as well. I think i was perhaps the first to mention "President Cruz" here a few weeks ago. Hopefully if he IS nominated it will take the tea party infection over the cliff and into oblivion. But I would not count on it.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	643525  

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Looks like a dream ticket ben

Gold Poster

I don't think Republicans would be stupid enough to back Cruz for a national ticket. If Christie can get through the primary season without being attacked for his record, he would be an attractive candidate for them. Cruz would be an unmitigated disaster. Of the two strategists, Mackowiak sounds like a shill and a moron.

Still an interesting article. There's so much time you never know what's going to happen.

Gold Poster

That is a good ticket btw Ben. Perhaps a winning ticket. I just like Elizabeth Warren so much more than Hillary, but at this stage I don't imagine Hillary would want to play second fiddle to anyone so the way you have that ticket ordered makes sense. Hillary does come from the established political family and has the name recognition...as well as the baggage.

Eternal optimist Junior Poster beatlephil's Avatar

Everything they're saying about Cruz today they said about Ronald Reagan in 1980. Jimmy Carter danced a jig when Reagan won the the GOP nomination. Reagan won 40 states that November. Look it up.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.
    beatlephil

Gold Poster

Not sure I like that logic Phil. Reagan won despite the fact that some wrote him off as too extreme or ridiculous. Therefore, anyone who is written off as too extreme or ridiculous is the heir apparent to Reagan and will follow in his footsteps?

I have read up a little bit on Cruz and apparently he is well educated and intelligent. But given how absurd he has made himself, he must channel his intelligence into pure ideology rather than using it to position himself strategically.

It remains to be seen if the country is ready for someone so irresponsible that he was willing to use opposition to healthcare as a weapon to threaten our government with insolvency. And if his positions on gay rights and gun control are the same as the rest of the tea party, then the Democratic candidate would have to be very weak for him to win. I just don't think there's demographic support for those views anymore. I really hope I'm right.

As for you, why exactly would you want someone who opposes gun control and gay marriage to win national office?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 11-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Funny, in the USSR, Marxists favored Lysenko against the Darwinian school of evolutionists setting Soviet biology decades behind the West. Now we are to believe Darwinism is a communist lie! Go figure!

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.