Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healthcare.Gov

Senior Member Junior Poster cameron47's Avatar

Default Re: Healthcare.Gov

Broncofan....My service was for the good of my country and I won't even get into what I did while a member of the military. What makes you think I am not doing good things as a civilian? I am through with these discussions regarding the military and whether some people think Veterans deserve free healthcare or not. I know most people have respect for those that have served their country....have a good day.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Serving one's country definitely is respectable, but it doesn't mean every single individual who does it deserves automatic deference. You're the one who brought your military service into play. It's not a matter of whether you deserve free healthcare but of whether other people should have to go without it.

I respect your service, but that doesn't mean that if you are given healthcare you should be so callous about others who don't have it. You have a good one too.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Your healthcare is not free. You earned it. No one here is saying you don’t deserve it. Though someone here seems to be implying that others don’t.

Let’s review what insurance is. People enter into a contract and put money into a pool to be drawn from when a contributor suffers a medical condition covered by the contract. The insurance company invests the pooled money and it draws interest. The company skims a bit (or a bite) of profit off the top. If you’re lucky you will never need to draw on the pool. If you’re not so lucky you’ll have to draw money from the pool. It’s doesn’t take much of a hospital stay for someone to draw out more than they put in or will ever hope to put in. Do they deserve the money they draw out? Did they earn it? They are simply human beings in need, they contributed what they could and took what they needed. OMG the whole idea behind private insurance turns out to be a kind of profit driven communism! The ACA is actually the conservative heritage foundation plan. It’s a sort of eHarmony for linking up private insurers with paying clients. The companies are required to comply with certain regulations (e.g. make plans extendible to children until they’re twenty six, or not allow the companies to refuse clients with pre-existing conditions). In exchange for following the regulations the companies may collect some subsidies to make up for the extra risks the regulations entail. Those of you who have been getting insurance through your employer have already been accepting government subsidies (the money withheld from your paycheck for health insurance is income you don’t pay taxes on). But everybody pays something. Nobody is getting anything absolutely free. Not even you.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 11-03-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.