Professional Poster

Default Thought everyone should know.

Not going to get into a war with any one about the government taking over healthcare, but I did want to let people know how it has affected me.

I have an employer sponsored HSA health plan. My costs to keep the plan are going up exactly 80% and my out of pocket annual maximum has increased over 40% to $6500. Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

Default Re: Thought everyone should know.

Quote Originally Posted by tslvr View Post
    Not going to get into a war with any one about the government taking over healthcare, but I did want to let people know how it has affected me.

I have an employer sponsored HSA health plan. My costs to keep the plan are going up exactly 80% and my out of pocket annual maximum has increased over 40% to $6500. Something is definitely wrong with this picture.
    I appreciate that you're not looking to get into a war, but when you say that the government is "taking over healthcare," your agenda kinda shows.

Around 80% of the U.S. population carries employer-provided health insurance. The vast majority of those people will see little to no change in their policies or premiums. As long as we're trading anecdotes, I work for one of the largest employers in my state, and my premiums have decreased slightly, a total savings of about $150/year. But my previous plan had a higher deductible and no annual out-of-pocket maximum at all. Plus, most of what I visit the doctor for nowadays is preventive care, which is now free.

So I have a better plan for about the same amount of money. I was prepared to see my premiums rise somewhat, but I think the goals of the ACA were worth it. As it turns out, I'll see some savings.

3 out of 4 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

You should also keep in mind that the ACA requires that insurers maintain an 80% medical loss ratio. That means that 80% of your premiums must be paid out in medical benefits.

Your insurer has an incentive to maximize premiums now, because it will be more difficult to raise premiums later. But at the end of next year, if your insurer is still holding on to more than 20% of what you and your employer paid in premiums, then they are required to refund the difference.

So if you are, in fact, overpaying for your premium, you'll get a refund check in 2015.

You also might want to browse the exchange in your state. Since you currently receive employer-sponsored health insurance, you are probably not eligible for a subsidy. But there are some deals to be had there, even without subsidies.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Example of anecdote substituting for data.

Not trying to get into a war? Just trying to make an irrelevant declaration about your personal circumstances to substitute for discussion about the long-term costs and benefits of the affordable care act.

Gold Poster

And I can't think of a more tendentious way of describing PPACA than as the government taking over health care. Also inaccurate.