Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Comedy?

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Default What is Comedy?

I've been thinking about the basic elements of comedy lately. What "is" funny, there has to be some common denominator.

The movies I laugh at have been things like "Caddyshack", it's just screwball funny, or "Whithnail And I", which is brilliant. There's also movies like "Airplane", Robert Stack whipping his sunglasses off at a moment of high tension, to reveal he has another set of sunglasses on as well. Only a truely tough mother fucker would wear two sets.

The Monty Python stuff was great, and the show was one of the funniest things I watched as a kid. Faulty Towers was even better. But I'm not sure it ever got as good as the best Looney Tunes, Bugs and Daffy stuff. Marx Brothers had their moments, but too much singing and dull spots. I mean, I could go on and on.

But what is funny? As a phenomenon or a theory or idea or whatever. I guess it's all in the way a person tells a joke, but I'm trying to dissect what exactly the mechanics are.

I guess I'm just curious as to things that have made other forum members laugh, I think it's an interesting subject, and kinda fun.

What is good comedy?

5 Star Poster

The Big Lebowski was the funniest movie i ever saw

Not my favorite Coen Brothers movie, but not bad.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by johnb
    The Big Lebowski was the funniest movie i ever saw
    the 40 year old virgin is the best

Professional Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comedy

Comedy is the use of humor; sometimes, but not always, in the form of theater, in contrast to a tragedy. A recognized characteristic of comedy is that it is an intensely personal enjoyment. People frequently don't find the same things amusing, but when they do, it can help to create powerful bonds.

Humor being subjective, one may or may not find something humorous because it is either too offensive or not offensive enough. Comedy is judged according to a person’s taste. Some enjoy cerebral fare such as irony or black comedy; others may prefer scatological humor (e.g. the "fart joke") or slapstick. A common gender stereotype that plays on this convention is that men love the comedy of The Three Stooges, while women do not.

5 Star Poster

Just some of my choices for funniest movies ever in random order:

The Jerk (You mean I'm gonna STAY this color?)
    Blazing Saddles
    High Anxiety
    The Odd Couple
    There's Something About Mary
    Take the Money and Run
    Airplane!
    Throw Momma off the Train
    This is Spinal Tap
    Raising Arizona
    Withnail and I
    Shaun of the Dead
    Keeping Mom
    Team America- World Police
    All of Me
    Duck Soup
    The Producers
    Shrek
    Animal House

That said, there have been some comedies that have been excellent, but they haven't produced a laugh a minute like the films above. These would include films like Some Like it Hot and La Vita e Bella, two of my favourite movies.

Finally, when it comes to TV comedy my choices would be Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, The Office (I have not seen the US version, though, only the original), Little Britain, Goodness Gracious Me, Father Ted, Seinfeld, Ali G (original UK version and the US version). And for cheap slapstick, I actually like Mr Bean and the Benny Hill show.

As for film and standup comedians, I'd rate Peter Cook at number one, then, in random order, Steve Martin, Peter Sellers, Eddie Murphy, Bill Cosby, Richard Pryor, Rowan Atkinson, Robin Williams and Ben Elton.

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Soooo. . . interesting input thus far. I would have to strongly disagree with This Is Spinal Tap, but I do know countless people who are fanatics about that movie. I don't get what the big deal is, I think I chuckled a couple times but I'm sure I never laughed out loud. I like that dry sort of humor, but Spinal Tap just seemed like it was trying to hard to be funny.

I mean no offense to fans of it, but I thought it sucked. So there. :P

I think two crucial elements of comedy are surprise and wit, but that's just me. I hate surprises in real life, prefere to know whats going on involving my personal enviroment, but in entertainment it's the key to humor.

There's a commercial out now where a guy is telling this other guy about his new phone and all it's features. It's set-up like a normal commercial, then. . .

Well, I won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it's funny. And clever, and that's what I like about comedy.

Another question is: if a person intends to make a living producing comedy is it better to figure out what would be more successful commercially, or just be true to their own form and make things they think are funny, the masses be damned! I think it's actually best to go for the money, then go for. . . well, "art" seems a bit strong a word, but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Heh, I can just see this thread becoming another mini blog where I rant on and on once a day about a subject that most people who frequent a TS board wouldn't have any possible interest in (Thanos is probably going to start charging me for use of the forum space).

But I'm goofy that way.

Veteran Poster

You definetly have a good list LG.

I say: Animal House, Blazing Saddles and Duck Soup. I think Young Frankenstein is up there too.

Default Re: What is Comedy?

Quote Originally Posted by hondarobot
    I've been thinking about the basic elements of comedy lately. What "is" funny, there has to be some common denominator.

The movies I laugh at have been things like "Caddyshack", it's just screwball funny, or "Whithnail And I", which is brilliant. There's also movies like "Airplane", Robert Stack whipping his sunglasses off at a moment of high tension, to reveal he has another set of sunglasses on as well. Only a truely tough mother fucker would wear two sets.

The Monty Python stuff was great, and the show was one of the funniest things I watched as a kid. Faulty Towers was even better. But I'm not sure it ever got as good as the best Looney Tunes, Bugs and Daffy stuff. Marx Brothers had their moments, but too much singing and dull spots. I mean, I could go on and on.

But what is funny? As a phenomenon or a theory or idea or whatever. I guess it's all in the way a person tells a joke, but I'm trying to dissect what exactly the mechanics are.

I guess I'm just curious as to things that have made other forum members laugh, I think it's an interesting subject, and kinda fun.

What is good comedy?
    Fucking Honda, to answer this would require a thesis of extraordinary length. And it in of itself would not be funny. Funny is funny. there are so many components and avenues of aproach. You're right, so much in comedy depends on timing, delivery and presentation...the manipulation of language, phrases, and words. ENOUGH OF THIS PALAVER! ..... I almost got sucked into writing a thesis. Movies: Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack, Airplane, the first Austin Powers Movie, are all classic laugh out loud funny. And more will come to mind. Jay and Silent Bob in Clerks. W.C. Fields, Groucho understated humor.

TV - South Park (fantastic), Three Stooges, damn I could go on and on...

Duos - Opie & Anthony (straight man/funny man) one sets up the other, Laurel & Hardy, Abbot & Costello

Stand up- Denis Leary, Lenny Clark, Jim Norton, Billy Burr, Patrice O'Neil- fucking hilarious.

Warner Brothers Cartoons, Rocky & Bulwinkle, Underdog and other series by it's creator like Tennessee Tuxedo

Enough! I can't write anymore...there are so many I left out! Sanford and Sons! STOP

AND HAS ANYONE SEEN THIS UNKNOWN MOVIE...EVIL ROY SLADE?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evil1_518.jpeg 
Views:	972 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	47310  

Robin Williams, Monty Python, Peter Sellers, Douglas Addams, Joseph Heller......

DAMN YOU HONDA ROBOT! I'CAN'T STOP! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

The Farrelly Brothers, Jay Leno, Bernard McGirk, Rob Bartlett.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planetpercent20ofpercent20thepercent20apespercent2055percent203_31_5_195.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	47311