Default Great Story: Ex-Marine fends off armed robbers, kills 1

Great fluff story posted on CNN:

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A former Marine cook used a pocketknife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, was walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said. One attacker had a shotgun, and another had a pistol.

"My first instinct was to run, but they cornered me, so I had no other choice than to defend myself," Autry said. (Watch how the 6-foot-6 ex-Marine got ready to fight for his life -- 3:29)

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car, but police found them later at a hospital, where the girl was pronounced dead. The stabbed man was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and assault charges and are suspected in other recent robberies, Stephens said.

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

Autry said he was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving for four years. The Department of Defense confirmed his service.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Semper Fi

Junior Poster

sounds like the movie "A history of violence"

Default Re: Great Story: Ex-Marine fends off armed robbers, kills 1

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Great fluff story posted on CNN:

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- A former Marine cook used a pocketknife to fend off a group of would-be robbers, killing one and wounding another, police said.

Thomas Autry, who authorities said will not be charged, was walking home from his job waiting tables Monday night when four people got out of a car and chased him, Atlanta police detective Danny Stephens said. One attacker had a shotgun, and another had a pistol.

"My first instinct was to run, but they cornered me, so I had no other choice than to defend myself," Autry said. (Watch how the 6-foot-6 ex-Marine got ready to fight for his life -- 3:29)

The suspects caught up with Autry, who yelled for help and pulled a knife out of his backpack. He kicked the shotgun out of one of the attacker's hands and stabbed both a 17-year-old girl who jumped on him and a man who also attacked him.

The suspects fled in their car, but police found them later at a hospital, where the girl was pronounced dead. The stabbed man was in critical condition, Stephens said.

Autry's attackers will face robbery and assault charges and are suspected in other recent robberies, Stephens said.

Autry, 36, suffered a cut to his hand and a bruise on his chest, Stephens said.

Autry said he was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving for four years. The Department of Defense confirmed his service.

-Quinn
    Nothing better than seeing scumbags get their comeuppance!

Professional Poster

There's 2 sides to every story. They were probably just asking for directions. And instead of a map and their mag-lite, they grabbed the shotgun. Oops.

But seriously, I feel bad for the girl's family. I've done plenty of dumb shit in my younger years, but nothing quite as dumb as that I suppose. She ends up dead because of dumb choices. I hardly think she was the mastermind of that crew.

My witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheQuick
    There's 2 sides to every story. They were probably just asking for directions. And instead of a map and their mag-lite, they grabbed the shotgun. Oops.

But seriously, I feel bad for the girl's family. I've done plenty of dumb shit in my younger years, but nothing quite as dumb as that I suppose. She ends up dead because of dumb choices. I hardly think she was the mastermind of that crew.
    They actually have a taped interview with him posted on CNN's website. When they asked him if he was a hero, he responded with something very similar, stating that he felt terrible about killing the girl and that he would have to live with it the rest of his life. He wasn't just saying it for the benefit of the media; you could tell that he was really serious.

All in all, the guy seemed like a very easy going sort of fellow.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Junior Poster

Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Junior Poster

Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.