Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default Re: Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman

Quote Originally Posted by sabre666 View Post
    S
    All I'm saying is acknowledge that they have done something you haven't, experienced something you haven't and have knowledge of things you don't.
    The reverse is also true.
    That's not an insult, it is simply what is.
    Huh? No. I'm educated (or educate myself), I read and more importantly, I talk and listen to people, I don't need to have experienced working in a law firm, to know what people in a law firm do. Would you give someone who was a mechanic in the army ... or a security guard ... or a prison warden, respect, simply because they were doing what effectively could be a civilian job, yet military? I wouldn't.
    If one CHOOSEs to take a military career (and it should be a choice) well that's great but one chose it for the pay, for the benefits and education or because that person felt it was a job they would get satisfaction from, so I'm not simply going to respect someone because they took a job with a uniform, the same as I wouldn't respect Paul Blart - Mall Cop.
    If someone is out there putting their life in danger for our freedoms, or freedoms that I believe in, if someone is taking risks and suffering hardships to try and help others, then I have all the respect for them in uniform or not.

No, I'm not from NYC although have spent some time there.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster sabre666's Avatar

{"Until the other side is dead"????? Really? Is that your take of these "ism wars"?}
    That's actually a take on all wars. Can you tell me of anytime that 1 side has ever been the one to say it's over without the other side agreeing ?
    Except the French of course (they usually seem to surrender before it starts! LoL, JK).
    I'm not talking about a cease-fire until a negotiated peace can be reached but an actual shooting war.
    And the reason I said Radical Islam is that none of the others are engaged in a world-wide battle to enforce their will on the entire world through violence on a grand scale.
    That being said, Radical anything is distasteful at best, evil at worst.

Now this is an enjoyable debate. LoL

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Huh? No. I'm educated (or educate myself), I read and more importantly, I talk and listen to people, I don't need to have experienced working in a law firm, to know what people in a law firm do. Would you give someone who was a mechanic in the army ... or a security guard ... or a prison warden, respect, simply because they were doing what effectively could be a civilian job, yet military? I wouldn't.
    If one CHOOSEs to take a military career (and it should be a choice) well that's great but one chose it for the pay, for the benefits and education or because that person felt it was a job they would get satisfaction from, so I'm not simply going to respect someone because they took a job with a uniform, the same as I wouldn't respect Paul Blart - Mall Cop.
    If someone is out there putting their life in danger for our freedoms, or freedoms that I believe in, if someone is taking risks and suffering hardships to try and help others, then I have all the respect for them in uniform or not.

No, I'm not from NYC although have spent some time there.
    Valid points, and were it so simple, you would be correct.
    The difference is that every member of the military is a rifleman first (essentially everyone starts out as infantry) and has to be able to engage in combat when necessary.
    Some GI who spent his entire career in, say, Fort Hamilton, who has been a REMF (Rear Echelon Mother Fucker), still if the balloon goes up, has to man up, grab a weapon and move out.
    Now, you're right, many do it simply for a paycheck.
    However many, myself included did it for something bigger.
    We didn't do it because we had nothing else to do (I had my college degree and a steady job when I enlisted (granted it was the Reserves) and there was no war on at the time, but if it had called, I would have gone to war).
    We did it because someone HAS TO, and I decided that I could not ask someone to do that for me, if I was not willing to do it for them. Most of my brethren feel the same way. Joeninety said people are sheep and many are. But because of that we need Sheepdogs to keep the wolves at bay.
    I do not begrudge those that never chose to. That was their choice and I'm glad they are free to make it so.

Last edited by sabre666; 08-26-2013 at 12:44 AM. Reason: addtional info

Someone has too? Then you are a zealot - or you are a sheep?
    You didn't have to do it - you chose to do it. It wasn't a benevolent or a charitable thing, you did it to make you feel good/get self-worth/take the best option.
    That's all there is to it.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

BTW, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
    Sorry about that.

BTW, I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.
    Sorry about that.
    It wasn't my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Someone has too? Then you are a zealot - or you are a sheep?
    You didn't have to do it - you chose to do it. It wasn't a benevolent or a charitable thing, you did it to make you feel good/get self-worth/take the best option.
    That's all there is to it.
    Wow, That's pretty cynical. Everyone in the military is either a zealot or a mercenary?

Senior Member Silver Poster EvaCassini's Avatar

{"Until the other side is dead"????? Really? Is that your take of these "ism wars"?}
    That's actually a take on all wars. Can you tell me of anytime that 1 side has ever been the one to say it's over without the other side agreeing ?
    Except the French of course (they usually seem to surrender before it starts! LoL, JK).
    I'm not talking about a cease-fire until a negotiated peace can be reached but an actual shooting war.
    And the reason I said Radical Islam is that none of the others are engaged in a world-wide battle to enforce their will on the entire world through violence on a grand scale.
    That being said, Radical anything is distasteful at best, evil at worst.

Now this is an enjoyable debate. LoL

How about be the "bigger man/country/military" and turn the other cheek? Instead of going "Gung-ho" into a battle which puts an absolute strain on our country.

The United States, by far, has the largest technologically advanced military force in the world. Trust me, I have worked on this shit.

The reason "Baby Face Jong Un" hasn't done a damn thing and acted on his petty threats is because he knows!

The US Navy has the most advanced tech, offense and defense, opposed to North Korea, and among all other nations. We have complete "show of force" out there. I was stationed the USS Fitzgerald DDG 62 Aegis Destroyer. That ship was, and still is the "USS Enterprise" of the modern age. ( The Picard one ). I have been on so many missions on that ship and it is the best ship on the pond.

How about domestic shootings and murder? There are literally more deaths cause by shootings in this country then your little "War on Terrorism". Your little "War on Terror" was started by whom......hmmm who was that????

Oh yeah, George W. Bush. The man who shoved us into this bullshit and took away our freedoms. Also dumbing down our national education. He was, and still is the reason we got into this shit. Yes, 9/11 happened. Yes, we got retribution. But as a society, where are we now? Still throwing prick shaped missiles over at all the "Islamists". Trust me, I am not a fan of religious activities, but hell, they have their doctrine that tells them to go to war...AND turn the other cheek. Guess what...so do we ( as Americans ). It's called the bible.

I am not religious, but I know more than enough about religion that any book can be taken out of context and used as a sword. Any person who has a radical mindset can abuse this. America is not safe from doing this either.

We are not a civilization. You have to be civil first. We are a society. Simply a greedy, consuming, and violent society the world over.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

"That ship was, and still is the "USS Enterprise" of the modern age. ( The Picard one )."
    Eww, really? Picard? Kirk was the shit! Not the new one either. He's a putz. But I will agree the 1701-Echo was an awesome ship!
    LMAO

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Wow, you just can't let something go without a snide/condescending comeback?
    Tried to find neutral ground, but you've got to take a last jab after the bell.
    SMH

You idiot I wasn't having a dig I was actually being sincere

0 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Evie this bad boys just for you, and good luck with everything xxx