Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

Default Eisoptrophobia - What's your phobia?

I just wanted to share my phobia today. I have the fear of seeing myself in the mirror or esioptrophobia. Everyday I wake up sometimes it takes me hours to actual go into the bathroom because of the fear of seeing that person in the mirror. When I wake up I feel literally like a girl so to actually see myself as someone different before I get ready it feels really frightening. I don't feel like a girl trapped in a guy's body. I feel like a girl and then realize I'm trapped in a guy's body.

I think this comes from my mom because she has the same thing. She has a fear of seeing herself in pictures and there's barely any photos of her. The only photo I've seen of her by herself was her high school photo.

So does anyone else have any phobia's?

Senior Member Silver Poster EvaCassini's Avatar

Default Re: Eisoptrophobia - What's your phobia?

i think that is basically typical of all TS's, not a literal "phobia".

"Esioptrophobia", what seems most logical to me, is most likely something that springs forth from fear of "vampires" and "ye olde superstitions".

Not too long ago ( before science was well known and accepted ) a very big fear a vampires was real. Not because of Bram Stoker, but because of "Yersinia Pestis", AKA the "Black Death". Later, Vlad the Impaler, and then Bram's book and with that, the people panic, rumors ensue and then become bent and misconstrued to the point of "blood sucking", "turning into bats", "werewolves", "witches", "black cats", "omens" and of coarse "No reflection".

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Arachnaphobia

Stylin & Profilin Veteran Poster Johnny.Blaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvaCassini View Post

"Esioptrophobia", what seems most logical to me, is most likely something that springs forth from fear of "vampires" and "ye olde superstitions".

Not too long ago ( before science was well known and accepted ) a very big fear a vampires was real. Not because of Bram Stoker, but because of "Yersinia Pestis", AKA the "Black Death". Later, Vlad the Impaler, and then Bram's book and with that, the people panic, rumors ensue and then become bent and misconstrued to the point of "blood sucking", "turning into bats", "werewolves", "witches", "black cats", "omens" and of coarse "No reflection".
    Brilliantly Put Eva:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	are-you-an-evil-genius.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	609886  

This Is The Life:

Junior Member Rookie Poster Zero Gravitas's Avatar

Phobophobia. Its a doozy. Accounts for a lot my sentences beginning with, "How the hell do I get out of this", usually followed by, "How the the hell did get into this on the first place".

Love long and proper.

Senior Member Junior Poster Toadily's Avatar

Famous Eisoptrophobia sufferers.

Poor pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Arachnaphobia
    Anoraknaphobia.

I can't abide trainspotters.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Parthenophobia: A fear of virgins.

Conversely, they are afraid of me a la bogonophobia: A fear of people with beards.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

It is a phobia if I can't look into the mirror because of fear. It extends farther out than just vampires in modern times. People have sometimes have unexplainable phobia's.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Stoker wrote Dracula at the end of the 19th century. Vampires weren't much of a topic in Western Europe or the rest of the world at that time. Part of the reason his book became popular was because he based the character on an historical character and used real real towns and castles in Transylvania as a back-drop.

In some parts of Eastern Europe the vampire legends continues on through today. I saw this in Romania when I was there.

To your original point about Esioptrophobia, aren't ALL phobias rooted in some primal fear? I mean everything we have today is based in something from yesterday which is based on something from the day before, etc going back to our origins. The object on which we centre that fear - such as mirrors - may be different though.