Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: LGBT lost in TRANSlation?

As I said before, the LGBT community is not an official entity. The letters are not an official acronym. It is not a support group. It is a set of social and political issues. When they arise in conversation you either speak for or against those issues, or you listen or you move on to another conversation. When LGBT issues come up at the polling booth you either vote for them, against or leave the box unchecked. You canvas for those issues, against them or neither. You don't get a card to carry in your purse or wallet. There are (in almost every city and college town) groups that call themselves LGBT, or LGBTF (F for "and friends") and other strange combinations of letters involving LGBT. They often are in contact with each other and yes sometimes they act are support groups for their members, but more often they are grass roots hubs for political activism. If one feels transsexuals are not proportionately represented then all transsexuals have to do is be active and add to the conversation. I don't need a support group either. But it doesn't follow that there aren't political and moral issues that could use my support.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 07-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.