Page 1 of 23 12345611 ... LastLast
    She RoXXX! Professional Poster LilyRox's Avatar

Default LGBT lost in TRANSlation?

Just want to talk about LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender). I often look up stuff a lot and I found with a lot of sites that use LGBT often use this term just to describe the gay/lesbian community.

I don't think I'll ever understand. I don't even consider myself a part of the gay/lesbian community. Anyways sometimes they'll use LGBT without any mention of the transgender community at all, with just referring to gay/lesbian people.

I also don't get the bisexual part of the LGBT. I NEVER hear any mention of bisexual people when people use this term. I feel like it's just an add on to bulk up the term.

I feel like they just kind of grouped transgender into the LGB category to group a minority. I never felt correlated with gay/lesbian people.

I mean it's just an okay term if you're actually talking about everyone in the group, but so many times I'll see it used to talk about just transgender people or just gay/lesbian people. Bisexual doesn't even seem like part of it, the way people talk about it.

What do you guys think about it? I feel all these groups are so far a part that to actually talk about every single one is so rare there isn't even a need for the LGBT acronym. The other main issue I have is the terms lesbian, gay, and bisexual are sexual orientations, transgender isn't.

Maybe I just think about things too much.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster Ananke's Avatar

Default Re: LGBT lost in TRANSlation?

Another good example of the need of people to put everyone in categories!

Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

If you think that's rough, try being a member of the chaser community...

2 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

LGBT is a community that has some political clout. If they're feeling inclusive enough to include you, my advise is: don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

There is power in numbers and each group is has the common issue of being singled out for their sexual preferences.

How well LGBT serves either bi's or transexuals is a fair question. Just the same there is IMO a binding knot of discrimination based completely on sexual orientation .

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    LGBT is a community that has some political clout. If they're feeling inclusive enough to include you, my advise is: don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    They're usually not, though. Trans people are pavement for the busses and bi-sexuals are considered 'confused.' The LGBT community has never done a thing for me or others like me who are neither G nor L.

So. MANY. ACRONYMS! And they're all worthless.

~BB~

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by fivekatz View Post
    There is power in numbers and each group is has the common issue of being singled out for their sexual preferences.

How well LGBT serves either bi's or transexuals is a fair question. Just the same there is IMO a binding knot of discrimination based completely on sexual orientation .

There are well-established groups of gay men and lesbian women who are openly and actively hostile to trans people.

Just for once there's genuine irony when previously persecuted minorities start to stigmatise and attack other groups.

But then that's basically the history of every religion too.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fivekatz View Post

Being transsexual has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

While I agree, Trans has completely different issues and concerns that in general have little in common with Gay/Lesbian/Bi, it would be foolhardy to ignore the causes that have been fought by the LGBT organizations on behalf of Trans people. We didn't get equal employment rights etc, just on the basis of companies wanting to do whats right for trans people, LGBT and Trans organizations pushed those causes on our behalf. Now, if you choose not to work regular 9-5 jobs (like myself, love self employment lol) and therefore don't personally see any benefit from that, that is one owns personal choice.

Here in Va, it is the LGBT center that provides the quick and easy process of getting a F gender marker for the DMV to put on your State ID/Driver License etc. A year ago, pre op trans women couldn't get a F on their ID at all, so I'm totally thankfully for anyone that helps push our cause even if they (I too admit) don't push our cause as equally as Gay/Lesbian, something is better than nothing.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Grooby, Your My Hero!!!

www.tgirlbeauty.com
    www.blacktgirlsluts.com
    www.shemalebondagevideo.com

Positivity is Prosperity, Negativity is 360 and it comes back Eventually!

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by maddygirl View Post
    Being transsexual has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation.
    Maybe my language is off or ignorant of the correct term but how could the fact that a person wants to be the opposite sex as they are born not be as matter of orientation. A born genitally girl, who is a boy living in that body. I could think of better phrase that orientation.

It is interesting times are coming because this the next great civil rights front and it crosses every on societies "lines". These people that the many want deny rights and the same happiness they enjoy in the US are going be shocked to find that this movement will have members from all religions, races and economic classes as well.