Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031 LastLast

Default Re: TV Shows...What are you following?

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Three claims for which there is not a shred of evidence.
    The "shreds of evidence" are in his Netflix series.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I think you might be taking the Michael, as they say politely.
    I'm not. What about the evidence for the great flood in the Sahara about 12,000 years ago?

What about the new lost civilization found in the Amazon last year?

https://www.livescience.com/lidar-re...on-settlements

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_willy View Post

The "shreds of evidence" are in his Netflix series.
    --No, only speculation void of facts.

I'm not. What about the evidence for the great flood in the Sahara about 12,000 years ago?
    --What does the flood argument prove with regard to Hancock's claims of a civilization that existed more than 10,000 years ago? Archaeologists have argued there was a civilized presence in the Sahara, but not 10,000 years ago but cAD1-500 (Christian Era).
    Lost Civilisation Discovered in Sahara | Archaeology | Sci-News.com

What about the new lost civilization found in the Amazon last year?
    --Again, not 10,000 years ago or more as Hancock claims, but as your own link reports: "The findings indicate the mysterious Casarabe people — who lived in the Llanos de Mojos region of the Amazon basin between A.D. 500 and 1400 ".

I don't see anything to support Hancock's claims, and after more than 30 years it would surely be better for him to either prove his arguments with verifiable facts, or just shut up. It is inevitable that we will find 'lost' communities here, there and everywhere, and their disappearance will usually be explained quite simply and due to the inability to sustain life, ie, because of drought, famine, and so on. Hancock wants an advanced civilization whose existence has been suppressed by academics to protect their funded projects, but this merely relegates his books and videos to a giant conspiracy theory which he cannot prove because there is no evidence. It is tiresome, but it attracts people who think most of what 'we' are told is not true, when most often the truth is not just right there, but rather boring and therefore not good TV.

Last edited by rodinuk; 02-19-2023 at 12:36 PM. Reason: tag fix

Better (Sister Films, broadcast on BBC 1, 2023)

A rising star in CID used an informant to make arrests and in return he has financed her husband's building firm. She has also helped eliminate his competition in Leeds so that when this series begins, he is a major drug dealer and the series charts the growing tensions she has with her former informant. I made it to the end of the second episode and I don't think I can take any more. Andrew Buchan dons a Northern Ireland accent to play Col McHugh, though he was born in England. The script is poor, and the acting so-so. One wonders given that Sergeant Cawood in Happy Valley is not in cahoots with local crime, how many more dramas about bent coppers we can take.

Not sure why it is called 'Better', and don't think people outside the UK can watch it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16867040/
    Cunk on Earth
    I really liked this and wish it was longer. Admittedly, watched it mostly stoned…but saw the trailer sober and still thought it was funny enough to lure me in. Now on Netflix.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16867040/
    Cunk on Earth
    I really liked this and wish it was longer. Admittedly, watched it mostly stoned…but saw the trailer sober and still thought it was funny enough to lure me in. Now on Netflix.
    If you can find it in the US, Motherland is a light comedy with Diane Morgan and others that is constantly under-rated. It might be best you watch that stoned too!
    Morgan is from Bolton (as is Ian McKellen) and the details are here
    Diane Morgan - Wikipedia

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Unforgotten, Series 5 (broadcast on ITVx.com, 2023)

The new series maintains the established format: in episode one a dead body is found and as the team organizes the forensics to determine who, when and how, we are introduced to 4 apparently random people from different background, whose links to each other do not become clear until later episodes. In this series, at least one of the four could have been left out and it would not have made a difference, The politics is tired by now, but the handling of dysfunctional families, drugs, alcohol and violence is quite well done. Martina Laird as Bele is the stand out performance of a damaged woman seeking real change and redemption, not bad in a cast of chronic liars.
    The replacement for team leader Cassie who died in the last series, is an actor of limited ability, indeed if this is the best they can come up, Forgotten might be a better title and the drama series permanently laid to rest. I binged watched all episodes over two days

A more general gripe is the personal stories of the two team leaders-James and Khan. I am really not interested in divorced father of two daughters and his new partner, or Jessie James's failing marriage. Rather than being an accompaniment to the other failed -if not lethally so- families on show, I would rather see Detectives dealing with sordid issues at work, return to a happy family, the contrast being with something that works with something that doesn't. We have got to used to the 57 Varieties of Tec, from cynical often alcoholic, messy home/spartan home; loves opera or loves Jazz, has girlfriends/no friends and so on, I wonder if the only Happy Tec on tv over the years has been Colombo, and we never did get to see his wife.

Unforgotten - Series 5 - Episode 1 - ITVX

Little Dorrit (BBC, 2008 )

I don't recall seeing this at the time, and binged watched the whole thing in one day. It is a good rendition of one of Dickens most complex stories, though it suffers from the anti-politics that means people don't work their way out of poverty or that poverty is diminished by social and political change, but have benefactors, or sudden wealth equivalent to winning the lottery. It does also mean the concept of the Prison is found throughout the book, but it does have sharply etched characters that are a dream for actors, acting being Dickens first love before he began writing. Claire Foy is outstanding as Little Dorrit, though there are some dubious interpretations, eg Miss Wade. And while there is symbolic value in the collapse of the Clennam building, it is part of the Dickens melodrama. Worth watching though if you can see it in the UK, not sure if it is available elsewhere.

Senior Member Gold Poster KnightHawk 2.0's Avatar

NCIS Hawaii.

Succession, Season 1 (Jesse Armstrong/Gary Sanchez Productions, etc, 2018 )

"Are we good?"
    "Yes, we're good. How about you, you good?"
    "I'm good. Are you good?".
    "Yep, I'm good".

Unoriginal, much as JK Rowling poached her way through European literature to concoct Harry Potter, Jesse Armstrong has poached his way through numerous variations on the dysfunctional family theme, wrapped it in obscene wealth, and recruited at least two fine actors -Harriet Walter and Hiam Abbass. When people are this selfish, nasty and rude, it is hard, if not impossible to feel for them, so I bought this season on DVD and am in two minds about staying with it.

The music seems to be a mash-up of Schubert's song Ständchen (D899) and a below-par Keith Jarrett and sticks in the head for a long time, causing a nuisance. The only remedy is to go to the original, written shortly before Schubert died and which he never heard performed -sung here by the late Peter Schreier.

The White Lotus (Mike White, 2021)

I bought season 1 on DVD knowing nothing about it, and by the time I got to the end of episode 3 on disk 1 I had to ask myself, do I want to persevere with it? Well I bought it, so I did. I guess if you have seen Grand Hotel, The Love Boat, or Fantasy Island you will understand the concept. It is not done well. The script is as abysmal as the acting. It was filmed in a resort on the island of Maui, one to avoid at all costs.