Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: TV Shows...What are you following?

[QUOTE=Torris;1963540]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post

You obviously haven’t watched the four episodes.
    No, because I don't subscribe to streaming companies. I wonder why there are four rather than one, and I note you seem to dismiss the article by Lucy Mangan that I linked before which does at least raise questons about Mia Farrow and her intentions. I don't know the truth of this, and for what it's worth Mia Farrow comes across as a strident champion of her own views and is as repulsive as Woody Allen, whose films I have considered over-rated for most of his career. I don't think he can be compared to Michael Jackson, so this all really turns on an allegation that has never been proven and probably never will be. I sometimes think this is just a very public, and a very bitter argument between two people whose relationship fell apart and whose acrimony we are supposed to find 'interesting'.

Westworld, Season 1 (2016)

This elaborate extension of the feature film is an interesting take on the philosophical issues in FH Bradley 's Appearance and Reality, while one of the main characters having said in one episode 'we are the Gods here', in another quotes Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It is an odd thing to quote as elsewhere he says one aim of the Park called Westworld is to enable humans to act out their violent fantasies without guilt or real damage -all the 'Hosts' that are killed can be patched up and returned to the park-whereas the original intention behind Frankenstein was to clone a human being, not a monster. Indeed, the assumption that if free to act outside of any law or moral, people will pursue either sexual gratification or violence is a thin plot line, just as the 'Sentient' Robot is the stuff of numerous films and TV series, with rebelllion being a popular theme, so in this sense there is nothing original in Westworld. For that reason, and because it took me five episodes before I could take any interest, but never in the characters, I won't be watching the succeeding seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appearance_and_Reality

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

The Queen’s Gambit (2020)

I know nothing about chess, and have not read the book from which this series was made. I enjoyed it even though most of it is predictable, though it sort of deals with addiction which was a problem for the author of the book. I was hoping for more clarity on how Beth becomes an orphan but other than that it was a friend’s Netflix account so it cost me nothing other than my time.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Mare of Eastown (HBO, 2021)

Life in Pennsylvania is grim, and not even Kate Winslet with her RADA-via-Hollywood accent can rescue this miserable slice of American pie from the predictable sequences, the unpredictable reveal at the end, the vacuous music, or the creepy feeling that if one girl had not become so demanding, indeed, threatening, the main story line might never have happened. That the women to blame are either rescued or not by so flawed a woman as Mare does not suggest 'women' in America, dare I say the 'biological majority' -?- are having the best of times. As for the Roman Catholic Church with its cult of Mary, one is inclined to sing- 'so long Marianne, don't come back to us again...'.

I watched the whole thing in one session. And I do like Kate Winslet, and I will never forget the sight of her nude, voluptuous body 'dripping' in Holy Smoke (1999 and much under-rated along with her early work), but she can do better than this.

Vigil (World Productions, for the BBC, 2021)

Recruitment levels to the Royal Navy just, well, sank like a stone.

Zero Days: Nuclear Cyber Sabotage (2017)

This documentary by Alex Gibney was broadcast on BBC Four in the excellent Storyville series. It is a disturbing account of the use of internet worms to sabotage Iran's nuclear development programme. It worked so well that even though Iran suspected Israel and the US as being responsible they had no proof because the 'Stuxnet' worm was all but invisible -but then the Israelis went in on their own, and now the whole world knows what Stuxnet is or was and more worryingly, realizes that there are software programmes that can shut down power grids, railways, broadcasting, the internet.....what 'we' used against 'them' they can now use against us.

This is the link in the UK-
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...cyber-sabotage

Just started watching the first season of "The Cleaner "
    IMHO ,very witty and well done comedy.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cl...ish_TV_series)

The Tower (ITV)

Dire, the only word I can find to describe this. And another Lesbian detective, as in Vigil. Makes no difference when the plot and the script are this bad.

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-tower/10...SAAEgKQwvD_BwE

Impeachment: American Crime Story (2021)

I watched the first episode and part of the second, when I decided that if such horrible people are going to parade their insecurities and shit-eating proclivities on screen, they can do it without me. Imagine some people may actually pay to watch this! So Bill lied about having sex with that woman, who cares? Was it a threat to national security? Were the Russians involved? And the woman, who has a producer credit in this, had already had an affair with a married man before 'falling' for Bill. Much as I like Sarah Poulson, and she does a good job, I assume, of portraying what a grasping, resentful scheming monster Linda Tripp was, I just don't need to know more.

One dreads the thought of a 'drama' featuring Cry-Baby Trump, how many series will that need? And will they get Britney Spears to play Ivana Marie?

Spend the money on some real drama, and real crimes, if that is the brief.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Apple's "Invasion", "Titans" and "Doom Patrol" (HBO Max).....

"I am, a SIGMA Male...