Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031 LastLast
    Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: TV Shows...What are you following?

I've been enamored with Astrid et Raphaelle, French TV series about an autistic woman (Astrid) and her relationship with a police commander (Raphaelle). Three seasons so far. If anyone has a link to season 4 please post it.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Star Trek Picard, which finished a couple of months ago. Was great to see the old TNG cast back together.
    Jeri Ryan was still hot. hotter than in Voyager. a true milf.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Member Rookie Poster

One of my favorites as well.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Wolf (Directed by Krystoffer Nyholm, 2023)

This garbage is currently airing on BBC 1, but can be watched in it's entirety on the BBC iPlayer. It is a fusion of the slasher film Halloween, and Michael Haneke's abysmal film Funny Games, so not funny, and not original either. The music is even worse, employing the by now tired motif of the extended, declining chord, which I think was first assigned to the trombone in Act 1 of Shostakovich's opera, Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, which elevates this Wolf nonsense to a level it doesn't merit.

Shadow of Truth (2016-2023)
    This Israeli documentary on the murder of a schoolgirl in a school toilet in Katzrin became notorious in Israel as a case of the police exacting a false confession from an immigrant from the Ukraine who is eventually released after 15 years in prison. The BBC version is in five episodes and has the most extraordinary documentary footage from the crime scene and the interrogations of the suspect as well as footage of attempts by a police informer sharing a cell to get the accused to confess. As to who did murder the girl, the later episodes concern allegations so bizarre you realize the fictional murder mysteries that pollute tv screens these days haven't a clue as to how weird reality can be, though the person accused refused to take part in the films. Compelling, recommended.

BBC iPlayer - Shadow of Truth - Series 1: 1. A Dark Overture

The Devil's Confession: the Lost Eichmann Tapes (aired on the BBC in 2023, link below).

This remarkable two-part documentary brings into the public eye or ear, the tapes of Adolf Eichmann not confessing, but boasting of his role as the 'functionary' who organized the European holocaust. It alternates between the tapes and the trial in Israel that followed Eichmann's abduction from Argentina where he lived among other ex-Nazis after the War. The article in the New York Times, linked below and not hidden behind a paywall is worth reading as a summary, not least because it touches on the still controversial issue of the fate of the Hungarian Jews, most of whom were rounded up and slaughtered by Eichmann's 'machine -other than some of the richer and well-connected Jews who were saved by a man called Kastner in what remains a darker story for Israel given the role played by David Ben-Gurion in the matter, a man who had also ensured that the ex-Nazi who served in Konrad Adenauer's West German government was not brought into court as at the time Israel needed German money and expertise in the development of a nuclear weapon. Another link refers to an article which argues that Ben-Gurion used the Eichmann trial, the first nationwide confrontation of Israel with the reality of the Holocaust, to offer a 're-narration' in which in contemporary Israel, the threat posed by the Nazis is transferred to the Arabs.

It is an astonishing two-part documentary, but what struck me most, was that Eichmann told a pack of lies to the Court for a simple reason -not to save himself, as he knew his fate was execution- but because he regarded Jews and the Israeli Court with absolute contempt and thus unworthy of the candid truth he shared with his ex-Nazi chums.

BBC iPlayer - The Devil’s Confession: The Lost Eichmann Tapes - Series 1: 1. The Hunt

Nazi Tapes Provide a Chilling Sequel to the Eichmann Trial - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Victimhood Nationalism in Israel: The Eichmann Trial’s Role in Israeli Foreign Policy Discourse | From the Ashes of History: Collective Trauma and the Making of International Politics | Oxford Academic (oup.com)

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Member Rookie Poster

I'm going to have a look at that Stavros it won't be a comfortable watch I'm sure.
    When I can I'm going to re-watch The Wire.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Apple+ "Invasion"...

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

After the Flood (ITV, 2024)

A body found in a lift after a flood in town was in fact a murder victim. Another dismal tv show that has some good acting, but is desperate to be clever and interesting. Are we not done with murder and corruption? Is there no other basis on which to make a compelling drama?

Reacher
    Monarch: Legacy of Monsters