Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: TV Shows...What are you following?

'Gommorah' on HBO is simply fantastic. Its about to Mafia in Naples Italy. Reminds me of 'The Wire' and 'The Sopranos', but the mobsters are much more vicious. The New York Times gives it fantastic reviews. Its dubbed into English well.

Look Marge, I'm reading The Economist, did you know Indonesia is at a crossroads?

Senior Member Veteran Poster BlüeKarma's Avatar

Resident Alien, one of the best shows on TV right now imo.
    The Watch, not the best version of the Terry Pratchett's characters, but good enough for me.
    The Blacklist, this one is winding down but I'm still on the edge of my seat every time.
    Wayne, kind of quirky and funny in a dark way, maybe tries too hard to be edgy idk.
    Angel, it's funny that I have watched all of Buffy but never seen Angel.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster Caprizio2049's Avatar

Sanford & Son
    YOU BIG DUMMY
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0EA14BD5-3FA0-4407-96E0-C3AE132175DA.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	1300178  

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Caprizio2049 View Post
    Sanford & Son
    YOU BIG DUMMY

I had not heard of this programme, and when I googled it I discovered it to be an American version of the London-based comedy Steptoe & Son, but I can't for the life of me imagine how this transferred to the US. S&S was a big hit in the UK in the 1960s -and I am old enough to remember when a 'Rag and Bone' man with a horse and cart did his rounds where I grew up- so these people were very real at the time. But it was a very strange programme - a comedy about two men living together, one of whom is crotchety and crude, the other convinced he can do better and is, or should be, a magnet to women. Men with unfulfilled sexual and romantic lives are fairly common in English comedy, even when there is no hint of bi-or homosexuality, just a profound inadequacy which merges with their daily lives, and as I write this, I now realize the Irish comedy, Father Ted, has similar themes, with the added kick it being about Catholic priests in rural Ireland. But is Sanford and Sons also vulgar, as was Steptoe & Son?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Sanford and Son was definitely wholesome Family Television . With a black family.1972-1977
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_and_Son

Veteran Poster

Def one of the best musical only TV theme songs - Fred, Lamont, Grady & Aunt Esther were great on that show

Senior Member Platinum Poster

A new series of documenaries by Adam Curtis -Can't Get You Out of My Head- is now showing on the BBC iPlayer. I have not seen it, but last night watched the four-part series, The Mayfair Set, first shown on the BBC in 1999, and now on YouTube. It tells the story of the founder of the SAS, David Stirling, and the men he associated with at the Clermont Club in Mayfair -the asset strippers Jim Slater, James Goldsmith and 'Tiny' Rowland. It shows how these men broke into the ossified corporations and the safe but moribund City of London Stock Exchange to make share-owning appealing to individuals. They did it by identifyng corporations or companies that had failed to modernize, were over-staffed and under-performing. They bought shares, took control of the company, then stripped it of its worst assets, or more commonly, the expensive component known as wages, then reaped the profits as the share price soared. In the end, it was share dealing that became 'market activity' but was not in concrete terms, a business that created jobs, indeed, the only new business that was formed was the brokerage firms that were only concerned with shares- at the same time as this was happening, for example, Shell and BP created a new petroleum business in the North Sea that not only returned handsome profits to its shareholders, but created jobs and new assets, and just as Slater, Goldsmith and Rowland took their pirate business into the US and Africa, so in time, the Pension Funds they manipulated took back control of their assets and in time, Slater went bankrupt, and Goldsmith a little bit mad. It was an episode of some importance in the context of Reagan and Thatcher as Curtis argues it marked the moment when Governments lost control of theire economies. But as the section on Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky shows, it was often illegal too so that in time, the 'Corporate' giants took back control of the market. Four fascinating films -the first film on Stirling is weakest, and fails to take the story of the first war in the Yemen beyond 1965 when it can be argued the gains Saudi Arabia made were lost. It also fails to put neo-Liberalism and market economics into a broader context by referring back to people such as Hayek and von Mises and the Mont Pelerin Society. It never mentions the UK entering the Common Market/EEC, and places more emphasis on the Thatcher Government lifting Exchange Controls rather than mentioning the Big Bang as an additional factor in the creation of more liberal global markets.

But a compelling set of films of its time, with a comical entry at the end by Mohammed Fayed, and earlier, a reminder with regard to Milken, Drexel Burnham and Ivan Boesky, that Rudolph Giuliani Jr used to be a crusading lawyer.

The first film is here, the next three in the YouTube sidebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayfair_Set
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...out-of-my-head

I just finished watching the last episode of Your Honor.

What a load of crap.

Gomorrah looks good,but I hate the bother of the English subtitles'

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    A new series of documenaries by Adam Curtis -Can't Get You Out of My Head- is now showing on the BBC iPlayer. I have not seen it, but last night watched the four-part series, The Mayfair Set, first shown on the BBC in 1999, and now on YouTube. It tells the story of the founder of the SAS, David Stirling, and the men he associated with at the Clermont Club in Mayfair -the asset strippers Jim Slater, James Goldsmith and 'Tiny' Rowland. It shows how these men broke into the ossified corporations and the safe but moribund City of London Stock Exchange to make share-owning appealing to individuals. They did it by identifyng corporations or companies that had failed to modernize, were over-staffed and under-performing. They bought shares, took control of the company, then stripped it of its worst assets, or more commonly, the expensive component known as wages, then reaped the profits as the share price soared. In the end, it was share dealing that became 'market activity' but was not in concrete terms, a business that created jobs, indeed, the only new business that was formed was the brokerage firms that were only concerned with shares- at the same time as this was happening, for example, Shell and BP created a new petroleum business in the North Sea that not only returned handsome profits to its shareholders, but created jobs and new assets, and just as Slater, Goldsmith and Rowland took their pirate business into the US and Africa, so in time, the Pension Funds they manipulated took back control of their assets and in time, Slater went bankrupt, and Goldsmith a little bit mad. It was an episode of some importance in the context of Reagan and Thatcher as Curtis argues it marked the moment when Governments lost control of theire economies. But as the section on Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky shows, it was often illegal too so that in time, the 'Corporate' giants took back control of the market. Four fascinating films -the first film on Stirling is weakest, and fails to take the story of the first war in the Yemen beyond 1965 when it can be argued the gains Saudi Arabia made were lost. It also fails to put neo-Liberalism and market economics into a broader context by referring back to people such as Hayek and von Mises and the Mont Pelerin Society. It never mentions the UK entering the Common Market/EEC, and places more emphasis on the Thatcher Government lifting Exchange Controls rather than mentioning the Big Bang as an additional factor in the creation of more liberal global markets.

But a compelling set of films of its time, with a comical entry at the end by Mohammed Fayed, and earlier, a reminder with regard to Milken, Drexel Burnham and Ivan Boesky, that Rudolph Giuliani Jr used to be a crusading lawyer.

The first film is here, the next three in the YouTube sidebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayfair_Set
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...out-of-my-head

Looks interesting. I came to know a group of retired and active SAS expats beginning in 1999 that hung out at the Nana Hotel in Bangkok. They had many tails to tell about David Stirling.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stirling