Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: TV Shows...What are you following?

I persevered and finished Season 5 in the early hours of the morning. Binge tv has its drawbacks!
    For me the replacement of Mexican Cartels with local 'white boys' as the main distributors of crystal meth does not ring true. Though I assume the Cartels don't run all of the trade north of the border, Fring's elimination of one rival and his own demise would surely leave that part of the US wide open to another Cartel? The capo di capo did not seem to notice the seal on that exclusive bottle of Tequila was broken before he poured it.
    I am still not sure why Andrea was shot, but also don't know why WW decided Brock was worthy of 'an experiment'.
    What stands out is the Resentment, and how the mistake WW made when he opted out of Grey Matter has gnawed away at him, notably his deeply embittered attack on his own wife. For a man who has so little sex and, it seems, no interest in other women -and the kind of women his money can buy would be on a different level, physically to Skyler, a weak character in the drama (I usually fast forwarded her scenes)- the absence of sex in this series is quite strange. And while I appreciate 'the journey' that Pinkman makes, he brings it on himself, in the end I didn't care, and the last shot of him in the car echoes the end of David Lynch's Lost Highway, just as there is a visual connection between the last shot of WW and the 'death' of Jon Snow in Game of Thrones.

I watched The Wire over Christmas and New Year some years ago, and repeated it the following Christmas and New Year. I have seen seasons The Americans more than once, ditto Game of Thrones. I will not watch any episode of Breaking Bad again, it is not worth the effort to do so.

Back to work on a stack of DVDs...

Quote Originally Posted by todd222 View Post
    Spent the summer watching the whole set of Marvel series on Netflix. Also Goliath on Amazon prime is worth checking out.
    Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons on Goliath but the third season seems ...off the rails. What did you think of it?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons on Goliath but the third season seems ...off the rails. What did you think of it?
    It's funny you mention that. I watched the first two seasons. I liked the first season and thought the second season was off the rails. Not sure if I'm going to watch season 3.

Member Rookie Poster Beast-Mode's Avatar

Most TV shows are crap. They start off good and steadily get worse over time. So rare to see a show that starts good and stays good until the end. Having said that I'm currently checking out Goliath and Bosch. The first seasons have been excellent. We'll see if the quality holds up.

I would like to call out all the women out there for not supporting Agent Carter. A really good show that had 2 strong seasons. But not enough people tuned in so it got axed. Come on ladies, you're screaming for more strong female leads and here you had one with some good quality writing and you're nowhere to be found. Shame on you!

Last edited by Beast-Mode; 10-10-2019 at 01:22 AM.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Vikings.
    The Last Kingdom

Currently watching:
    Batwoman
    The Flash
    Arrow
    Legends of Tomorrow
    DC's Titans
    DC's Doom Patrol
    The Ranch
    American Horror Story 1984
    Creepshow
    Big Mouth

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    It's funny you mention that. I watched the first two seasons. I liked the first season and thought the second season was off the rails. Not sure if I'm going to watch season 3.
    Started watching the third season. When I heard "I Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In" playing in the background, I thought it was a reference to The Big Lebowski. Besides the music there was something psychedelic about the scene. In later episodes I thought I caught references to various psychedelic scenes from David Lynch's Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I didn't think it was going off the rails but I did think that these episodes weren't anything like what I saw in the previous two seasons. Now that I'm a lot further into the season I think I there's going to be a 'reasonable' explanation for these somewhat bizarre scenes.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Started watching the third season. When I heard "I Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In" playing in the background, I thought it was a reference to The Big Lebowski. Besides the music there was something psychedelic about the scene. In later episodes I thought I caught references to various psychedelic scenes from David Lynch's Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I didn't think it was going off the rails but I did think that these episodes weren't anything like what I saw in the previous two seasons. Now that I'm a lot further into the season I think I there's going to be a 'reasonable' explanation for these somewhat bizarre scenes.
    Maybe I had an uncomfortable reaction to all of the dismemberment in the second season. I still watched it with interest but came away feeling uneasy about it. Will look at the third season at some point but still haven't yet.

I've watched two episodes of the show Succession, which a lot of people have recommended to me. It's a show about a super rich media family similar to the Murdochs. The show begins with the patriarch of the family suffering a stroke and the family members fighting over control of his empire. It's supposed to depict a second generation of privileged children who are kind of lost, morally repulsive as well as irresponsible, incompetent, and entitled. You see shades of the Trump family in there as well. It makes for good satire though it's hard to enjoy a series where you don't like any of the characters that much. Yet I'm enjoying it.

I've also watched the first two seasons of the show Mindhunter, which is about the origin of FBI criminal profiling. It's kept me engaged but only that. The subject matter is interesting, but the characters are a bit predictable...

Last edited by broncofan; 10-22-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Gold Poster

Forgot to mention I binge watched season 7 of Veep. I thought it was the best season though over the top. It was very funny...

Senior Member Platinum Poster

DEVS (created by Alex Garland, on the BBC iPlayer in the UK)

Assuming nothing can be as bad as Ex Machina, I began watching this, and quite by accident tuned in to the last episode, which ought to be hilarious given some of the 'drama's' ideas. I realized what had happened and scrolled down to see the previous episodes and thus reverted to the 'beginning of time'.
    If you are interested in industrial espionage, free will-vs- determinism and the idea that in the future we may die physically but have the option -or it may be determined- to be uploaded into a computer for a simulated and eternal life, this relentlessly dreary if visually fascinating flop may engage your attention. A pity it did not engage the interest of the actors notably the two leads, not so much Adam and Eve as Eve and Dave, both of whom render their lines with such complete indifference one can only assume they had seen the future, and concluded- why make the effort?
    Your choice. 3/10 for effort; 1/10 for its pseudo-scientific premise.