Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hit & Miss

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Default Re: Hit & Miss

Just saw Hit & Miss.

This is a very good series. The portrayal of a MTF transsexual is a good one, specifically a very human one. One of the big obstacles to broader acceptance of transsexuals in society is getting over the perception of them as "other" by men and women. Portrayals like the one in this television series helps. It's too bad the series wasn't picked up for a 2nd season.

I understand the sentiment of wanting a TS in a TS role, but until there is a TS actor who has the acting chops to carry a big movie or a television series, then casting the best available TS for such a role is not necessarily going to be a plus, or might even be a hindrance to the overall objective of positive transgender PR (for the lack of a better term). The most broadly watched and critically acclaimed movie about a gay relationship, Brokeback Mountain, was played by 2 hetero actors. I contend that Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger made that movie a huge success in a way that lesser actors, would not have achieved. And the positive portrayal of gay men in the movie was a step in the right direction in regards to acceptance of homosexuality in society.

Don't get me wrong, I think amazing transsexual actors will emerge. Unfortunately we're not there, yet. Once we do get there, however, the public will already have seen many good portrayals of transsexuals by actors like Chloe Sevigny. Presumably, the public will one day be ready to cheer on a TS protagonist played by a real live TS.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I just finished it on Netflix too...it's certainly an interesting plot...and of course, I really like how that whole dysfunctional family is slowly extending and becoming a unit that cares for one another.

Hope someone picks it up again anyway...also at this point I would prefer to have Chloe Sevigny continue as the lead character Mia. I now identify her with that particular character and she's gotten some great reviews for her portrayal.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Curious about this show now.