Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Drag Queen in Blackface

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Gray View Post
    Is it any less racist if it's yellow?
    Oh! come on, guys: it doesn't have anything to do with such a thing as the minstrel shows, obviously intended to be reminded, here. The minstrel shows were design to be racist. Adding outrage to insult -that's the least you can say-, it was made to mock a group that was socially left with nothing, treated practically as ordure, worst than animals, kept largely out of education and then laugh on! To wear a makeup that reminded such disgusting practices was sufficently offensive...

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Artistic Freedom is shaping the lies to tell the truth.
    Here's Eva Braun, in the dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0-life2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	595444  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    Oh! come on, guys: it doesn't have anything to do with such a thing as the minstrel shows, obviously intended to be reminded, here. The minstrel shows were design to be racist. Adding outrage to insult -that's the least you can say-, it was made to mock a group that was socially left with nothing, treated practically as ordure, worst than animals, kept largely out of education and then laugh on! To wear a makeup that reminded such disgusting practices was sufficently offensive...
    I agree with your point Dan but I still believe some things have to be taken within the context of what/how/where/why. Dogmatism is harmful whether for 'right' or 'wrong' ideology.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    I agree with your point Dan but I still believe some things have to be taken within the context of what/how/where/why. Dogmatism is harmful whether for 'right' or 'wrong' ideology.
    My friend, there's always a context to be considered, or in such a case, to be invoked. But this is like using the theme of the Holocaust for a funny drag show, or that of the machette choped up bodies of Tutsies in Rwanda, or the long walk to death of Armenians! African Americans, just out of slavery, still being constantly the object of violence and lynching, totally left out of social institutions, education, living in abject, obscene conditions of poverty, had these shows, the minstrel shows, designed to, ON TOP OF THIS, SPECIFICALLY MOCK THEM!!!! Runningdownthatdream, there's no ifs or buts here... And no, my friend, it's not a narrow-minded politically correctness on my part nor is it dogmatism!!