Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2013

Default Wimbledon 2013

Women's singles: can't see past Serena unless she blows up. In terms of power, focus, consistency and quality she's playing the best women's tennis I've ever seen. Not as good to watch as Navratilova or Graf at their peaks, but playing the game at a level beyond the capability of the rest.

Men's singles: It's anyone's. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are all capable of doing it. Rafa is clearly a man on a mission, desperate to win again before his knees finally pack in, Roger is, well, Roger, the best male tennis player of them all, and still capable at 31 of lifting the game through sheer artistry. I'd change sex and have his babies if I could have his topspin backhand...

Then Novak and Andy, great friends, great rivals. Murray's rest over the French might work in his favour, Djokovic still smarting from his ultimately tame surrender in what was still a terrific final in the French.

Of course I'd like Murray to do it, but I'm not going to jinx him.

Anyway, it's my favourite two weeks of sport in the year. Hope it's great.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Wimbledon 2013

Murray for me.... and I see no-one getting the better of Serena now.
    For a glimpse of her off court there is a Thai restaurant in Wimbledon where she and sis Venus often eat during the fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Murray for me.... and I see no-one getting the better of Serena now.
    For a glimpse of her off court there is a Thai restaurant in Wimbledon where she and sis Venus often eat during the fortnight.
    I've seen recent pics of Serena with her hair straightened and she looks pretty damn foxy. And Venus has a stunning body.

And for all the twat critics of her, would you honestly prefer to see two grunting, screaming, identikit blondes in a dull war of attrition (of course you would, this is Hung Angels after all! ) or see a supreme talent at the very top of her game outplaying and outsmarting everyone else? Serena for me too.

As for the men, I still think it's up for grabs. Just heard the draw which means that, all being well, Murray will face Tsonga rather than Nadal at the quarter final stage, while Nadal and Federer would have to play each other.

Meanwhile everyone, myself included, ignores the doubles, which in terms of tactics and variety tend to be infinitely more entertaining than the singles. At least the BBC's new coverage approach means that you'll be able to see plenty of doubles too. Again, here's to a great fortnight.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Serena grunts pretty well too. Don't recall the girls doing this at all until about six or seven years ago... And why don't men do it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Serena grunts pretty well too. Don't recall the girls doing this at all until about six or seven years ago... And why don't men do it too?
    But not on every bloody shot.

And I've played tennis virtually all my life and have never heard a woman grunt or scream.

Except one memorable evening in the car park of my local club up in Scotland....

Day One over, pretty routine, but.....out goes Nadal - again, and one round earlier than last year.

Easy to apply the wisdom of hindsight, but it seemed reasonable to anticipate a good run for him after his amazing form since returning from long-term injury in February.

However, he's played next to no tennis on grass, and it's so different to European clay - faster and more strenuous on all the leg muscles. It's sad, but we should be contemplating tennis life after Rafa.

Federer and Murray both through in easy straight set wins, best match of the day was Lleyton Hewitt's straight set win over Stanislav Wawrinka.

And no rain. So far.....

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The key point in the men's game is that the 'Big Four' dominate because most of the time nobody else can beat them except each other, viz David Ferrer in Paris. Federer retains his aura, but these days the litmus test is not can anyone beat Federer, but can Federer beat Murray or Djokovic -? It is possible, the weather might play a bigger role this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The key point in the men's game is that the 'Big Four' dominate because most of the time nobody else can beat them except each other, viz David Ferrer in Paris. Federer retains his aura, but these days the litmus test is not can anyone beat Federer, but can Federer beat Murray or Djokovic -? It is possible, the weather might play a bigger role this year.

In which case it's good for Murray. As a Scot he knows more about rain that all the others. A puckle dreich days and he'll be fine.

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

With Nadal gone I like Federer.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

An astonishing day at Wimbledon -seven plays withdraw owing to injury and Federer loses to a Russian nobody has ever heard of. The noise made by Sharapova as she went to defeat was surely unacceptable, I know the girls squeal a lot but the two of them went beyond anything remotely normal and even sounded to me like one was making the other scream even louder. Federer has dropped sets before but this time his ability to ride it out and impose himself on the game failed, and I think he lost it psychologically as much as with the opponent coming to the net more often than he is used to.
    Djokovic and Murray must now be certain to be in the final -barring any more major upsets...