Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Peanuts returns!

On my last visit to LA (can't believe it was 10 years ago but it was) I decided to go to Peanuts, paid a small fortune to get from the place where I was working (in the forlorn eastern marches) only to discover I had got the wrong night and it was something called LA Men, which was of no interest. Paid $75 to stay in a motel run by an ageing queer Englishman off Santa Monica Blvd; the only positive memory was of a Thai restaurant across the road from Peanuts (and a bit further down) which was outstanding and good value too. The tv zapper in the motel was nailed down to the bedside table, and if you brought anyone into the room it was an extra $100. I paid a Mexican taxi driver $125 for a return journey only he never showed on the Sunday and when I called him (his name, incredibly, was Jesus) he said 'I give you good price' and when I told him I had paid for a return journey he said, again, 'I give you good price' -end of conversation. In any case there was a huge HIV/AIDS awareness march which meant there were no vehicles on Santa Monica Blvd for like 100 blocks starting at the posh end. I ended up walking up on to Sunset, and getting a taxi from some hotel which cost another small fortune. LA has its attractions but to outsiders who don't know the ins and outs, it can be very trying at times, so when Willie states: Santa Monica Blvd and N. Western Ave. smack dab in the middle of...well, LA folks know, I shudder to think what it means.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

^ It just means that it's right in the middle of Latin Hollywood and it's a far sketchier hood than WeHo.

Um....I remember the internet being around ten years ago. Do you? L.A. is not as inaccessible and hard to navigate as people make it out to be. It's actually really easy given five minutes of research.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Problem is I don't drive and even if I did I am not sure I would feel comfortable driving around LA; there is some sort of bus service but the week I was there the workers were on strike so there weren't any on the road. Remember also that what for an American is a normal trip of 50-100 miles is a major event here. I am five minutes away from the centre of town where I live, LA is to me like 30 cities stuck together. Which is why I prefer San Francisco. And anyway what is 'a far sketchier hood'?? Do they have a lot of dry cleaning outlets there?

East Hollywood has always been a bit gritty. Back in the 70s, 80s, & 90s it was quite impoverished and that area of the city had a high crime rate. There was a lot of prostitution, pimps, drugs, filth, etc. There are efforts now toward gentrification, and there has been some progress. I live in East Hollywood and rather enjoy it. There is a huge mix of different cultures, Thai, Latin, Black, White, Hipsters, Armenians, Koreans, and just about any other culture one can think of. I like the diversity. There are many Thai restaurants within walking distance, a Metro subway, and Griffith Park. However, many people are still afraid of the area and it is misunderstood. I've gone to Club Tempo many times ( I used to live in Mexico and speak Spanish, so I feel comfortable in the neighborhood), but many of my friends are frightened for me when I tell them that I go to the bars or restaurants in that area of E. Hollywood. They are the same people who were frightened for me when I went to Mexico for a year to study Spanish. It is the usual fear of the unknown that seems to be natural for us humans. Crime still exists in E. Hollywood, but it isn't as bad as it was decades ago. Come to Club Tempo. You'll have fun.

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

No, The Blacklite isn't returning.

Seriously, I hope the place does well. Palms was just too far (and too expensive) for most folks. Hopefully Peanuts 3.0 will be a better value.

B-Dub, you'd BETTER keep that fresh talent rolling in and out!

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Yes, the Blacklite is long gone unfortunately. Talk about gritty, but fun. The old Blacklite is now a hipster Cuban speakeasy which requires reservations to enter. I haven't been yet. I happened to be walking by one night when they first opened. I tried to enter, but the doorman wouldn't let me in since I didn't have a reservation. I was put off by that and have never tried to go again, although I should check it out. It sounds interesting. I've read that you enter a closet type space which has a secret door that opens up to a cool Cuban interior. I often see pretty young ladies out front smoking cigarettes in their skimpy attire when I drive by. But they aren't Tgirls like the Blacklite days....

Wow...I'm def. going.

Bella Doll Platinum Poster BellaBellucci's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by youngblood61 View Post
    You have your doubt's Bella?
    Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see it succeed. But the name Peanuts has so many negative connotations to LE because of its infamous prostitution. Word on the street is that the sheriffs recently raided The Palms (which is only a few miles away, although in a different jurisdiction), thereby scaring everyone away and forcing the bar to close. That's not exactly the best precedent for an endeavor like this.

I do wish them all the luck in the world. I suspect they'll need it, though.

~BB~

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBellucci View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see it succeed. But the name Peanuts has so many negative connotations to LE because of its infamous prostitution. Word on the street is that the sheriffs recently raided The Palms (which is only a few miles away, although in a different jurisdiction), thereby scaring everyone away and forcing the bar to close. That's not exactly the best precedent for an endeavor like this.

I do wish them all the luck in the world. I suspect they'll need it, though.

~BB~
    They told me that the Palms closed b/c they're tearing everything down on that block to build condos. Palms wasnt a tgirl club but was a gay club with two tgirl nights. So if the tgirl nights were a problem wouldn't the venue just discontinue them instead of closing up shop completely?
    I think peanuts will be fun and the location is more than ideal based on what ive seen in L.A. Things could get interesting here way more than at the palms which was in a basically all white entertainment district and had to prety much keep the lid on things and not allow the events to get too crazy. Now peanuts will be down the street from a notorious tgirl stroll. I'm not a payer but if I were then parking blocks away to go to peanuts would be in my best interest when looking to enjoy myself for the eve.

Beware of that murderer/thief who stalks Santa Monica blvd nightly though.

Asswhipper Veteran Poster VictoriaVeil's Avatar

I remember this place... hope it can succeed!