Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Great discussion - keep it coming.

Junior Poster

I think that the concept of the middle east as a demilitarized zone ruled by UN peacekeepers wouldn't be wrong. All the countries in the region would be guaranteed their existance, no weapon around etc.. All that in order to save the world. Cause, what would this world look like without me & Vicki in it, right ?

5 Star Poster

I find it really interesting that the hard line liberals don't comment on this topic. It is a catch 22... You can't hate war but ignore crazy people with WMD's. The world isn't bumblebees and butterflies.

It's like holding a 44 caliber and letting someone walk in with a knife and hack your family into little bits. Even a pacifist would have a hard time in that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by McManaman
    I think that the concept of the middle east as a demilitarized zone ruled by UN peacekeepers wouldn't be wrong. All the countries in the region would be guaranteed their existance, no weapon around etc.. All that in order to save the world. Cause, what would this world look like without me & Vicki in it, right ?
    As a source of international law, the UN is great. As a conduit for humanitarian relief, the UN is quite successful. As a guarantor of security, the UN is an unmitigated disaster replete with failure. If such an arrangement (a demilitarized zone) were made, a security guarantee would have to be provided via some other more viable means.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

5 Star Poster

To make them a demiliterized zone, would we bomb them into submission? I doubt they would go peacefully.

Junior Poster

Yes, absolutely right. If we just remember Bosnia and it's Srebrenica: That city was declared as an UN zone, and was even ruled by UN troops, but despite that, the christian extremists comitted a genocide there against muslim civilians. More efficient UN on the military field is quite an necessity.

The Mideast is a tinderkeg, but did the Iranians really say they wanted to be the match? The phrase "wipe Israel of the face of the map was very widely reported. But that expression is not really idiomatic to Farsi. The actual Farsi phrase from the speech is correctly translated as:

The Imam said that this regime occupying Jerusalem (een rezhim-e ishghalgar-e qods) must [vanish from] from the page of time (bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad).

MEMRI which is an online translation service like those on google translates the phrase similarly:

[T]his regime that is occupying Qods [Jerusalem] must be eliminated from the pages of history

On 20 February 2006, Iran’s foreign minister denied that Tehran wanted to see Israel “wiped off the map,” saying Ahmadinejad had been misunderstood. "Nobody can remove a country from the map. This is a misunderstanding in Europe of what our president mentioned," Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference, speaking in English, after addressing the European Parliament. "How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognise legally this regime.

They were talking about regime change, not nuclear devastation. I'm pretty sure regime change is something the US can relate too. We can also relate to the first strike usage of nuclear weapons on civilian targets, as the only nation to ever really go nuclear.

I'm not saying Iran should have that capacity, just questioning the premise for why people are saying they shouldn't.

FK

Junior Poster

Oh, no, crap! Here comes the final sollution: a huge parking place called "The Middle East".

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by McManaman
    Yes, absolutely right. If we just remember Bosnia and it's Srebrenica: That city was declared as an UN zone, and was even ruled by UN troops, but despite that, the christian extremists comitted a genocide there against muslim civilians. More efficient UN on the military field is quite an necessity.
    And by the way: Why isn't this also declared as an act of terrorism? Is the word of terrorist somethings that only belongs to muslim world? I dunno, you thell me..

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Good grief, someones being a chatty cathy today. Being aligned with the Liberal side of things I, myself, have every intention of commenting on this thread, but not until after work today (I haven't even read all this yet).

I also think a certain girl should stick something hard up her tight little butt hole and take a breather for awhile. Or not, if she's having fun.

:P