Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cheerios Ad

Professional Poster

Default Re: Cheerios Ad

Quote Originally Posted by danthepoetman View Post
    Why would this even be a question if you weren’t narrow minded in the first place? That’s the question. If you didn’t think in the first place: “interracial couple? there’s something suspicious there! they want to convince me of something”, why would you even make anything of the skin pigment of the people in the ad? You really don’t even see your own attitude about this? Why would you suspect Cherios to “have an agenda beyond selling” cereals just because the actors don’t have the skin pigment you think they should have? You’re implying that “unless interracial families have a propensity to buy more cereal than anyone else”, they should not have put an “interracial” couple in the ad. Why? Why would their skin pigment make any difference?

Now, I'm sorry but there’s no justification to think like that, man! None. Your own reaction to this is not much better than that of those who are making these shitty comments on Youtube. An attitude such as yours is precisely what creates the situation in wish such people feel justified to make these comments. How can you not see that?
    No no and NO! I never even noticed the commercial, but I'm old enough to know nobody, especially corporations, does things on a whim. If you think there wasn't a meeting where someone pitched this idea, you're a bit naive. The question is why??? That's the guys point about being spoon fed ideals. It's a cereal ad, but they are trying to suggests things that have nothing to do with cereal. I can see taking offense to that. It would be no different if they had gun toting republicans with carefully placed NRA stickers everywhere. I would ask why? Sorry that you just accept everything at face value and sorry that you can't understand that everybody is not like you.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "I don't see it that way. I see it as a complete and total betrayal of my testicles!"

Just peeped the commercial, on the real it's the cutest shit ever. Cheerios did it right. Unlike McDonalds and other companies insensitive fucking commercials. Any Black/White/etc.. person that has an issue with this commercial is either an asshole or a racist (or both which means the person prob works for FoxNews).

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

I would have appreciated more if it wasn't for Cheerio's but for those chocolate rice krispies which they advertise "turns the milk brown".
    THAT would have been more my style of marketing.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

till we fucking overdose Gold Poster amberskyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sucka4chix View Post
    Once again people here need to get out of attack mode and try to THINK about other peoples points of view!! The "shoved down my throat" guy picked a poor choice of words, but I get the sentiment. I don't have problem with interracial couples-- hell i ALWAYS date outside my race, BUT you have to wonder what the ACTUAL purpose of the ad was. It really does seem they had an agenda beyond selling Cheerios. There was no mistake or accident in casting---they chose to portray an interracial relationship for a reason and it's hard to believe that reason was to sell cereal... unless interracial families have a propensity to buy more cereal than anyone else. As a thinker, I wonder why they did it.
    I also think the negative reaction is a non-story, like 95% of the stuff reported these days. Yes there were negative comments, but there always is on YouTube. People do it for shits and giggles. I don't think the PERCENTAGE of people saying negative things compared to those who were supportive is out of whack and is fairly representative of society. I think there's an entire generation of "new hippies" that live in a fantasy world of rainbows and cotton candy, but the truth is you can't please everybody and that should be ok.
    Did it occur to you that maybe Cheerios wanted to represent the diversity of couples in America now.we live in a world where straight Christian caucasian families aren't the norm anymore

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amberskyi View Post
    Did it occur to you that maybe Cheerios wanted to represent the diversity of couples in America now.we live in a world where straight Christian caucasian families aren't the norm anymore
    We actually see quite a lot of mixed race couples in UK advertising and I never think it's anything more than trying to either represent diversity or appealing to as many as they can.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by amberskyi View Post
    How is that shoving it down your throat?!?! There was no emphasis on race in the commercial AT ALL.
    every time i see white people on tv should i start screaming aryan propaganda smdh.
    So do only white traditional couples and black traditional couples have a right to be shown on TV.get the fuck out of here

People need to grow up and get out of the past! We are all one race, the HUMAN RACE. That commercial was about Cheerios being good for the heart lol. That is what I saw, a cute girl thinking about her dad's health.

Quote Originally Posted by sucka4chix View Post
    Once again people here need to get out of attack mode and try to THINK about other peoples points of view!! The "shoved down my throat" guy picked a poor choice of words, but I get the sentiment. I don't have problem with interracial couples-- hell i ALWAYS date outside my race, BUT you have to wonder what the ACTUAL purpose of the ad was. It really does seem they had an agenda beyond selling Cheerios. There was no mistake or accident in casting---they chose to portray an interracial relationship for a reason and it's hard to believe that reason was to sell cereal... unless interracial families have a propensity to buy more cereal than anyone else. As a thinker, I wonder why they did it.
    I also think the negative reaction is a non-story, like 95% of the stuff reported these days. Yes there were negative comments, but there always is on YouTube. People do it for shits and giggles. I don't think the PERCENTAGE of people saying negative things compared to those who were supportive is out of whack and is fairly representative of society. I think there's an entire generation of "new hippies" that live in a fantasy world of rainbows and cotton candy, but the truth is you can't please everybody and that should be ok.
    The point of ant ad is to sell more product to everyone. What is wrong with a little marketing to everyone no matter what their family or life situation looks like? I don't get it

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Are interracial couples really that controversial?? I mean, does a commercial featuring a BM/WW as a couple mean someone is shoving an 'agenda' down your throat?? Jeez man.

You would think since the POTUS is a half-frican, people wouldn't get so bent about seeing IR couples on TV.

Goes to show you what I know.

First time I saw the commercial I didn't even realize they were an IR couple because he and his wife weren't even shown in the same room!!

I'll watch out more for that hidden secret lib 'agenda'.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Where is the racism in this advert? I cannot see it. It's jus cute. Love the punchline

Rookie Poster

I had never seen this ad untill it appeared on the net as a controversy. It's a a great scene and very cute. Whomever keeps screaming racism on anything and everything should watch their step. People get numb after a while and then when you really need them they will just be sick and tired of responding, this coming from someone who is 100% for interracial relationships.

Barno Ellwood