Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Valley Girls

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MJ_Black_or_White_by_krkdesigns.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	587219  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

LOL @ this thread! My friends always call me a white girl. I am not trying to sound white, but I simply speak the way I do because of the surroundings I grew up in.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

I would never presume whether someone's speech pattern is authentic or 'Black' enough.
    Seriously, why do Black folk always put this REALity test on other Black folks all the time??

If we aren't talking in dialect and ebonics 24/7, someone is gonna question if you're representing your melanin correctly.

Did the OP ever think these girls didn't want to sound ignorant and uneducated on the phone to potential clients??

Being Black, I know I prefer to deal with a Black TS who knows how to string a subject/verb/predicate together and speak in proper tenses.
    But that's just my comfort level from my own background.

till we fucking overdose Gold Poster amberskyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    I would never presume whether someone's speech pattern is authentic or 'Black' enough.
    Seriously, why do Black folk always put this REALity test on other Black folks all the time??

If we aren't talking in dialect and ebonics 24/7, someone is gonna question if you're representing your melanin correctly.

Did the OP ever think these girls didn't want to sound ignorant and uneducated on the phone to potential clients??

Being Black, I know I prefer to deal with a Black TS who knows how to string a subject/verb/predicate together and speak in proper tenses.
    But that's just my comfort level from my own background.
    And let the church say amen!!!

Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    but a valley girl accent is considered stupid isn't it? i mean, it's the voice of a girl who is typically considered materialistic and aloft. would seem like a strange accent to take up if you don't want to sound ignorant and uneducated.

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    but a valley girl accent is considered stupid isn't it? i mean, it's the voice of a girl who is typically considered materialistic and aloft. would seem like a strange accent to take up if you don't want to sound ignorant and uneducated.
    It's exactly as you say, materialistic and aloof. From a privileged background, but without the expectation of intellectual depth that would require a more extensive vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by mmolotov75 View Post
    It's exactly as you say, materialistic and aloof. From a privileged background, but without the expectation of intellectual depth that would require a more extensive vocabulary.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Yeah this is quite strange. I thought they would have realized by the time I made my second post which stated that I myself am black and have experienced the same thing by speaking really proper.
    I'm puzzled by them thinking that by "valley girl" I'm attacking speaking with proper english. I'm speaking about a particular speech style and pattern rather that saying someone should sound ghetto to be authentic (wtf???).. A speech pattern that has always been portrayed as "aloof, dingy, dim witted etc...". I'm not sure when this became the model of the way "black people sound when they're educated" as these posters seem to suggest.
    I'm lost, but I think this is an example of as black people we are overly sensitive to things at times. Particularly Amberskyi in this situation. I've already explained that I wasn't attacking black people that speak proper english BECAUSE I'M ONE OF THEM. So explain to me why are YOU continuing this when someone posts something about the OP that obviously didn't take the time to read through the entire thread and doesn't know all that I've written as you do?

Last edited by dafame; 06-04-2013 at 03:47 AM.
    "Give them nothing, but take from them, everything".. Spartan King Leonidas

http://www.redroom.com/video/tim-wis...whiteness-clip

Member Rookie Poster

It's all about context.

"Ebonics" or so called Black speech is just as much of a put on "learned" speech pattern as "Valley girl" or "Jersey Shore" speech is.

till we fucking overdose Gold Poster amberskyi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmolotov75 View Post
    It's all about context.
    Exactly!