Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Senior Member Junior Poster moonunit7's Avatar

Default Re: Who is your Favorite classic band?

I like the bands with lots of colors.

Pink Floyd
    Deep Purple
    Black Sabbath
    Blue Oyster Cult

Has to be
    #1 Led Zeppelin
    #2 The Rolling Stones
    #3 ... The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Miles Davis's band c1968-1975

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I know it doesn't call for live bands, but as I have said before, I would have thought a judgement of bands must relate to their live work as well as their recording work for them to be judged overall, and isn't that how most people make judgements? 'Great album, crap live'; great on stage but albums disappoint', etc. I chose Mayall because his live bands at the time were amongst the best live performers, some of his albums remain great, some not, which is why he is not for most people in the top 100 and anyway most people on this board weren't born when his bands were playing. But if we can agree that the optimum value is ascribed to bands for both studio and live work, I cannot validate The Beatles. You need to explain why you dismiss live work and privilege studio work.
    So, start your own thread with your own rules....see how that works. Stop being a *****

Senior Member Junior Poster

Can't believe no one's mentioned these guys yet:

That's from 1978, so it qualifies, although Kraftwerk isn't what most people think about when they think about "Rock". It doesn't involve electric guitars but where else would you put it?

Kraftwerk pretty much singlehandedly invented synthpop, and I think it's a given that the music of the 1980s wouldn't have happened in the way that it did without them. The way they used synthesizers influenced everything from rock to pop to funk to hip-hop and disco and their influence is still being felt today. (Coldplay borrowed the hook from 'Computer Love' for 'Talk', with Kraftwerk's permission.)

Senior Member Junior Poster tranlove's Avatar

Can't write off the Beatles as influential as they were. Live bands Boston and Molly Hatchet were two of the best concerts ever been to. I was told that I had a blast in 83 at Peter Framptom's but if I don't remember I guess it don't count. Triumph drummer used put a super show. and anothet great AC/DC I had the privilege to hear Bon Scott in 78 or 79 I was in six grade, we sneeked in a friends dads bar in Brooklyn, they where notorious for jamming in bars like the stones do. It gives me chills remembering the first time I heard highway to hell live in a bar, it must have been more like 79 or 80 I think the record was released in 79. Scott also played a bagpipe for minute that was weird. That day it was also when I got introduced to pot. I also love Brian with AC/DC he is a perfect match totally different to Scott but at the same time perfect match is like 2 different great bands, been lucky to seen the band 4 times with Brian including the last album. But no one tops Queen and Freddie Mercury.