Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Junior Member Rookie Poster

Default Horse Racing - Corruption - The Sheikh

Talking to a stable lad about 6 weeks ago. Widely accepted within the horse racing community Sheikh Mohammed knew about drugs being flown into the UK to administer to his horses. Widely accepted the press are controlled and benefit from not asking certain questions.
    Mahmood Al Zarooni being used as the fall guy and he will be rewarded in time.
    Cover-up's also regarding Dettori being on drugs when he rode the 7 winners in one day at Ascot and other races and his odd behaviour on certain racedays.
    Cover up to clear Bin Suroor's horses quickly and keep the Sheikh squeaky clean.
    Too much money and prestige involved to upset the show. Many , many more big races won by horses owned by Sheikh Mohammed which were drugged.
    Apologists such as BBC's Cornelius Lysaght wheeled out to reassure , also the same with the other guy being used by Talksport etc , some spokesperson for Sportinglife or such.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...ame&issue=1339

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: Horse Racing - Corruption - The Sheikh

I used to bet on a regular basis years ago, mainly because I was working with guys who did and I just fell into it. One of them told me that you might as well back the least likely horse in a selling race, so one day I put £1 on a horse that had like 7 doughnuts as its form and it won @ 20/1 giving me £20 for a hunch. On a different level, the Dante stakes at York last week was won by an outsider at 33/1 when the 'classic favourite' bombed -because the horse didn't get its dose? The rumour always used to be that all but the classics (Guineas, Derby, St Leger, Royal Ascot, et al) were not fixed but that the humdrum 1.30 at Brighton and the 4.35 at Wincanton were I stopped betting on a regular basis and I can't say I missed losing money on a regular basis either!

To me, now, horse racing is like Formula 1, it is a business, not a sport. One is focused on thoroughbreds whose only existence is based on their genes, the other is about kit cars that often can't make it round the circuit without seizing up. Sport?

Junior Member Rookie Poster

2012 St Leger winner Encke , trained by Godolphin operation and owned by Sheikh Mohammed has been found to be drugged. They say Encke was clear after winning the Leger but maybe it was hidden by other means or not traceable because the benefit was in the horses system put in weeks before.

I too have hardly given a penny to them for ages , prefer to spend money elsewhere and enjoy it. Take advantage of free bets now and then but despise the thought of betting regularly and won't do it.
    Drugs have changed history in Athletics , Horse Racing and many more so-called Businesses.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

I know Sheikh Mohammed well and personally doubt that he knew about the drugs. he has an immense respect for the world of racing and horses. I simply don't believe he knew. It is more likely his trainer was trying his utmost to please the Sheikh.

Senior Member Professional Poster

In real life I grew up around racing, not delving to deep into my personal life and please be under no illusion that I am from a wealthy racing family as I am not... My dad tinkers with horses, betting, has trainer friends, was taken to Ascot and Aintree etc as a child often etc...... I find it hard to believe that any trainer/breeder be them the wealthiest and most famed or the little tinker like my father would give their animal anything without reading into it in great detail.

Some of these horses are worth millions no body is taking chances with their millions! I believe that they knew what they were given their horses they just didn't foresee that they would be found out! maybe they believed it would fall under the radar or possible maybe I wrong (Chance are!)

I just whole heartily believe that an owner, trainer, breeder who ever would go to great lengths to discover the products that they give to these horses!

the racing world is largely a rich population, there are no limits to what money can buy, cover ups have been occurring for years in this sport no I am happy to say that I think there will be stricter policies put in place to protect the betters and more importantly the horses!

Anyone know what really happened to Shergar??? lol

Senior Member Professional Poster

Excuse my use of written English today.... It is terrible and clearly proves that I am running low on caffeine!

Quote Originally Posted by LondonLadyboys View Post
    In real life I grew up around racing, not delving to deep into my personal life and please be under no illusion that I am from a wealthy racing family as I am not... My dad tinkers with horses, betting, has trainer friends, was taken to Ascot and Aintree etc as a child often etc...... I find it hard to believe that any trainer/breeder be them the wealthiest and most famed or the little tinker like my father would give their animal anything without reading into it in great detail.

Some of these horses are worth millions no body is taking chances with their millions! I believe that they knew what they were given their horses they just didn't foresee that they would be found out! maybe they believed it would fall under the radar or possible maybe I wrong (Chance are!)

I just whole heartily believe that an owner, trainer, breeder who ever would go to great lengths to discover the products that they give to these horses!

the racing world is largely a rich population, there are no limits to what money can buy, cover ups have been occurring for years in this sport no I am happy to say that I think there will be stricter policies put in place to protect the betters and more importantly the horses!

Anyone know what really happened to Shergar??? lol
    I think in terms of corruption, horse racing is not much different from Boxing, or football in places like Bulgaria -there is no point in banning Boxing or any sport, that would only drive it underground; in the case of the Gulf Sheikhs, the billions they have poured into sport may have salvaged horse racing which has been in decline for some years, but not greyhound racing which has all but died compared to how big it was in the UK in the 20th century. Perhaps their billions have also distorted sport, Manchester City being one example.

The Shergar case has never been definitively explain because the men involved are either dead or refuse to tell. This link, even though it is the Mail, does seem to cover as much as we know, although I think I once heard another version that Shergar died of a heart attack. Basically the gang didn't know how to handle a thoroughbred race horse and as usual it was the horse that suffered.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rac...per-horse.html

Re Sheikh Mohammed.... he has based his philosophy around horses, extending his ideas about horsemanship to the way Government should run.

As in...boots, saddles and whips?

ha ha...no Stavros. It's worth reading his book "My Vision" - not available in Engiish only Arabic i'm afraid - which has whole chapters about horsemanship and government.