Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Boss!

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Default Re: The Boss!

That's the great thing about music. No one ever agrees about what is good or bad or indifferent. We all have our own differing tastes. Interesting that the "Dusche" who was so splenetic about The Boss doesn't say what he thinks IS good. Just asking...

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by my my my! View Post
    While I don't agree with Seanchai's response to Blue, or Blue's first post (Bruce does have SOME talent), I feel Bruce is Overrated and definitely not the "Boss".

C'mon Stephen, really 3 hours and 15 mins of Brilliance?

More like 1 hour of decent/good stuff, and 2 hours and 15 minutes of filler.
    Absolutely not - no filler whatsoever. You don't go to see artists with pedigree like the Stones, The Who, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, ZZ Top, Bruce Springsteen and get filler.

Listen, if people don't like an artist, then that's natural, we all have different tastes but to hijack a thread with;
    "Aweful" (sic)
    "Worst singing voice ever, if shouting even counts as singing."

And then claim the ticket prices were too high (they weren't) to hear "political talking points" (there weren't any) - then that person is just being obtuse on the wrong thread, and can fuck right off.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Now here I beg with differ with Seanchai. I think the Stones have generated a lot of "filler" in the past few years of their recording career - though in concert they do create a definate flow and series of peaks. No fat in the act live.
    ZZ Top on the other hand, IMHO, are 100 per cent filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Now here I beg with differ with Seanchai. I think the Stones have generated a lot of "filler" in the past few years of their recording career - though in concert they do create a definate flow and series of peaks. No fat in the act live.
    ZZ Top on the other hand, IMHO, are 100 per cent filler.

Like I said, when you GO to see The Stones, you don't get filler. Of course there has been misses in some of their albums over the years. ZZTop - great stuff, their latest album was solid.

One singer who, to me, is a quintessetial genius, offers nowt but filler these day in live performances - Bob Dylan. The songbook is beyond criticism, but his live act now blurs one song into another in a gnarly snarl that leaves audiences guessing exactly what he is singing. His voice is just about shot. Makes his recordings interesting, but forget the live act... go home and rest Bob.
    Interestingly another singer who is even older, Leonard Cohen, hasn't ruined his voice.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

One singer who, to me, is a quintessetial genius, offers nowt but filler these day in live performances - Bob Dylan. The songbook is beyond criticism, but his live act now blurs one song into another in a gnarly snarl that leaves audiences guessing exactly what he is singing. His voice is just about shot. Makes his recordings interesting, but forget the live act... go home and rest Bob.
    Interestingly another singer who is even older, Leonard Cohen, hasn't ruined his voice.
    Problem with Bob is that he can't play the instruments any longer as his arthritis is so bad, so that severely limits what songs he's going to play. His newer albums have be solid though. I wouldn't see him live. Leonard Cohen I saw last year and if I could see him again this year, I'd be straight back.

I didn't know about the arthritis. I know he does prefer to play keyboards rather than guitar.

Never seen Cohen but plan to next time (if there IS a next time).

I didn't know about the arthritis. I know he does prefer to play keyboards rather than guitar.

Never seen Cohen but plan to next time (if there IS a next time).
    He doesn't have a choice, he has trouble playing the guitars now.

Happens to us all. I can't play the violin.

Mind you. I never could.

I think Bruce's earlier stuff is lyrically and musically richer than just about everything since Born in the USA. (with a few nuggets here and there). My main gripe is his fucking concerts, not only are they overpriced and in really shitty acoustical environments (stadiums are great for sports not concerts) but the real problem is that they've become god damn hootenannies. I pay money to see a performer perform not to listen to 5000 assholes chant BRRRUUUUUUUUCCCCE and sing along to every Springsteen song he's ever done! My last concert consisted me on one end of the Meadowlands Stadium and Bruce and the E Street Band on the opposite end, Bruce up on the jumbotron and a sea of assholes standing on their seats playing air guitar, air sax, and air drums while playing "sing along with Bruce". I'll stay at home and listen on my audio system instead ... to his first three albums.

Oh, I may be on the side of the angels... but don't think for one second that I am one of them. (Sherlock Holmes)