Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Marvel vs DC

Default Re: Marvel vs DC

I love DC even though they kill my favorite characters.
    Marvel has good stuff but I grew up on the super friends

Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    Remember, Avengers were originally Marvel's imitation of the JLA.
    it was the Fantasic Four that marvel did to compete with the JLA

No Better Friend
    No Worse Enemy

Senior Member Veteran Poster Corran's Avatar

Yup, Stan Lee was playing golf with Julius Schwartz and Julius mentioned that JLA was DC's best selling book at the time. Stan and Jack Kirby came up with the Fantastic Four as a result of that conversation.

Senior Member Junior Poster Chase_Mcthirsty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SP27 View Post

Marvel has some great romps - the first and second Spiderman movies, Ironman and The Avengers are all stellar. Marvel is also a victim of its own success though. For every great one they have there are two shitty ones - The X Men movies (not including X-Men First Class - loved it, despite a piss poor Xavier) Dare Devil, Electra, Wolverine, fantastic four, ghost rider, etc. they were just vomit inducing fare.
    Just to be clear Marvel Studies does not have the rights to the crappy films you just mentioned.

X-men, Fantastic Four, Elektra and Daredevil are or were under FOX's Umbrella. (Daredevil was just recently reverted back to Marvel due to FOX not meeting the deadline to make another film)

Spider-man and Ghost Rider are both under Sony.

And quite Frankly FOX couldn't care less about those franchises...that is until they saw what Studio could do when the take characters seriously. Now they wanna hire Millar to play as Whedon and carry on about a X-men/Fantastic Four MCU. FOH!

For the record Marvel Studios is currently 6 for 6 with their films with Iron man 3 already making close to $200 Million overseas and hasn't even released here in the US yet.

In a perfect world Marvel would have all of their rights back and we'd see these franchises done right from the start.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Chase_Mcthirsty; 04-29-2013 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southern81 View Post
    it was the Fantasic Four that marvel did to compete with the JLA
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yup, Stan Lee was playing golf with Julius Schwartz and Julius mentioned that JLA was DC's best selling book at the time. Stan and Jack Kirby came up with the Fantastic Four as a result of that conversation.
    I didn't say the Avengers were created to compete with the JLA (though of course they were), I said that they were an imitation: the same formula redone with Marvel heroes in place of DC heroes. That Lee and Kirby came up with the FF because JLA was DCs best selling book at the time does not in any way mean that FF is an imitation of JLA. It isn't. FF was a wholly original concept, never before seen in comics. (True, the super family concept has precursors with both Superman/Supergirl and Captain Marvel/Marvel Boy/Marvel Girl, but the FF handled the concept in entirely novel ways, banding together a man, his best friend, his girlfriend, and her brother as a family of adventurers.)

JLA was a gathering of the most powerful and popular heroes of the DC world at the time, and this is what the Avengers imitated: for Superman, they had Thor. For Green Lantern, they had Iron Man. For Martian Manhunter (the original green hero, lol), they had the Hulk. For the Atom, they had Ant-Man. As a concept, the Avengers was derivative of the JLA, whereas the FF was a depature in comics.

For that matter, the JLA was derivative of the JSA from the 1940s.

Rookie Poster

Marvel has the better films - though I liked the new darker batman ones. The only older batman film which I can watch is the one with J Nicholson. I think RD Jr makes the Iron Man character what it is. Avengers would have been a lot more boring without him.

Comic wise Marvel MAX is good. Most the traditional Marvel superheroes are one dimensional. I tend to stick to the Marvel MAX series... anything written by Garth Ennis like Punisher or Nick Fury. Shame the Punisher film was a let down.

DC has much better comics though - most in the Vertigo imprint. Again, personally I hate their 'superhero' comics. There are a few good batman runs (Year One, Return....). The best series haven't been made into films (Preacher, Y, Sandman, DMZ, Scalped, etc)

Other good comic book films I liked - Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Kick Ass (awesome film!, better comic), League of Extraordinary, Hellboy, Sin City (very true to the original). Everyone hates Tank Girl but I loved that when I was a kid.

Senior Member Junior Poster NightmareX0666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Eva, I get all those movies..looking foward to most of them..but..

ANT_MAN??

A movie about Hank Pym? Seriously? I don't get it.
    The only reason why I could see this is the introduction of himself as either Ant-man or Giant-man (or Goliath or Yellowjacket), the background betwen him and Janet (Wasp) and the fact he does create one of the Avenger biggest foes...Ultron.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaCassini View Post
    Hard talks about Thor 3, Avengers 3, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Iron-Fist, Luke Cage, Deadpool, Hulk reboot (w/Rufallo), and continuing sequels. No...I doubt very much that Marvel's competition, DC, is going to make a dent.

Don't get me wrong, they can try...but it is going to be insanely hard. LMAO
    This does make me nervous as the marvel Universe is huge, and that is one of the reasons for their downsizing back in the 90s. Too many characters, too many comics, and too many confusing points. The just need to make Iron Fist and Luke Cage into one movie. The Hulk sequel probably won't happen until after the Avengers 2. For the longest I thought the best person to play Doc Strange would have been Bruce Campbell...hell no worse than having Nick Cage (who got his last name from Luke Cage) playing Ghost Rider.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bruce-campbell-4.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	577599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drstrange-white2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	577600  

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NightmareX0666 View Post
    The only reason why I could see this is the introduction of himself as either Ant-man or Giant-man (or Goliath or Yellowjacket), the background betwen him and Janet (Wasp) and the fact he does create one of the Avenger biggest foes...Ultron.
    It isn't intended to be the Hank Pym version -- more based off Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    It isn't intended to be the Hank Pym version -- more based off Kirkman's Irredeemable Ant-Man
    Damn, gonna need to read more... I used to know everything about the Marvel Universe...until I got lost with the whole Spider-man/Scarlett Spider storyline (again too many titles and too many storylines).