Veteran Poster

Default Mixed Orientation Marriages

It's going to happen sooner then later and most likely within my lifetime here in the states. Once gay and lesbian marriage becomes ratified throught the 50 states, that's going to open the door to transgendered and perhaps even polyamourus groups. I'm sure the the fundies are shitting in their pants waiting for the next shoe to drop on their concept of marriage.

So let me be blunt.

Is a LTR marriage possible between a transgendered person and a heterosexually identified individual? I really don't know what to ask here. There's too much societal detritus and predjudice that gets in the way to begin questioning possibilities. I'll leave this to those of you that have a better grasp on this.

For the sake of comparison. Is a marriage between for example a heterosexual woman and a gay man possible in the long term. This one is potentially an explosive reality that may soon come as more and more women are higher educated and have high paying careers and refuse to settle for anything less then a higher status and wealthier mate that share's their interests. This demographic will be a force to be reckoned within the next 20 years as more and more 35+ professional women are finding themselves outside the marriage market and will not settle for anything less then their ideal of their own prince charming. Translate that to a high status Banker, Doctor, or other higher earning professional that shares their interests in art, fashion, and culture. That's not happening and most guys in that class would rather date a much younger, early 20+ and could care less about the artsy fartsy nonsense.

How about two straight people of the same gender getting married ? Not as crazy as it sounds. A century ago, so called "Boston Marriages" between two educated and self sufficent women was legal. These weren't marriages based on sex or orientation. These were marriages of convenience based on close friendship and common support. Theoretically two straight women can marry in states that have same sex marriages, carry on separate sexual lives with multiple male partners, yet draw state/paternal child support benefits from the biological father as a legally recognized married couple and all of the other state benefits afforded to single mothers.

This isn't about sex and primal attraction. I'm wondering about the feasability of a ltr based on love,affection, and caring for one another even if the gender roles don't conform to the current norm.

1 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Default Re: Mixed Orientation Marriages

If two individuals are committed to marrying and making it work then it's immaterial what their genders/orientations are.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

Polyamorous marraige? The Slippery slope argument is bullshit. Why didn't you just go beastiality if you were going to do that. Wow.

Look, Male-Male, Female-Female, Male-Female, that's the only issue. And it's going to happen, so even that isn't much of an issue. Transgender marriage? It's included in here as the current laws are only really concerned with gender of record as recorded at birth. If you have a penis when you are born, chances are you will be recorded as a male at the time of your birth. It doesn't take into account gender identity. Only gender as recorded at time of birth. There are some jurisdictions that recognize SRS surgery as a correction of gender (Good on them!) and will change a birth certificate to indicate the change in recorded gender. In those places, as far as transgendered men or women are concerned, if they are now of the opposite gender, no problem. Legally, male-female marriage is, and always will be the law of the land. When you run into SRS (male to female for example) and a same sex union after, then the current laws become tricky. That said, same-sex marriage as well as opposite sex marriages being legal solves all problems in this respect, because it won't matter any more.

Polyamorous marriage. Jesus Christ what a stupid point to make. It is unrelated to this argument. There are some places, mostly in Islamic nations, where it is legal. In the rest of the world, nope. And it's going away in some of those others. It's not a human rights issue, it's not a moral rights issue, it's barely a property law and transfer issue. There is no justification to allow marriage between multiples of 3 or more people. Governments will discourage it for health and tax reasons as well.

As for straight men marrying straight men, or a heterosexual woman and a homosexual man. The point is moot. Legally, with passage of same-gender marriage, it doesn't matter. If the greater point you are trying to make is that "I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry" crap where two straight guys marry for health benefits, tax deductions, or something else, the law already provides a solution. It's called fraud and is highly punnishable. As for the Boston Marriages, most states also had Dower and Curtsey laws back then, most don't now. Times change, the need for these kinds of legal protections is gone.

But what the hell do I know, I've only got 2 law degrees, passed the bar in four states and 2 countries.

Jus wookin puh nub.

Gold Poster