Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Default Anyone looking forward to the world cup?

Cant wait but hope England squad will be in full force. Any views or predictions?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Cannot wait for it - more excited about this one than last one as even with one-footed Rooney, we've got some great skills in Gerrard, Cole, Lampard and Terry - even Owen from my club should be up for it.
    Going to be fun. My prediction - it's not going to be one of the obvious ones - so not Brazil or Germany - hopefully the Argies will get knocked out embarressinly again, as will the French.
    seanchai

sheesh seanchai, I was always under the impression that you were a
    Dutchie!

"life is the difference between what you expect of it and the actual thing"

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arena95
    sheesh seanchai, I was always under the impression that you were a
    Dutchie!
    Lived in Amsterdam for 2 years after being pushed out of UK - but all Geordie.
    seanchai

Rookie Poster

I guess geordies know their football! we do have a real chance if Rooneys recovery is swift. Even if it isnt we lost our best player just before the '66 tournament.....

You a Newcastle supporter Seanchai?

Rookie Poster

The U.S. is in a hell of a group, but this will be the best team we ever send to a WC, so there's some optimism.

I just don't know how anyone can beat Brazil, they'll have to play a poor game and/or Ronaldinho gets injured.

Junior Poster

No Rooney, and Micheal just coming back, that = no cup I'm afraid. Also, as a prediction, the Toons will be less one England international striker too next season.

Germany will win. They are host nation and host nations always do well.

Shame Wales isn't there.

AJAX, AJAX.......er...sorry, HOLLAND, HOLLAND!

"life is the difference between what you expect of it and the actual thing"

5 Star Poster

Sad to say that with Rooney probably either out or not match fit, England will face an uphill battle. I Rooney is fit in time then I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach the semis, provided that Gerrard and Beckham can perform (I think Lampard will impress a few people). Otherwise it will be the quarterfinals again.

Holland always flatter to deceive, but hopefully van Basten has instilled a new kind of work ethic and the younger players will be hungry so we'll see some efficient as well as attractive football.

The Serbians have a strong defence and I feel that Iran might catch one or two teams by surprise. Portugal have potential and I'd love to see Spain doing well for a change. The Ukraine have Schevchenko, but is he enough to get them to the quarters?

I can't really see past Brazil. I think the Czech Republic will do well and expect to see both Argentina and Germany reaching the quarter finals but little more. They could have some of the young stars of the tournament in Messi (Argentina) and Podolski (Germany). I wouldn't be surprised to see an African team in the semis, but really Brazil have so much talent that I think it would be foolish to bet against them.

A question though- Why isn't this thread in the Sports Lounge section?

Navin R. Johnson: You mean I'm going to stay this color??
    Mother: I'd love you if you were the color of a baboon's ass.

Junior Poster

Well the Rooney injury is a tough one... Hope he does make it back he is one helluva player.

Personally I hope the US does well but I am not a Huge fan of the team they picked. They have a few players that are getting up there in years. How can you leave a dangerous Forward like Twellman off the team. IF John O'brien is healthy he will show the word what a world class footer he is. This may still be the best US Team they have sent to Cup, and they have been getting stronger each cup.

They do have a tough Draw. I know some of the guys persoanlly, (J McBride, Twellman, Rolston.... ) and really hope they do very well.

After that.. I am an Italy fan.. but dont think their squad is up for it this time around....

Brazil and Germany look Strong..