Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Default Have you gone digital?

More and more I'm looking at the clutter in my life and I'm thinking I want it physically gone. I'm a large consumer of media: comics, DVDs, books -- it all takes up tons of space. Lately when I've bought videos I've made sure they include digital copies; most of the comics I buy include downloads; my most recent book purchases were digital.

I think I'm just about over all the physical stuff.

Has anyone else started feeling this way? Has anyone else gone entirely digital? What have you found to be the downsides? How do you store your files? Do you maintain backups? etc?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default Re: Have you gone digital?

1. Dumped all my CD's into digital format - threw away the cases and kept the originals in folders.
    2. Done the same with DVD's.
    This alone claimed back lots of room!

3. Threw out every book that I didn't plan to re-read in the next 2 yrs bar a few. I can get them all cheaply online if I want to re-read.
    4. Sold all my comic books and graphic novels on ebay.

Like is better with less clutter.

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seanchai View Post
    1. Dumped all my CD's into digital format - threw away the cases and kept the originals in folders.
    2. Done the same with DVD's.
    This alone claimed back lots of room!

3. Threw out every book that I didn't plan to re-read in the next 2 yrs bar a few. I can get them all cheaply online if I want to re-read.
    4. Sold all my comic books and graphic novels on ebay.

Like is better with less clutter.
    I had already done that with CDs... except I sold my originals to a used shop then except for things I had an emotional attachment to. Never considered doing it with DVDs - that's a good idea.

Silver Poster

my entire film library is digital. so is my television/cable. i only have a blu-ray player and digital projector and only buy records on vinyl or mp3 (vinyl always comes with an mp3 copy too). i never EVER bought cds

books are the only thing i still keep in physical format but i donated a lot to last christmas.

Jennifer Buckingham Veteran Poster jennylicious's Avatar
    I'm not in Kansas anymore (I am in the UK though...)

I'm pretty sure my radio still has valves...

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Pretty much every magazine I read is now done on my iPad...except for those not in digital format of course. Same goes for the newspaper. I primarily buy my movies and music via iTunes, but once in awhile I'll buy the physical copy of an album or movie (Mary J. Blige or another favorite artist; Django Unchained).

The books I tend to buy aren't usually available in digital format (car books from Motorbooks, specific sports books) but I'm sure the publishers are working on that.

I still have all of my CDs though; some are ultra-rare and are out of print.

William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I'm a big Horror and Metal fan. Have tons of DVDs and CDs all still in cases. I'm a real pack-rat that can't separate myself from them. Lucky I never got into memorabilia. I look for DVD/VHS player boxes and keep my stuff in there stacked from floor to ceiling. I have a system and know where everything is.

Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Just last year I gifted by entire CD (1,000+) collection to the local hospice charity shop. Never that attached to the covers and sleeve notes so just gave the lot away.

Slightly, but only slightly, ashamed to say I've illegally downloaded some of my music collection but I justify it on the basis that nearly 50% of my CD collection had been previously owned on either vinyl or cassette. I had Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' on all three formats and I don't recall any of the record companies refunding me the duplicated profits or royalties. I reckon they fleeced us during all the format changes so I don't feel too guilty if I snatch the odd track or two nowadays ...

Recently bought a kindle fire and am still experimenting it. It doesn't smell like a book, however.....

I am in the process of uploading all the CD's to a Brennan box and will then put them into storage. If they're by friends - which happens a lot when you're in the music biz - I'll keep them for sentimental reasons. Same with my ludicrously large collection of vinyl albums. So many of them are tied to a specific incident or person that I can't bear to part with them.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Recently bought a kindle fire and am still experimenting it. It doesn't smell like a book, however.....

I am in the process of uploading all the CD's to a Brennan box and will then put them into storage. If they're by friends - which happens a lot when you're in the music biz - I'll keep them for sentimental reasons. Same with my ludicrously large collection of vinyl albums. So many of them are tied to a specific incident or person that I can't bear to part with them.
    Can't get rid of the vinyl.