Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Re: Have you gone digital?

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper007 View Post
    So you are staying anal-log?
    Excellent play on words. Much respect.

I'd rather have my farts downloaded the old-fashioned way.

Last edited by Dino Velvet; 04-17-2013 at 06:30 PM.

I flushed an anal log down my toilet a few minutes ago.

Member Rookie Poster

After reading news and newspapers online since, i dunno, 1998 or so I actually went back to a subscription of a printed newspaper on paper. I have the impression I am better informed about world affairs, politics, economics and cultural events than before, simply because the editors do a good job in seperating the newsworthy from the trash. And on the net u get drawn in gazillion of links, reading comments etc that u forget quickly about the main aspects of subjects.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

[QUOTE=Dino Velvet;1309477]Excellent play on words. Much respect.

Coming from the Master, I am very honored.

Thank You

Oh no! I think my pixilated ass just got bitmapped...

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Digital is an add on not a substitute. I have several thousand old vinyl albums, more thousands of CDs and have digitised all the latter but will not rid myself of them. I had a drive with lots of music stored on it die recently - so thank god the hard copies still exist. Same with digital images. You have to back them up a few times. Onto DVD or CD as well as external drives.

Plus I still love the feel of real books. And the look.
    Recently i got a book of the photography of Sebastiao Salgado - seem my posts elsewhere - and the great physicality of the object and the quality of the reproductions is wonderful. A Kindle version would never do it justice. Another recent new acquisition is "The Book Of Scarcely Imagined Beings' a series of science essays (the title is inspired by Borges) is another glorious physical object with lovely artists engravings. A digital version just would not be the same.

Kindles etc are, however, great for portablity and taking a lot of reading matter on a long trip.

But again have you ever taken a plane ride in pre-digital days and been told to "turn your book off."

Just read Seanchai's post... yes I did that with my CDs and DVDs... now the folders take up a lot of space. But books. Noe... in the words of a novel by Anthony Powell "Books Do Furnish A Room."

Member Rookie Poster

Books have quite some durability.

I have some doubts, that a Kindle I buy today will still be working in 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by f-finger View Post
    Books have quite some durability.

I have some doubts, that a Kindle I buy today will still be working in 2035.
    I agree.... I got some floppy disks from a few years back and they are totally unreadable and a whole set of CD-Roms that I paid a lot of money for that can't be ready by contemporary computers.

The other half of going digital is ridding yourself of paper you keep for notes and reference. With the advent of the iPhone and iPad, I am really trying to get away from scraps of paper and the such. My 10 year old printer gave up the ghost, and I was tired of paying out the ass for ink cartridges anyway.

Solution: Penultimate and Good Reader apps. Penultimate is for hand writing out your notes, and since it now is part of Evernote it syncs automatically, so you can refer to your notes everywhere. If I have notes that I want to keep at a meeting, I just take them in Penultimate with a stylus. If people in the meeting need notes (and are willing to put up with my handwriting) they can have them immediately after they are taken. And automatically backed up to the cloud...better than a lost notebook.

The Goodreader part of it features an ability to fill in PDFs with typed info, as well as handwritten, save them and email them without ever having to print anything out. No longer do I have to print something out, just to sign it and return. Now THAT"S digital.

If I absolutely need to print something out, I just mail it to my Local Office Depot, and pick it up on the way to the Post Office.

Oh, and one more thing, for quick scanning with the iPhone, try TinyScan or TinyScanPro...scans, straightens and converts documents right into PDFs from your device. The pro version has been free lately.

Enjoy the digital life.