Rookie Poster

Default Civic partnership in the UK - info required

Wondering if anyone had specific details of just how easy/difficult it is to set up a civic partnership with a ts from abroad. Top tips etc would be appreciated.

SHARP SHOOTING SOUNDS Rookie Poster supersharpshooter's Avatar

Default Re: Civic partnership in the UK - info required

You can get married as well now you know.

It dependes where they are from. If from the EU it will be a damn site easier than if from a non EU country.

Remember, they won't get an automatic passport or leave to remain just because you are married.

My advice is check the home office website for the best advice

Thatchers state funeral should be privatised. Its what she would have wanted

Senior Member Platinum Poster

As far as I know as long as you are both over 18 and not already married etc, it is not difficult to form a civil partnership, but it doesn't guarantee that your partner will be granted either a) leave to remain in the UK, if he/she is already here; or b) be granted an entry visa/partnership visa if they are abroad.

Your best course of action is to visit the nearest Registry Office of the Council that performs civil partnership ceremonies -you need to check first because not every Council performs them and in some places depending on the time of year and place you might have to wait a month before they can fit you in. Note also that it takes place in two stages: 1) Registering in public your name and your partner's name as notice of your intention to form a civil partnership, cost around £35-40 (varies from council to council); and 2) after 15 days you have the formal ceremony in the Registry Office, fees around £80 unless you want to hire a hall/Wembley Stadium in which case go past £100 and keep going.

What I am still not clear about is whether or not someone outside the EU can form a civil partnership if they have entered the UK on say a Visitor's or a Student visa -some advice groups will say you can, whereas Citizen's Advice Bureau says that:
    Before you will be allowed to give notice, you must have been granted entry clearance to the UK specifically for the purpose of registering a civil partnership in the UK.
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...il_partnership

The link below to Lambeth Council in London is useful
    http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/C...rtnerships.htm

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Junior Poster surf4490's Avatar

I know how to get an "Uncivil Partnership" ,just get married then wait a few years

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Rookie Poster

Thanks, peeps, esp Stavros, I'll check out those sites. I've done a bunch of research, it's in relation to a Brazilian ts who's got a student visa Southern Ireland which seems to complicate things rather more!
    Any more advice, esp from an experienced ts, would be much appreciated!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't know what the law in Ireland is on this -must be some weblinks for it. The LGBT community in the UK has a lot on the laws relating to this, I daresay the Irish are also clued into it.