Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Justice Scalia Compares Same Sex Marriage to Murder...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: Justice Scalia Compares Same Sex Marriage to Murder...

Top 5 WORST Homophobic Quotes from Justice Scalia:

He's a jerk. He's also a legal stickler when things get tight. I might be way off base here, but I have a strong gut feeling that the "compelling interest" argument will sway even Scalia to let the California State Supreme Court ruling stand. The Prop 8 supporters have yet to be able to articulate a reason for this law, except to discriminate against a particular group of people. Personal or social views about sexuality have never really been an important part of this case throughout the appeals process. I predict a lopsided decision in favor of the California decision. This could be a major blow against legalized compulsory hatred. It's about time. It's been over 48 years since passage of the Civil Rights Act.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    He's a jerk. He's also a legal stickler when things get tight. I might be way off base here, but I have a strong gut feeling that the "compelling interest" argument will sway even Scalia to let the California State Supreme Court ruling stand. The Prop 8 supporters have yet to be able to articulate a reason for this law, except to discriminate against a particular group of people. Personal or social views about sexuality have never really been an important part of this case throughout the appeals process. I predict a lopsided decision in favor of the California decision. This could be a major blow against legalized compulsory hatred. It's about time. It's been over 48 years since passage of the Civil Rights Act.
    Completely agree. And here's an excellent illustration of both how and why people like Scalia will fail in the long run.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equal amrriage.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	568300  

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Completely agree. And here's an excellent illustration of both how and why people like Scalia will fail in the long run.
    Indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	568301  

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Eternal optimist Junior Poster beatlephil's Avatar

The California State Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8 as Constitutional. It was a Federal Court ruling that declared it as unconstitutional. That ruling was upheld by a three judge panel of the Federal 9th Court of Appeal. That ruling is what's being ruled upon by the U.S. Supreme Court. The 9th Court of Appeal is the most liberal appeal court in the country and has been the most overturned appeal court in the country so we'll just have to wait and see. A split decision is more likely letting Proposition 8 stand while striking down parts of DOMA. The Supreme Court has made it clear it has no stomach for imposing on the country another Roe Vs. Wade-like ruling that will only lead to decades of bitter infighting to abolish gay marriage via another law or a Constitutional Amendment. And if you think that can't happen, people opposed to Prohibition against alcohol never thought it would get a two-thirds vote in the House of Representatives, but it did. Or get two-thirds in the Senate. But it did. Or be ratified by three-fourths of the states. But it did. It took a Great Depression to get the votes in Congress and the states to repeal it. I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening again anytime soon.

Last edited by beatlephil; 03-28-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    beatlephil

I've done my service Platinum Poster Willie Escalade's Avatar

Do they drug test the justices? Because he's on some really powerful shit...

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    William Escalade is no more. He's done his service to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Escalade View Post
    Do they drug test the justices? Because he's on some really powerful shit...
    It's called homophobia, Willie.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Roe vs Wade is one of the Court's most laudable decisions. It as stood as bulwark since 1973 against the idiotic superstition that a blastocyst is animated by magic spirit assigned to it by a sky god who was invented by an archaic desert people and against the religious right's demand that we should impose the consequences of this "sublime" belief on intelligent women who wish to use reason and science when making decisions about their own body.

I'm hoping against hope that the Court has the moral courage to make another decision like Roe vs Wade; that they recognize that marriage is for gays as well as straights and establish a precedent that protects gays and lesbians against the prejudices of our country's aged homophobic bigots until such time as they all die of old age.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Talking Re: Justice Scalia Compares Same Sex Marriage to Murder...

Quote Originally Posted by beatlephil View Post
    The California State Supreme Court upheld Proposition 8 as Constitutional. It was a Federal Court ruling that declared it as unconstitutional. That ruling was upheld by a three judge panel of the Federal 9th Court of Appeal. That ruling is what's being ruled upon by the U.S. Supreme Court. The 9th Court of Appeal is the most liberal appeal court in the country and has been the most overturned appeal court in the country so we'll just have to wait and see. A split decision is more likely letting Proposition 8 stand while striking down parts of DOMA. The Supreme Court has made it clear it has no stomach for imposing on the country another Roe Vs. Wade-like ruling that will only lead to decades of bitter infighting to abolish gay marriage via another law or a Constitutional Amendment. And if you think that can't happen, people opposed to Prohibition against alcohol never thought it would get a two-thirds vote in the House of Representatives, but it did. Or get two-thirds in the Senate. But it did. Or be ratified by three-fourths of the states. But it did. It took a Great Depression to get the votes in Congress and the states to repeal it. I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening again anytime soon.
    Okay, mea culpa. Guess I should have looked before relying on memory that isn't getting any younger.

Different argument though. CSPAN aired the 9th Circuit orals again the other day, & the California constitutional argument over initiative deference was alluded to but shunted aside because it doesn't & can't pertain to Federal Constitutional law. The federal court arguments & rulings in this case have been about whether the State of California has any kind of compelling interest in creating law that discriminates against a particular group of people. That really hasn't been addressed by the proponents so far, because they don't have one.

As for the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals:
    They may very well be the most overturned, but I believe they're also the most upheld. They're the biggest circuit. A whole lot bigger than the others in covered territory, number of judges, & caseload. So big that no President has been able to control it through appointments. The idea that it's some bastion of "liberalism" is as silly as the pundits who mindlessly repeat the meme.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~