Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Homeless man ticketed for looking for food in trash

it sucks being homeless now you even get a ticket

Really? The man was hungry. He's not hurting anyone, right?
    James Kelly was hungry and looking for something to eat. He tried to find it in a trash bin near Houston City Hall.
    For that, the man, who said he spent about nine years in the Navy but fell on hard times, was ticketed by a Houston police officer.
    According to his copy of the citation, Kelly, 44, was charged on Thursday with "disturbing the contents of a garbage can in (the) downtown business district."
    Read More at the Houston Chronicle

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/billca...#ixzz2NMEzRub6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	616_1351861814.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	563380  

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Re: Homeless man ticketed for looking for food in trash

I notice my trash cans say for people not to reach in there. The Blue Can is for bottles and cans that are worth money. My city's(LA) motive is probably greed. If the Mexicans and Central Americans don't get my recyclables I chase them down the street with full bags of them. I grew up with those people in Catholic School and broken bread plenty of times with them.

5 Star Poster south ov da border's Avatar

here in the Orlando area they have repeatedly jailed people for feeding the homeless. The fact that they are giving a homeless person a ticket is doubly harsh- 1 how are they going to pay it and 2 they aren't just taking people to lock up so they can eat and sleep anymore

too much french fries, not enough shakes...

Quote Originally Posted by south ov da border View Post
    here in the Orlando area they have repeatedly jailed people for feeding the homeless. The fact that they are giving a homeless person a ticket is doubly harsh- 1 how are they going to pay it and 2 they aren't just taking people to lock up so they can eat and sleep anymore
    Free the homeless and incarcerate a gang member instead.

Los Angeles City Council(a gang also if you ask me)

Last edited by Dino Velvet; 03-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Senior Member Professional Poster

I don't know which I find more wrong... the people stealing empty cans by the bag load or the poor homeless bloke given a ticket!

My question how will he pay his fine? I am assuming he was given a fine right?

Madness... here in the UK scrap metal thief's take lead off of roof tops or 'live' copper cables for telephones and/or electricity...

Silver Poster

maybe this foundation can help, that way, it can have at least more than 1 white person in it's banner

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    maybe this foundation can help, that way, it can have at least more than 1 white person in it's banner

Poor girl was trying to buy weed then kill two birds with one stone.

Homeless veteran cited after searching trash bin for food

They’ve traveled many different roads with all of them leading to the same destination - a place called homelessness. James Kelly, 44, is no exception. view full article

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/MoreSt...#ixzz2NNKmMbmp

(NEWSER) – James Kelly, a nine-year Navy veteran, was ticketed in Houston last week for trying to find something to eat. Kelly, who is homeless, was looking for food in a trash bin near Houston's City Hall when a police officer charged him with "disturbing the contents of a garbage can in (the) downtown business district," the Chronicle reports.
    Supporters of the 44-year-old are criticizing Houston's recent efforts to regulate the feeding of the homeless, which they see as the impetus for the ticket. (Good Samaritans are prohibited from giving food to the homeless, News 92 FM adds.)

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/MoreSt...#ixzz2NNKaRrZy

http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/MoreSt...ticle=11053775

Health Department orders destruction of 1,600 pounds of venison donated to homeless shelters

"We cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public"

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/MoreSt...#ixzz2NNKx5CCC

Hunters across Louisiana are outraged after state health officials ordered a rescue mission to destroy $8,000 worth of deer meat because venison is not allowed to be served in homeless shelters.
    The Dept. of Health and Hospitals ordered the staff at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission to throw 1,600 pounds of donated venison in garbage bins – and then ordered then to douse the meat with Clorox – so other animals would not eat the meat.
    “Deer meat is not permitted to be served in a shelter, restaurant or any other public eating establishment in Louisiana,” said a Health Dept. official in an email to Fox News. “While we applaud the good intentions of the hunters who donated this meat, we must protect the people who eat at the Rescue Mission, and we cannot allow a potentially serious health threat to endanger the public.”
    That statement set off a firestorm among hunters and lawmakers who called it outrageous and insulting.
    “That’s a mild understatement,” said Richard Campbell, one of the founders of Hunters for the Hungry, a group that has been donating wild game to shelters since 1993. “Hunters are going nuts over it. It’s created an outrage across our state and even over into Mississippi.”
    Click here to read more from Fox News and Commentary

Read more: http://www.kfiam640.com/pages/MoreSt...#ixzz2NNL1rnJS

I worked at a fancy grocery store as a kid. They had great hot and cold prepared food at the end of the night that they threw out. Such a shame because we begged them to box it up with me reminding them how sinful it was to waste food. They were worried about lawsuits from someone eating bad food. I understood their point as this is the world we live in and the city I do. Even in knowing that I still wished I could have smuggled the food to the needy.

I also worked at a restaurant/bar that didn't have that policy and our waitresses gave away lots of food in Santa Monica. Many of our girls weren't used to seeing homeless in this way and were very caring. My job was to keep the peace but I was proud of them.