View Poll Results: What faith do you profess?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catholic

2 5.00%
  • Protestant

4 10.00%
  • Evangelical Christian

0 0%
  • Baptist

3 7.50%
  • Observant Jew

1 2.50%
  • Muslim

2 5.00%
  • Hindu

0 0%
  • Buddhist

0 0%
  • Atheist

17 42.50%
  • Agnostic

11 27.50%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What faith

Default Re: What faith

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    I haven't missed the point at all. I chose a few of the most likely faiths here. Of course I wouldn't include all the sects of hinduism etc etc...... you are being pedantic to what end I don't quite know why. Merely because you enjoy being a contrarian - or perhaps a cantankerous old curmudgeon? I thought throwing a question like this out might provoke some reasonably interesting responses. That's all.
    You probably should have included "other" as a category. I suppose 'protestant' would be the closest, but I practice from a movement called "Religious Science". However, some people mistakenly believe that it is the same as Christian Science, Scientology, or other movements with the word 'science' in the title. They are all different. My movement identifies as Christian, but recognizes the validity of non -Christian religions also. It's part of a greater movement, sometimes called New Thought Christianity. The movement emerged in the 1920's and 30's, with thinkers such as Charles Filmore, and Ernest Holmes.

As I have stated in other posts; for me today, it's not about faith in God, but what principles guide your daily lives. I treasure and study, the teachings of that 'left wing liberal' known as Jesus Christ :
    Luke 14:12-14

New International Version (NIV)

12 Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. 13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

Do You think this would go over well at a Republican convention? He said nothing about the unborn, or homosexuality, that I know of. Anyway, today I search for deeper meanings and symbolism beyond the surface of Bible stories. An easy to understand example of this, would be in the Parable of the Talents. At that time of the story, it was a very valuable coin. But if you think of the coin, as meaning of what we call 'talent' today, the story becomes very clear. The man who buried his talent, had his taken away. And the other two who took theirs to the market place were rewarded. And by the way in the story, the "master" gave each a different amount of the coin. But the master's judgment at the end, was not about who had the most, but what each one did with what he was given.

So this is my sermon, for today.

Member Rookie Poster Molly D'Vyne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    I'm thinking that there's a lot of confusion over the terms "agnostic" & "atheist". When "a" is used as a prefix, it means 'not'. It doesn't necessarily mean "anti".

Being "theist" means one has a belief in a creator or supreme being. Being "atheist" simply means not being theist. There's no animosity implied. It's merely being unaffected by personal religious beliefs. It can still be interesting.

Gnosticism is the active search for spirituality. Being "agnostic" (long A, silent G) is simply not looking. There's no confusion implied. Ambivalence maybe. The term is closer to "don't care" than "don't know". Confusion comes from answers not forthcoming. Who's asking?

Just my take. I'm sure somebody'll let me know if I'm incorrect, just to blow or stall my promotion to omniscience if nothing else.
    It doesn't necessarily mean "not looking", it can also point more to a belief that there isn't enough evidence to support or disprove the existence of some sort of deity... etc. Just because I am more or less ambivalent over it, doesn't extend to a lack of intellectual curiosity over the subject.

From ze Wikipedias:
    In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that humanity does not currently possess the requisite knowledge and/or reason to provide sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist.

I'm intrigued by religion, but I don't subscribe to any faith in particular really... if that makes sense.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Yoda... a great post thanks. Yes, I fully accept that the teachings of Christ have immense things to teach us all. it's the established religions - the "church" - that has led to so much ill in the world.

Os I prefer the rich language of the King james version to the modern take of the version you quote.

And i do recognise the flaws in the range of choices i offered Other should definitely be there as an acknowledgement that doubt (agnosticism) or certainty (atheism) are not faiths. Perhaps they should have been combined into "none."

Last edited by Prospero; 03-16-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Love the illustrations. So are you a unicyling-buddhist or a multicycler? (If confused see my post http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/sho...95&postcount=3 )
    Unicyling Zen .
    Glad you liked the art. Here are the "Three Sisters" of Sumi-e Brush Painting ,bamboo,cherry and pine. And some monkeys by Mori Sozen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	565011   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen0.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	565012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen-watercolor-bamboo-ipad-background.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	565013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen5.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	565014  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen7.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	253.6 KB 
ID:	565015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen8.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	565016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zen9.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	565017  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

General Dick Suction Veteran Poster Ms.Stepford's Avatar

Why isn't Dionysian an option?

That's the only one I'd profess.

Excellent Ms Stepford. The trouble is they only allow 10 options.

Well, I'll take the Buddhists' slot.

They're not gonna do anything about it!

Ms Stepford... I've had PMs from Jedis and from one or two other minorities. Maybe I should just open the thing up - what is your belief system, if any? But Dionysian is pretty fantastic iI think.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I'd like to be Dionysian, but the Apollo in me gets in the way.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Well, I'm glad you appreciate!

Most of my closest friends would tell you the same!