Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Is It True You Can't Get Good Chinese Food In LA?

I like it but what do I know? Like to get some good Korean without having to go to Wilshire & Vermont too.

Default Re: Is It True You Can't Get Good Chinese Food In LA?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I like it but what do I know? Like to get some good Korean without having to go to Wilshire & Vermont too.
    Go to China and be amazed in both good and bad ways. Hong Kong is the safest place to start and then it just gets more interesting and dangerous, especially off the tourist track.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Rookie Poster

Check out SGV, plenty of good places off of the 60

Senior Member 5 Star Poster

Dino- don't eat that stuff. The fat, the sugar, the disrespect to Chinese moms and grandmas- it'll kill you.

Stick to Korean and load up on the kimchi.

On Lincoln, just south of Wash. (mini-plaza by a Walgreen) is a decent place- good beef, too.

Authentic Chinese food was actually invented in Brooklyn, New York in the early 1920's and was refined by German Jewish immigrants who settled here before WW ll. They fine-tuned recipes for shrimp with lobster sauce and chicken chow mein and opened take out restaurants all over the northeast. After the war, real Chinese people immigrated to the US and discovered their long lost cuisine.

Quote Originally Posted by MdR Dave View Post
    Dino- don't eat that stuff. The fat, the sugar, the disrespect to Chinese moms and grandmas- it'll kill you.

Stick to Korean and load up on the kimchi.

On Lincoln, just south of Wash. (mini-plaza by a Walgreen) is a decent place- good beef, too.
    That sounds like a good tip. Thanks. I'm not much for Kimchi but I like bulgogi and some of their veggies.

I eat at Cheng Du on Pico by Gateway in West LA. Pretty decent with good Kung Pao and Hot & Sour Soup. Big fish tank by front register.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Authentic Chinese food was actually invented in Brooklyn, New York in the early 1920's and was refined by German Jewish immigrants who settled here before WW ll. They fine-tuned recipes for shrimp with lobster sauce and chicken chow mein and opened take out restaurants all over the northeast. After the war, real Chinese people immigrated to the US and discovered their long lost cuisine.
    Nice, flabby! I take it you mean "authentic" in the sense that its what Americans think is real Chinese food. Having travelled widely inside China and away from the tourist spots, I can assure you all that a native Chinese person, unless they were able to move freely from place to place, would find other Chinese cuisines alien to what they were used to. Cantonese for example, which is what we tend to get here in the UK, is about as far from the fire and dry spices of Szechuan as its possible to get. And lord only knows what a Chinese native in New York would think of chop suey!

It's the same with Italian. Go to Italy and you'll discover that 50% of the dishes you get in Italian restaurants in the US simply don't exist over there.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    One of my tenants is a little Jewish guy from Brooklyn. Is it OK for me to assume he knows about Chinese Food or should I treat it cautiously like the dreadful and unspeakable Fried Chicken & Watermelon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    One of my tenants is a little Jewish guy from Brooklyn. Is it OK for me to assume he knows about Chinese Food or should I treat it cautiously like the dreadful and unspeakable Fried Chicken & Watermelon?
    Ask him about chicken chow rubinstein.

Or five-spice ribs, but to you, seven.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Ask him about chicken chow rubinstein.

Or five-spice ribs, but to you, seven.
    You reminded me my aunt knows a lot about Chinese Food because I remember having the best Chinese Ribs ever down in Palos Verdes. I'm stoned like heck and could eat a platter right now.