Post 53 false prophecies of joseph smith

53 FALSE PROPHECIES OF JOSEPH SMITH

53 FALSE PROPHECIES OF JOSEPH SMITH

Dear Family and Friends: On August 5, 1979, I wrote you a letter explaining why I had found it necessary to have my name removed from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. My hope was that each of you would obtain some of the books and articles and determine for yourselves if I was right or that I had in fact been led astray in my research. The response of most of my family and friends is to take the ostrich approach. You have all stuck your heads in the sand and declared by your inaction that you do not want to hear about it, read about it or even think about it. This approach will lead you to your eternal destruction.
    Because you will not make the effort to obtain any of the books or articles that I outlined in my August 5, 1979 letter (or won't read them even after I have traveled a thousand miles and given them to you), I am going to, hopefully, save you some time by reducing all of the material to what I call the "bottom-line issue" in the hope that you will realize why you are being led to your eternal destruction.
    If Joseph Smith was a true prophet then everyone should follow his teachings. If, however, Joseph Smith was a false prophet, then he should be exposed as such. There are at least twenty-three references in the Bible dealing with false prophets. Some of these references are specific tests to determine if the prophet is a true prophet of God. I would like to apply just two of these tests to Joseph Smith. Deuteronomy 13:1-5 is the first Scripture in the Bible dealing with false prophets. The issue in these verses is whether the prophet leads the people after another god.
    The god of Mormonism was born as a boy in another world. He grew up, got baptized by one holding the proper authority, got married in the temple for time and all eternity (probably to more than one wife), had many children, was obedient to all of the laws and ordinances of the gospel and eventually died. Because of his obedience and faithfulness, and by the Law of Eternal Progression, he was exalted and became god. If you know anything about Mormon doctrine, you know that this is the god of Mormonism. His name is Eloheim (or Ahman) and he lives on a planet (or star) nearest the planet Kolob. He is a glorified, resurrected, exalted man, having a tangible body of flesh and bones (see Mormon Doctrine by Bruce R. McConkie, p. 250).
    I declare to you that the god of Mormonism is another god, as spoken of in Deuteronomy 13:2. The god of Mormonism is not the God that I worship. My God is not a glorified, resurrected, exalted man, having a tangible body of flesh and bones. My God is not a created being. My God is a Spirit, not man (John 4:24). My God is a reasoning, purposeful, Spirit-being who is omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, tri-personal (yet singular), self-existent, immutable (unchangeable), eternal, holy, love, just, and merciful.
    Now, we can't both be right. How can we determine which one of us is worshipping the wrong God? The key test is in the very next Scripture dealing with false prophets in the Bible, namely Deuteronomy 18:20-22. The issue (or test) in these verses is whether the prophet speaks a thing in the name of the Lord that does not come to pass. If we can find one thing that Joseph Smith has said in the name of the Lord that does not come to pass and cannot come to pass, then we should be able to agree that he is a false prophet. The reason that I am writing this letter is to list what I believe are the false prophecies of Joseph Smith.
    I will try to be as brief as possible with each prophetic utterance that I believe to be false. I pray that each of you will study the prophetic utterances and determine for yourself whether it is a false prophecy or not.
    Certain basic questions should be asked about each prophecy or revelation. First, it must be determined that the prophetic utterances really came from Joseph Smith. Secondly, it must be determined that the prophecy purportedly came from God. Thirdly, you have to determine if the prophecy came to pass exactly as outlined. Lastly, you have to determine if the prophecy can come to pass. On this last point, you should ask yourself if you are being honest with yourself or are you performing mental gymnastics in order to save Joseph Smith from being a false prophet?
    I will list the prophecies or revelations according to the date that Joseph Smith is reported to have received them. In some cases the order will be approximate. Some of the references might be slightly different because of changes that have been made in the 1981 edition of the "triple combination" (Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price).
    FIFTY-THREE FALSE PROPHECIES OF JOSEPH SMITH
    1. September 21, 1823: Pearl of Great Price, Joseph Smith 2:40-41.
    Joseph Smith claimed that the angel Moroni told him that the prophecies in Isaiah 11 were about to be fulfilled and that the prophecies in Joel 2:28-32 were soon to be fulfilled. 176 years have not gone by since this was received, and the prophecies that Joseph Smith referred to have not been fulfilled. We know that these prophecies will be fulfilled in the future, but not in Joseph Smith's (or Moroni's) timing.
    2. July, 1828. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 3:3:

"Remember, that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men."
    This particular verse is going to come back time after time and haunt Joseph Smith. If this verse is accepted as scripture by Mormons (which it is), then all we have to show is that if whatever is promised or prophesied by Joseph Smith is frustrated, then it is the work of men.
    Verses 16-20 of Section 3 prophesy that the Lamanites will be converted. To Mormons, the Lamanites are the Indians. Well, the Mormon church has been trying to convert the Indians for 153 years and they have not done it yet. In fact, a large majority of the Indians that they have converted are totally inactive. This is especially true in Latin America and South America. The Indians go in the front door and very soon go out the back door.
    There is another interesting scripture in the Book of Mormon regarding the Indians: 2 Nephi 30:6 includes a prophecy that the Lamanites (Indians) would turn white and delightsome in a few generations after accepting the gospel.
    It is interesting to note that the handwritten manuscript of 2 Nephi 30:6 has "white and delightsome." In 1840, Joseph Smith directed that it be changed to "pure and delightsome." Brigham Young directed that it be changed back to "white and delightsome." It has remained "white and delightsome" until 1981, where it has now appeared as "pure and delightsome," with no footnote indicating why it was changed. Honest editing would at least place a footnote by the change to explain why the change has been made.
    Is it possible, now that sufficient time has gone by to see that the Lamanites are not going to turn "white and delightsome," after several generations of being members of the Mormon church, that it is prudent to change the verse to "pure and delightsome," which is easier to defend?
    3. Winter 1829-1830. An Address To All Believers in Christ, David Whitmer, pp. 30-31.
    Joseph Smith sent Hiram Page and Oliver Cowdery to Toronto, Canada, to sell the copyright of the Book of Mormon, in response to a revelation that he claimed to have received from God. The mission and the revelation was a total failure, as recorded by David Whitmer. When Joseph Smith was asked why the revelation had failed, he answered that he did not know how it was. David Whitmer records that Joseph Smith "... enquired of the Lord about it, and behold the following revelation came through the stone: 'Some revelations are of God; some revelations are of man; and some revelations are of the devil.'" So we see that the revelation to go to Toronto and sell the copyright was not of God, but was of the devil or the heart of man."
    Mormon Historian and Apostle B. H. Roberts records the following regarding this Toronto revelation:

"... May this Toronto incident and the Prophet's explanation be accepted and faith still be maintained in him as an inspired man, a prophet of God? I answer unhesitatingly in the affirmative. The revelation respecting the Toronto journey was not of God, surely; else it would not have failed; but the Prophet, over-wrought in his deep anxiety for the progress of the work, saw reflected in the 'Seer Stone' his own thought, or that suggested to him by his brother Hyrum, rather than the thought of God... in this instance of the Toronto journey, Joseph was evidently not directed by the inspiration of the Lord." (A Comprehensive History of the Church, vol. 1, p. 165.)
    There is no way that a reasonable, rational person can escape the reality that this was a false prophecy. Remember, Deuteronomy 18:22 records that all you need is one false prophecy to have a false prophet.
    4. September, 1830. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 29:10-11.
    In these two verses Joseph Smith prophesied that the "... hour is nigh..." for Christ to return. 169 years have gone by since Joseph Smith stated that the hour was nigh. Only by performing mental gymnastics can this prophecy be accepted as one that can be fulfilled.
    5. March, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 49:9-10:

9. Wherefore, I say unto you that I have sent unto you mine everlasting covenant, even that which was from the beginning.
    10. And that which I have promised I have so fulfilled, and the nations of the earth shall bow to it; and, if not of themselves, they shall come down, for that which is now exalted of itself shall be laid low of power.
    Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, on pages 529 and 530 of his book Mormon Doctrine, makes it quite clear that the "everlasting covenant" is the gospel that has been given through the Mormon church. The gospel according to Mormonism is composed of all of the laws and ordinances and commandments that God has given to man.
    According to verse 10 above, "...the nations of the earth shall bow to it" (the Mormon gospel), 168 years have now gone by since this revelation was received and no nation has bowed down to the Mormon gospel, and no nation has been laid low of power for not bowing down to it.
    6. July, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 57:1-3.
    Independence, Missouri, is named as the center place of Zion. Independence is appointed and consecrated for the gathering of the saints, and is indicated to be the land of promise. This is a very important revelation because it names the location of the city of Zion.
    This revelation is false, by virtue of the fact that Section 3:3 has declared that any work that is frustrated is not from God, but from man. There is no question that the gathering of the saints in Zion (Independence) has been frustrated. They tried to gather in Independence and were physically driven out.
    7. August 13, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 62:1, 6 and 9.
    Joseph Smith declares in this revelation that God told him that "...the faithful among you should be preserved and rejoice together in the land of Missouri. I, the Lord, promise the faithful and cannot lie..." Verse 9 says, "Behold, the kingdom is ours. And behold, and lo, I am with the faithful always. Even so. Amen."
    The facts are these:

1. The faithful were not preserved.
    2. The faithful did not rejoice together in the land of Missouri.
    3. The kingdom was not theirs - they were driven out.
    All you have to do is read some of the history regarding the Mormons between 1831 and 1847, and you will see that this revelation and prophecy was, and is, a total failure. The least that you can say is that the prophecy was frustrated, therefore indicating that it was not from God (Section 3, verse 3).
    8. September 11, 1831. Scrapbook of Mormon Literature, by Rich, Vol. 2, p. 259:

"For behold, I say unto you that Zion shall flourish, and the glory of the Lord shall be upon her, and she shall be an ensign unto the people, and there shall come unto her out of every nation under heaven." This revelation (or prophecy) is reported by Rich to be a revelation from God that was given to Joseph Smith. Being as it is reported by a Mormon (Rich), we can assume that it is an undisputed statement of Joseph Smith.
    If Zion (Independence, Missouri) has flourished, the glory of the Lord is upon it and it is an ensign unto the people, and people from every nation under heaven have come to Independence, it most certainly is not because of anything that the Mormons have done. As far as Mormons are concerned, Independence has not flourished, the glory of the Lord is not upon it, it is not an ensign to the people, and people from every nation have not gone to Independence. The least that can be said about this revelation (prophecy) is that it has been frustrated, therefore, it cannot be from God (Section 3, verse 3). Of course, the Mormons would say that this prophecy will still come to pass. Only by performing mental gymnastics can this prophecy come to pass. All that has to be shown is that it was frustrated, and it certainly was frustrated.
    9. November 1, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 1:35:

"For I am no respecter of persons, and will that all men shall know that the day speedily cometh; the hour is not yet, but it is nigh at hand, when peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over his dominion."
    If God is no respecter of persons, according to Joseph Smith, then why did he record the following in the Pearl of Great Price, Moses 5:20 & 21?

20. And Abel he also brought of the firstlings of his flock, and of the fat thereof. And the Lord has respect unto Abel, and to his offering;
    21. But unto Cain, and to his offering, he had not respect. Now Satan knew this, and it pleased him. And Cain was very wroth and his countenance fell.
    Obviously, the book of Moses directly contradicts the Doctrine & Covenants.
    Joseph Smith further contradicted himself when he had recorded in the Doctrine & Covenants, Section 124:102 the following:

"Behold, I say unto you, I have a mission in store for my servant William and my servant Hyrum, and for them alone;..."
    Why not Brigham or Parley or Orson?
    If this is not enough, then verse 37 in Section 1 states: "Search these commandments, for they are true and faithful, and the prophecies and promises which are in them shall all be fulfilled." This is stating that all of the prophecies and promises that are in the Doctrine & Covenants are going to be fulfilled. If ever Joseph Smith uttered a false prophecy, this is it.
    10. November 3, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 133:17, 26-30:

17. For behold, the Lord God hath sent forth the angel crying through the midst of heaven saying: 'Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight, for the hour of his coming is nigh -'
    26. And they who are in the north countries shall come in remembrance before the Lord; and their prophets shall hear his voice, and shall smite the rocks, and the ice shall flow down at their presence.
    27. And an highway shall be cast up in the midst of the great deep.
    28. Their enemies shall become a prey unto them,
    29. And in the barren deserts there shall come forth pools of living water; and the parched ground shall no longer be a thirsty land.
    30. And they shall bring forth their rich treasures unto the children of Ephraim, my servants.
    168 years have gone by and Christ has not returned. Another frustrated prophecy.
    11. December 1, 1831. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 71:6-9:

6. For unto him that receiveth it shall be given more abundantly, even power.
    7. Wherefore, confound your enemies; call upon them to meet you both in public and in private; and inasmuch as ye are faithful their shame shall be made manifest.
    8. Wherefore, let them bring forth their strong reasons against the Lord.Verily, thus saith the Lord unto you - there is no weapon that is formed against you shall prosper;
    9. And if any man lift his voice against you he shall be confounded in mine own due time.
    I have asked Mormons, one and all, to meet with me to talk about the doctrinal heresies of Mormonism, and only a few have met with me. Therefore, I would have to say that Mormons are disobeying the commandment given in verse 7. Additionally, no Mormon has claimed that my shame has been made manifest. Further, I don't know of any other person involved in the ministry to the Mormons that has been put to shame by any Mormon. Many ex-Mormons are voicing strong reasons against the doctrines of the Mormon church. The weapon against Mormon doctrine is the word of God, as found in the Holy Bible. The weapon that we have chosen, the Bible, is prospering. There are literally hundreds (and possibly thousands) of persons that are leaving the Mormon church every month. All one has to do is read a little Mormon church history to see that the weapons used against the Mormons did prosper. They were driven from one city to the next and finally to Salt Lake City. Certainly the guns that were used to murder Joseph Smith prospered. Only the blind and deluded will try to defend Joseph Smith in this prophecy and others that are listed above and below.
    12. September 22 and 23, 1832. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 84:2-5, 31, 114-115:

2. Yea, the word of the Lord concerning his church, established in the last days of the restoration of his people, as he has spoken by the mouth of his prophets, and for the gathering of his saints to stand upon Mount Zion, which shall be the city of New Jerusalem.
    3. Which city shall be built, beginning at the temple lot, which is appointed by the finger of the Lord, in the western boundaries of the State of Missouri, and dedicated by the hand of Joseph Smith, Jun., and others with whom the Lord was well pleased.
    4. Verily this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which temple shall be reared in this generation.
    5. For verily this generation shall not all pass away until an house shall be built unto the Lord, and a cloud shall rest upon it, which cloud shall be even the glory of the Lord, which shall fill the house.
    31. Therefore, as I said concerning the sons of Moses - for the sons of Moses and also the sons of Aaron shall offer an acceptable offering and sacrifice in the house of the Lord, which house shall be built unto the Lord in this generation, upon the consecrated spot as I have appointed -
    114. Nevertheless, let the bishop go unto the city of New York, also to the city of Albany, and also to the city of Boston, and warn the people of those cities with the sound of the gospel, with a loud voice, of the desolation and utter abolishment which await them if they do reject these things.
    115. For if they do reject these things the hour of their judgment is nigh, and their house shall be left unto them desolate.
    History records that Independence was built, but not by the Mormons. History also records that Joseph Smith dedicated the temple lot. However, it is interesting to note the dedication ceremony was held on August 3, 1831, more than one year previous to receiving this revelation.
    Verse 4 has some real problems. It states that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints. Whatever was built by the Mormons was built prior to the winter of 1838-1839, because the Mormons were driven out of Independence at that time. The last few words of verse 4 presents the greatest problem. It states that the temple would be reared (built) in the generation then living. Verse 5 expands on this by stating that "...this generation shall not all pass away until an house shall be build unto the Lord..." Verse 31 repeats the fact that the temple would be built in the generation then living.
    The fact is that 167 years have gone by and the temple still has not been built. Unless a generation can be considered to be longer than 167 years, this revelation fails. Joseph Fielding Smith, who became the 10th president of the Mormon church, answered the generation question by stating that: "It is reasonable to believe that no soul living in 1832 is still living in mortality on the earth." (Answers to Gospel Questions, vol. 4, p. 112.) A further problem remains regarding the building of the temple. The lot is no longer owned by the Mormon church, it is now owned by the Church of Jesus Christ, Temple Lot, and they plan on building their own temple. Another point of failure.
    Verses 114 and 115 of Section 84 record that the cities of New York, Albany and Boston were to be destroyed (desolation and utter abolishment) if they rejected the sound of the Mormon gospel. History records that Joseph Smith and Bishop Newell K. Whitney went to these cities in response to verses 114 and 115. There is no record of these cities ever receiving the Mormon gospel during the life of Newell K. Whitney or Joseph Smith. In fact, the Mormon church is still very small in those cities. If these verses were truly from God, then these cities should have been destroyed by now. I believe this is another evidence of Joseph Smith failing as a prophet of God.
    Remember: All you need is one false prophecy to have a false prophet.
    13. December 25, 1832. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 87:1-8:

1. Verily, thus saith the Lord concerning the wars that will shortly come to pass, beginning at the rebellion of South Carolina, which will eventually terminate in the death and misery of many souls;
    2. And the time will come that war will be poured out upon all nations, beginning at this place.
    3. For behold, the Southern States shall be divided against the Northern States, and the Southern States will call on other nations, even the nation of Great Britain, as it is called, and they shall also call upon other nations, in order to defend themselves against other nations; and then war shall be poured out upon all nations.
    4. And it shall come to pass after many days, slaves shall rise up against their masters, who shall be marshaled and disciplined for war.
    5. And it shall come to pass also that the remnants who are left of the land will marshal themselves, and shall become exceedingly angry, and shall vex the Gentiles with a sore vexation.
    6. And thus, with the sword and by bloodshed the inhabitants of the earth shall mourn; and with famine, and plague, and earthquake, and the thunder of heaven, and the fierce and vivid lightning also, shall the inhabitants of the earth be made to feel the wrath, and indignation, and chastening hand of an Almighty God until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations.
    7. That the cry of the saints, and of the blood of the saints, shall cease to come up into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, from the earth, to be avenged of their enemies.
    8. Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold it cometh quickly, saith the Lord. Amen.
    Joseph Smith received the above revelation on Christmas day, 1832. History records that the State of South Carolina was already in a state of rebellion at that time. It's not much to prophesy about something that is already happening.
    Mormons usually refer to the Civil War as one of the prophecies that has been fulfilled. However, upon close examination, it becomes very clear that it is a failure. I count 20 different elements of this prophecy. All 20 elements would have to come to pass in order for this prophecy to be fulfilled. If all 20 elements of the prophecy were to come to pass, it would truly be remarkable. The chance of this happening without God's guiding hand would be 1 in 1,048,576. The statistics are readily stacked against Joseph Smith.
    History records that the Civil War did not start until April 12, 1861, when Southern artillery shelled Fort Sumter in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina. It ended four years later on April 9, 1865. The Civil War did not result in war being poured out upon all nations (verse 3). It also did not bring about a "...full end of all nations."
    It is also interesting to note that the Civil War prophecy was not published during Joseph Smith's lifetime. It was not printed until 1851, 19 years after Joseph Smith received it.
    To read more about why this prophecy is a false prophecy, I recommend reading The Changing World of Mormonism, Jerald and Sandra Tanner, Moody Press, pages 424-430.
    14. December 27, 1832. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 88:87:

"For not many days hence and the earth shall tremble and reel to and fro as a drunken man; and the sun shall hide his face, and shall refuse to give light; and the moon shall be bathed in blood; and the stars shall become exceedingly angry, and shall cast themselves down as a fig that falleth from off a fig-tree."
    As of December 31, 1998, more than 60,630 days have come and gone and the moon has not been bathed in blood, the sun has not refused to give light, and the stars have not become exceedingly angry and cast themselves down. I don't know of any way that this prophecy can be made to come true in Joseph Smith's timing.
    15. January 4, 1833. History of the Church, vol. 7, p. 315-316:

"And now I am prepared to say by the authority of Jesus Christ, that not many years shall pass away before the United States shall present such a scene of bloodshed as has not a parallel in the history of our nation; pestilence, hail, famine, and earthquake will sweep the wicked of this generation from off the face of the land, to open and prepare the way for the return of the lost tribes of Israel from the north country. The people of the Lord, those who have complied with the requirements of the new covenant, have already commenced gathering together to Zion, which is in the state of Missouri; therefore I declare unto you the warning which the Lord has commanded to declare unto this generation, remembering the eyes of my Maker are upon me, and that to him I am accountable for every word I say, wishing nothing worse to my fellow men than their eternal salvation; therefore, 'Fear God, and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment is come.' Repent ye, repent ye, and embrace the everlasting covenant and flee to Zion, before the overflowing scourge overtake you, for there are those now living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things, which I have spoken, fulfilled."
    Almost 167 years have gone by and the wicked are still on the earth. The lost tribes have not returned from the north country (and they won't, either). Most importantly, everyone that was alive in 1833 is now dead, and the things that Joseph Smith prophesied have not come to pass. There is no way that a reasonable, rational person can escape the reality that this is a false prophecy.
    You are placing your eternal salvation at risk when you continue to believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. Why not give up on Joseph Smith and the false doctrines that he presented to the Mormon church, and invite the real Jesus Christ into your heart to be your personal Lord and Savior? If the above false prophecies are not enough to convince you, then here are some more.
    16. February 27, 1833. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 89:18-21:

18. And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
    19. And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
    20. And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
    21. And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.
    The above prophecy was part of the revelation on the Word of Wisdom. The promise is given that if the Mormons will obey the Word of Wisdom (no coffee, tea, tobacco, etc.) that they would obtain all of the promises in verses 18 thru 21. The facts are that there are many Mormons who obey the Word of Wisdom to the letter, and they have not found great treasures of knowledge or hidden treasures. They run and get weary. They walk and sometimes faint. And most certainly, the destroying angel does not pass them by, Mormons die just like any other group of people. Think of all the Mormons in and around St. George, Utah, that have died and are dying of the effects of the radioactive fallout from the nuclear tests in Nevada, why didn't the destroying angel pass them by?
    On the top of page 268 of the book titled View of the Hebrews, written by Ethan Smith (no relation to Joseph Smith), you will find the words "...they shall run, and not be weary; they shall walk, and not faint." Of course these words can also be found in Isaiah 40:31. While it is possible that Joseph Smith got the idea from View of the Hebrews, it is more likely that he got it from Isaiah because verse 20 above includes the word "and" between "weary" and "they." In the King James version of the Bible, the word "and" is italicized, which means that it was not in the original manuscript. It is most interesting to note how many times Joseph Smith presents language that is supposed to have come directly from God, and yet one finds that it is an exact quotation from the Bible, including the italicized words.
    As a side note on View of the Hebrews, Ethan Smith had the book published in 1825, five years before the Book of Mormon was published. The parallels between View of the Hebrews and the Book of Mormon are so numerous and exact that I believe the View of the Hebrews was a major source for structure and content of the Book of Mormon. In fact, the parallels are so numerous and exact that it prompted B. H. Roberts, Mormon Historian and Apostle, to write a 141-page report on the parallels. The report was titled Book of Mormon Difficulties. Later, he expanded the study into a 291-page manuscript, entitled, A Book of Mormon Study. If you want to read all about the parallels, you can obtain a copy of View of the Hebrews from Utah Lighthouse Ministry, 1358 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84115. If you want an excellent review of this matter, you can obtain a copy of The Human Origins of the Book of Mormon, by Wesley Walters, also from Utah Lighthouse Ministry.
    17. August 2, 1833. Parley P. Pratt Biography, p. 100. Also Doctrine & Covenants, Section 97:19:

"Surely Zion is the City of our God, and surely Zion cannot fail, neither be moved out of her place; for God is there and He has sworn by the power of His might to be her salvation and her high tower."
    Zion did fail, and Zion was moved out of her place. Zion is Independence, Missouri (see #6 above). The Mormons were driven out of Independence in the winter of 1838-1839. Another false prophecy.
    18. October 12, 1833. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 103:13 and 15:

13. And now I give unto you a word concerning Zion. Zion shall be redeemed although she is chastened for a little season.
    15. Therefore, let your hearts be comforted; for all things shall work together for good to them that walk uprightly, and to the sanctification of the church.
    Almost 167 years have gone by since this revelation was received. Can this be considered "a little season?" I think that the time has run out on this revelation unless you want to do some gymnastics with the English language. If one were to take this revelation all by itself, it wouldn't look bad. However, when you combine this revelation with all of the others that have not come to pass, then the picture becomes quite clear that Joseph Smith was a false prophet.
    What is the significance if Joseph Smith is a false prophet? What will happen to the people who follow a false prophet's teachings? Isaiah 9:16 says: "For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed." Matthew 7:15-20 says to beware of false prophets. It goes on to say that the fate of a false prophet is that he will be "...hewn down, and cast into the fire." I believe that the fate of those who follow a false prophet is that they will go right into the fire with the false prophet. Oh, how I want to save my family and friends that are following the teachings of Joseph Smith from that fate. Please don't disregard what I am presenting to you. Check it out for yourself. Again, I plead with you not to take the ostrich approach and ignore this letter.
    19. December 10, 1833. History of the Church, vol. 1, p. 455:

"Therefore this is my counsel, that you retain your lands, even unto the utmost, and employ every lawful means to seek redress of your enemies; and pray to God day and night to return you in peace and safety to the lands of your inheritance; and when the judge fail you, appeal to the executive; and when the executive fail you, appeal to the president; and when the president fail you, and all things also fail you but God alone, and you continue to weary Him with your importunings, as the poor woman did the unjust judge. He will not fail to execute judgment upon your enemies, and to avenge His own elect that cry unto Him day and night. Behold, He will not fail you. He will come with ten thousand of His Saints, and all His adversaries shall be destroyed with the breath of His lips."
    The facts are these:

1. The Mormons did not retain their lands (in Missouri).
    2. They did seek redress from their enemies and were turned down by everyone.
    3. The Mormon god apparently did fail them because their enemies were not destroyed.
    4. The enemies of the Mormon church drove them out of Missouri.
    5. The above is a false prophecy.
    20. December 16, 1833. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 101:17-20:

17. Zion shall not be moved out of her place, notwithstanding her children are scattered.
    18. They that remain, and are pure in heart, shall return, and come to their inheritances, they and their children, with songs of everlasting joy, to build up the waste places of Zion -
    19. And all these things that the prophets might be fulfilled.
    20. And, behold, there is none other place appointed than that which I have appointed; neither shall there be any other place appointed than that which I have appointed, for the work of the gathering of my saints -
    This is almost exactly like #17 above. The facts are that the Mormons were driven out of Zion, they were moved out of her place. This is enough to make this a false prophecy.
    I believe what was happening is that the people were discouraged because of the persecutions that were being heaped upon them. These kind of statements by Joseph Smith were designed to give the people hope. They truly were suffering because of following the Mormon doctrines. Please don't make the mistake that because, they were being persecuted that it is proof that the Mormon church is the true church. I know that this is what the Mormon leaders say, that the persecution is evidence that the church is true. If that argument is true, then the Jehovah's Witnesses must be the true church because they are being persecuted. You can also include the Unification Church (Moonies) and Christian Science and many more churches. The persecution that the Mormons have experienced is nothing compared to the persecution that Christians in all ages have suffered. Suggested reading is Fox's Book of Martyrs, edited by William Byron Forbush and published by Zondervan Publishing House, available at any Christian bookstore.
    21. February 24, 1834. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 103:5-7:

5. But verily I say unto you, that I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize, inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
    6. Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour.
    7. And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever.
    Mormons will say that this prophecy is a conditional prophecy, that the people were to hearken unto the counsel of God and observe all the words that God shall speak to them. With that condition, the Mormons will never prevail (3. To be or prove superior in strength, power, or influence... Random House Dictionary). Mormons will never achieve anything until they are righteous, and that will NEVER happen. Isaiah made it very clear why Mormons will never obtain the blessings that Joseph Smith promised them when he presented one of God's eternal truths, as it relates to man, "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." (Isaiah 64:6.)
    Joseph Smith's prophecy can never be fulfilled because the Mormons will never become righteous. The only way that anyone can become righteous is to receive the real Jesus Christ into his/her heart and repent of the abominations of following a false god and a false Christ.
    If the above is not reason enough to show why Section 103 is not from God, then consider the following from Section 103:1, 13, 15, 17, 19, 24 and 25.

1. Verily I say unto you... (presented as if from God).
    13. Behold, this is the blessing which I have promised... even their restoration to the land of Zion, to be established, no more to be thrown down....
    15. Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power....
    17. For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm....
    19. Therefore, let not your hearts faint, for I say not unto you as I said unto your fathers: Mine angel shall go up before you, but not my presence....
    24. And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you to drive you from my goodly land, which I have consecrated to be the land of Zion, even from your own lands after these testimonies, which ye have brought before me against them, ye shall curse them;
    25. And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies.
    All these above verses pertains to Zion's Camp. Zion's Camp was a group of Mormons that was organized to march to Missouri and rescue the Mormons there. History records that Zion's Camp was a dismal failure. The introduction to volume 3 of the History of the Church, page XXXIX, and following, describes the failure of Zion's Camp.
    Again, let me state that the Mormons will never prevail over anything because they will never be able to live up to the standards set by their doctrines (complete obedience to all of the laws and ordinances of the gospel). Rather, I should say that many of these prophecies will never come to pass because the Mormons will never be able to become righteous (or perfect).
    22. April 23, 1834. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 104:1:

"Verily I say unto you, my friends, I give unto you counsel, and a commandment, concerning all the properties which belong to the order which I commanded to be organized and established, to be a united order, and an everlasting order for the benefit of my church, and for the salvation of men until I come - "
    The United Order was a communal type of order where everyone worked according to his ability, gave everything that he produced or earned to the Bishop's Storehouse and received from the Bishop's Storehouse according to his needs. History records that the United Order failed. If I were to choose a single prophecy of Joseph Smith as being false, this would be it. There is no way to escape the simple truth that it has failed. The least that you can say about this prophecy is that it was frustrated. Therefore, it was not from God, but the work of men (Section 3, verse 3).
    23. June 22, 1834. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 105:13-15:

13. Therefore it is expedient in me that mine elders should wait for a little season, for the redemption of Zion.
    14. For behold, I do not require at their hands to fight the battles of Zion; for, as I said in former commandment, even so will I fulfil - I will fight your battles.
    15. Behold, the destroyer I have sent forth to destroy and lay waste mine enemies; and not many years hence they shall not be left to pollute mine heritage, and to blaspheme my name upon the lands which I have consecrated for the gathering together of my saints.
    History records that the enemies of the Mormons were not laid waste, in spite of the fact that the destroyer had been sent forth. There is ample evidence to suggest that the destroyer was in fact a man named Porter Rockwell. He was sent out to destroy those who were frustrating the Mormons. The facts are that this is another prophecy that was frustrated, because the Mormons continued to be persecuted. In fact, it was just 41/2 years later that the Mormons were driven out of Zion (Independence, Missouri).
    24. August 16, 1834. History of the Church, vol. 2, page 145:

"DEAR BRETHREN - ... I shall now proceed to give you such counsel as the Spirit of the Lord may dictate... use every effort to gather to those regions and locate themselves, to be in readiness to move into Jackson County in two years from the eleventh of September next, which is the appointed time for the redemption of Zion..."
    By September 11, 1836, the Mormons should have all been gathered in Independence, Missouri (Zion). If all of the other prophecies regarding Zion were to come true (which they didn't), they should have:
    * flourished (which they didn't)
    * overcome their enemies (which they didn't)
    * rejoiced together (which they didn't)
    * lived in the United Order (which failed)
    * built a temple (which was never built)
    Dear readers, can't you see by now that the Mormon god cannot shower the promised blessings on you? It is impossible for you to become exalted and become a god. It is impossible for you to obey ALL of the laws and ordinances of the gospel according to Mormonism. Romans 3:23 says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." Sin means missing the mark. Everyone of you are going to miss the mark unless you turn to the real Jesus Christ.
    25. November 25, 1834. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 106:4:

"And again, verily I say unto you, the coming of the Lord, draweth nigh, and it overtaketh the world as a thief in the night -"
    Nearly 165 years have gone by since this prophecy was given and the Lord has not returned. Does "nigh" really mean more than 165 years?
    26. February 14, 1835. History of the Church, vol. 2, page 182:

"President Smith then stated that the meeting had been called, because God had commanded it; and it was made known to him by 'vision' and by the Holy Spirit. He then gave a relation of some of the circumstances attending us while journeying to Zion - our trials, sufferings: and said God had not designed all this for nothing, but He had it in remembrance yet; and it was the will of God that those who went to Zion, with a determination to lay down their lives, if necessary, should be ordained to the ministry, and go forth to prune the vineyard for the last time, or the coming of the Lord, which was nigh - even fifty-six years should wind up the scene."
    Jesus Christ should have returned by February 14, 1891. He didn't. This is another false prophecy.
    Is it interesting to note that Matthew 24:36 says that the exact date of Christ's coming is unknown: "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." See also Mark 13:34 and Acts 1:7.
    27. February 14, 1835. As reported in Prophecies of Joseph Smith and Their Fulfillment, Nephi Morris, Deseret Book, Co., 1926, page 261:

"In due time thou shalt go to Jerusalem, the land of thy father, and be a watchmen unto the house of Israel; and by thy hands shall the Most High do a great work, which shall prepare the way and greatly facilitate the gathering of that people."
    This was a prophecy given to Orson Hyde, one of the twelve apostles that Joseph Smith had chosen. History records that Orson Hyde did go to Jerusalem, however, for those Mormons who feel that he did a great work and greatly facilitated the gathering of the Jews, they are sadly mistaken. Orson Hyde dedicated Jerusalem on October 24, 1841. It took 107 years for the Jews to return. I believe I can safely say that when the Jews returned in 1948, there was not one single Jew who had ever heard of Orson Hyde. Only by performing mental gymnastics can you accept this as a true prophecy.
    28. January 21, 1836. Church History, vol. 2, pages 380-381:

"The heavens were opened upon us, and I beheld the celestial kingdom of God, and the glory thereof, whether in the body or out I cannot tell... I saw the twelve apostles of the Lamb, who are now upon the earth, who hold the keys of this last ministry, in foreign lands, standing together in a circle, much fatigued, with their clothes tattered and feet swollen, with their eyes cast downward, and Jesus standing in their midst, and they did not behold Him. The Savior looked upon them and wept."
    "I also beheld Elder M'Lellin in the south, standing upon a hill, surrounded by a vast multitude, preaching to them, and a lame man standing before him supported by his crutches; he threw them down at his word and leaped as a hart, by the mighty power of God."
    "Also, I saw Elder Brigham Young standing in a strange land, in the far south and west, in a desert place, upon a rock in the midst of about a dozen men of color, who appeared hostile. He was preaching to them in their own tongue, and the angel of God standing above his head, with a drawn sword in his hand, protecting him, but he did not see it. And I finally saw the twelve in the celestial kingdom of God. I also beheld the redemption of Zion, and many things which the tongue of man cannot describe in full."
    History does not record any of the above things ever happening. That is not to say they didn't happen, but I very seriously doubt they did. I believe it is safe to say that, if they didn't happen as recorded, then they can never happen in the future.
    The part regarding Elder M'Lellin is suspect because he was excommunicated on May 11, 1838. He became one of the bitterest enemies the Mormon church ever had. Incidentally, why wasn't he destroyed, as promised by the god of Mormonism?
    Joseph Smith recorded that he saw the twelve in the celestial kingdom of God. How is that possible when five of the apostles were either excommunicated or apostatized, never to return to the church? According to Mormon doctrine this would not be possible for apostates and excommunicated individuals to reach the celestial kingdom.

1. Lyman Johnson - Excommunicated April 13, 1838, Church History, vol. 3:20.
    2. Brigham Young - ok.
    3. Heber C. Kimball - ok.
    4. Orson Hyde - Disfellowshipped August 4, 1835.
    Priesthood restored June 27, 1839.
    Restored as apostle at conference of October 6, 7 & 8, 1839.
    5. David W. Patten - ok.
    6. Luke S. Johnson - Apostatized December, 1837, Church History, vol. 2:528.
    7. William E. M'Lellin - Excommunicated May 11, 1838, Church History, vol. 3:31.
    8. John F. Boynton - Apostatized December, 1837, Church History, vol. 2:528.
    9. Orson Pratt - Re-baptized and ordained January 20, 1843.
    Restored as apostle. Church History, vol. 5:255. (What happened to him?)
    10. William Smith - Excommunicated October 19, 1845, Church History, vol. 7:483.
    11. Thomas B. Marsh - Excommunicated March 17, 1839, Church History, vol. 3:284.
    12. Parley P. Pratt - ok.
    It should be noted that Thomas B. Marsh was re-baptized in 1857 and died in Utah a member of the church, though never again a member of the twelve.
    It is interesting to note the first part of the above vision was accepted as scripture on April 3, 1976, but the last part of the vision (listed above) was not accepted as scripture. Is it possible that the reason the Mormon leaders did not present the entire vision to be accepted as scripture is that it was clear that the last part could not happen? If this is so, then it would make the Mormon leaders wilful deceivers.
    It is also interesting to note that the vision has been altered by Mormon leaders. The vision was recorded in Joseph Smith's diary under the date of January 21, 1836. In Joseph Smith's diary, the beginning of the revelation read as follows: "The heavens were opened upon us and I beheld the celestial kingdom of God... I saw father Adam, and Abraham and Michael and my father and mother, my brother Alvin..." (Joseph Smith's Diary, January 21, 1836, p. 136; original in LDS historical department).
    Now, what is wrong with the above? The problem is that in Mormon theology, Adam is Michael. Thus, if Adam is Michael, then Joseph Smith could not have seen both of them in the celestial kingdom. Because of this problem, the Mormon leaders deleted the words "and Michael" from the revelation.
    There are thousands of changes that have been made in Mormon scripture, including the most recent one regarding the Indians (#2 above). To check every change would be very time consuming, so that is why I am writing this letter to you. I just pray that you have not hardened your hearts to the truth so totally that you have brought yourselves under strong delusion from God Himself. Second Thessalonians 2:10-12 says: "And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie; that they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in righteousness."
    I sincerely believe that Mormons have been deceived by a man who was a tool of Satan. The Apostle Paul gave some great advice in Colossians 2:18: "Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind." To apply this verse to Mormonism:

Let no man (Joseph Smith)
    beguile (cheat)
    you of your reward (eternal life)
    in a voluntary humility (conceit)
    and worshipping of angels (Moroni, Nephi, etc.)
    intruding into those things which he (Joseph Smith)
    hath not seen (first vision, angel Moroni, celestial kingdom - #28 above, etc.)
    vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind.
    Regarding being puffed up, consider the following boast of Joseph Smith:

"Come on! Ye prosecutors! Ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! For I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet..."
    Does this sound like a prophet of God? I believe Joseph Smith sealed his own fate by his boast.
    Consider the following from Doctrine & Covenants, Section 3, verse 4:

"For although a man may have many revelations, and have power to do many mighty works, yet if he boasts in his own strength, and sets at naught the counsels of God, and follows after the dictates of his own will and carnal desires, he must fall and incur the vengeance of a just God upon him."
    Joseph Smith made the above boast on May 26, 1844. On June 27, 1844, he was dead.
    Contrary to what you have been taught, he did not die a martyr, he died in a blazing gun battle. Joseph Smith had a six-barreled revolver which he fired at the mob coming up the stairs. Three of the barrels fired. Two men were killed and one man was wounded (and probably died later, according to the history) by Joseph Smith. A martyr does not go out in a blazing gun battle. (A Comprehensive History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, B.H. Roberts, pages 284-285).
    If this is not enough evidence that Joseph Smith is a false prophet, then let us go on to more of the prophetic utterances that have not come to pass.
    29. April 3, 1836. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 110:16:

"Therefore, the keys of this dispensation are committed into your hands; and by this ye may know that the great and dreadful day of the Lord is near, even at the doors."
    It's interesting that 163 years have gone by and Jesus has not returned. There was a dreadful day about two and half years later when the Mormons were driven out of Zion (Independence).
    30. August 6, 1836. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 111:1-11. This was a revelation given through Joseph Smith at Salem, Massachusetts:

1. I, the Lord your God, am not displeased with your coming this journey notwithstanding your follies.
    2. I have much treasure in this city for you, for the benefit of Zion, and many people in this city, whom I will gather out in due time for the benefit of Zion, through your instrumentality.
    3. Therefore, it is expedient that you should form acquaintance with men in this city, as you shall be led, and as it shall be given you.
    4. And it shall come to pass in due time that I will give this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not discover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours.
    5. Concern not yourselves about your debts, for I will give you power to pay them.
    6. Concern not yourselves about Zion, for I will deal mercifully with her.
    7. Tarry in this place, and in the regions round about.
    8. And the place where it is my will that you would tarry, for the main, shall be signalized unto you by the peace and power of my Spirit, that shall flow unto you.
    9. This place you may obtain by hire. And inquire diligently concerning the more ancient inhabitants and founders of this city.
    10. For there are more treasures than one for you in this city.
    11. Therefore, be ye as wise as serpents and yet without sin; and I will order all things for your good, as fast as ye are able to receive them. Amen.
    History records that Joseph Smith and other leaders of the Mormon church found no treasures in Salem, Massachusetts. The Mormons have never taken power over Salem. The silver and gold were not given to them by their god. If ever there was a prophecy that did not come to pass, this is it. Time has run out on Joseph again. Actually, the time ran out some time in September, 1836, when Joseph Smith returned to Kirtland, Ohio, and he returned with no treasure. 31. April, 1837. Latter-day Saint Messenger and Advocate, page 488:

"This place (Kirtland, Ohio) must be built up, and will be built up, and every brother that will take hold and help secure these contracts (for land) shall be rich."
    The Mormons were driven out of Kirtland, Ohio. Nobody became rich by helping to secure the contracts for land. In fact, most of the men that helped Joseph Smith in Kirtland lost most of their money in the Kirtland anti-banking society. Joseph Smith himself went bankrupt. Everything about this prophetic utterance failed.
    32. July 23, 1837. Doctrine & Covenants, Section 112:3-12. This is a prophecy about Thomas B. Marsh, one of the original twelve apostles. In fact, he was the president of the twelve apostles when this prophecy was given about him.

3. Nevertheless, inasmuch as thou hast abased thyself thou shalt be exalted; therefore, all thy sins are forgiven thee.
    4. Let thy heart be of good cheer before my face; and thou shalt bear record of my name, not only unto the Gentiles, but also unto the Jew; and thou shalt send forth my word unto the ends of the earth.
    5. Contend thou, therefore, morning by morning; and day after day let thy warning voice go forth; and when the night cometh let not the inhabitants of the earth slumber, because of thy speech.
    6. Let thy habitation be known in Zion, and remove not thy house; for I, the Lord, have a great work for thee to do, in publishing my name among the children of men.
    7. Therefore, gird up thy loins for the work, let thy feet be shod also, for thou art chosen, and thy path lieth among the mountains, and among many nations.
    8. And by thy word many high ones shall be brought low, and by thy word many low ones shall be exalted.
    9. Thy voice shall be a rebuke unto the transgressor; and at thy rebuke let the tongue of the slanderer cease its perverseness.
    10. Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.
    11. I know thy heart, and have heard thy prayers concerning thy brethren. Be not partial towards them in love above many others, but let thy love be for them as for thyself; and let thy love abound unto all men, and unto all who love my name.
    12. And pray for thy brethren of the Twelve. Admonish them sharply for
    http://hismin.com/content/53-false-p...s-joseph-smith

Default Re: 53 false prophecies of joseph smith

In reply to the longest message on HA, all I can think of is .... No, sorry can't think of anything

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Gold Poster

I didn't realize he was a fraud until his 41st false prophecy was revealed. Before that I thought he was just slightly unreliable.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

ANY MORMON at HA?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I am the incarnation of the Hung Angel Moroni. Stop this! Stop this right now! Put on your sacred underwear and behave. Immediately.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

just a question on this. When Romney was running for president, were christian fundamentalists and other voters concerned he was an agent for the mormons and would quietly be putting into place the agenda of his controversial church? I recall when JFK became the first catholic some asked if he would be doing what the pope wanted and he had to publicly deny this. Did Romney do the same?

I heard during the election campaign a lot of stuff coming out about the mormons which were quite wierd. They believe dependent on how rich you are on earth, when you die, you dont go to heaven you will be given your own planets! also a lot of its rituals are very secretive and members are not allowed to discuss what goes on inside the temples to non believers. They do similar rituals and beliefs as freemasons and hold on the to secrets the same way . Like masons they are into building extravagant temples and structures. They also believe that all non believers of other religions have to be re baptised even those who are dead. So they have kept records of every person that has lived, close to two billion and do a secret baptism of them to mormonism. So far 100 million names have been baptised. Very sinister it would appear they are keeping track on people in away orwell's big brother would be ashamed of. Even dead people? They even compiled names of jews some who perished in concentration camps and were re baptising them as mormons. They stopped using names of jews unless jewish converts to the church passed it on to them. To jews and followers of other faiths whose names they had compiled found it an outrage

Well, I'm withholding any further comment until I've seen the facts, as illustrated below. Got tickets for the London stage show in May.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Yes, Romney had to make the "ReallyIswearthatMoronsaren'tcanibalslookingtodevo uryourchildren" speech. The angel Trish Macaroni threatened to remove the anal probe if he refused to even look like he cared about what the serfs thought. Maybe it would have worked better if he could have gotten Ryan to make a similar one about his contradiction between Rand cult egoism & Christian altruism. Or just explained why they were both hell bent on putting the US on an austerity program like we're some kind of undeveloped fiefdom or a has-been empire.

"You can pick your friends & you can pick your nose, but you can't wipe your friends off on your saddle."
    ~ Kinky Friedman ~

Interesting, (and record length setting), post. I doubt whether someone would want to introduce themselves as Mormon, in response to this. But most believers are not bothered by contrary facts.