Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster

Exclamation Re: Horsemeat Found in Many Supermarket Products in UK

Had this conversation with my sister yesterday who was outraged at the thought that she and her family could have eaten horse without knowing... Jokingly I opened her freezer to find copious boxes of pre prepared shop bought ready meals..... My response (Which she didn't like) was what do you expect when you buy and feed your family crap!
    Any meat thats been through a mincer cannot be good surely!!

Not to sure if I want to see horse meat in packets stacked in the refrigerator shelves of my supermarket however I think that we do have a right to decide.... Personally you won't find Shergar in my basket but each to their oen... Horses for courses and all that!!

We're all guilty of eating the odd doner kebab surely once in a while?.... I find its easier to just not think about it!

x Bells

Senior Member Professional Poster

Default Re: Horsemeat Found in Many Supermarket Products in UK

ps Daddy99.... cool icon honey x

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    .....to say nothing of the human DNA that's been found in Welsh lamb.

Come in, Jericho!
    Yah...I was waiting for some cnut to come out with that one!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Remy757Photog View Post
    I would have no problem eating horse meat provided it was served to me as such. I do think it's foul to serve meat that is marketed as another. Makes one question the standards that are in place for the meat to be mixed together in such fashion. Japan has a horrible history of serving people dolphin and whale meat marketed as other seafood and it's extremely harmful due to the high mercury content in these forms of aquatic life.
    This is a serious point, because it is not just about the deception being carried out, but the question over what chemicals are being used by the producers as well, as most of this processed food contains additives and other chemicals -as well as the source of the horse meat. There are standards for the use of horse as meat on the continent, where people eat it on a regular basis, but I can't imagine the criminal syndicates, if they ar behind this, are concerned about quality; if anything, the horses are probably old nags, but may also be diseased or flea bitten -I mean if it all dies off at a certain temperature does it matter?

It would be a good idea if this reduced meat consumption, too much of the planet's resources is being wasted on livestock -even when I was growing up we ate meat maybe two or three times a week, not every day.

Some years ago I had this discussion with an Italian I knew who couldn't understand why we didn't eat horsemeat -but then he also said donkey meat was tasty, 'they are fussy eaters' he said, meaning it gave an extra dimension to the taste...

All jnoking aside, the serious point is that it is perfectly obvious that the major supermarket chains appear simply to have no idea what their suppliers are putting into the products that they buy. That's highly irresponsible.

I was having a pint with our local butcher on Saturday lunchtime - I live in a village so I drink with my doctor and dentist as well! - and he made the observation that if he was found to be selling product containing horsemeat he would be shut down instantly by local trading standards, but the supermarkets just carry on with no restrictions.

Maybe the major supermarket chains are the retail equivalent of banks - too big to be allowed to fail.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    This is a serious point, because it is not just about the deception being carried out, but the question over what chemicals are being used by the producers as well, as most of this processed food contains additives and other chemicals
    US steroid-infused beef being a good example ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelf View Post
    US steroid-infused beef being a good example ...

Yep. If you're in the US, try to find organic beef if at all possible. Too much of the alternative and you'll end up growing tits.

Oh, wait a minute.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	man-boobs.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	554413  

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Latest development in this scandal is that 60% of the meat in Tesco's Everyday Value [sic] Spaghetti Bolognese is horsemeat, presumably from Ireland via Romania via Corleone Chemicals. If people are so incapable of making their own spagbog, one wonders if they even know how to make a cheese sandwich. Perhaps its time to change one's diet and revive the nuts and berries alternative, if only for Lent.
    Ciao.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21418342

Junior Member Rookie Poster

Fuck horsemeat, they should stop the Islamic way of slaughtering animals the world over.

Totally inhumane, just to satisfy a religious belief

The sooner we can grow meat in labs the better

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    All jnoking aside, the serious point is that it is perfectly obvious that the major supermarket chains appear simply to have no idea what their suppliers are putting into the products that they buy. That's highly irresponsible.

I was having a pint with our local butcher on Saturday lunchtime - I live in a village so I drink with my doctor and dentist as well! - and he made the observation that if he was found to be selling product containing horsemeat he would be shut down instantly by local trading standards, but the supermarkets just carry on with no restrictions.

Maybe the major supermarket chains are the retail equivalent of banks - too big to be allowed to fail.
    That's exactly what it is, these big corps most of them sit in par-lie-ment and are in kahoots with the government. Shares in companies,land,oil and farming.
    You're right one rule for them , one rule for the local shop owner/business.