Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

Default Re: Star Wars Solo Films

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    The problem with Lucas Star Wars after TESB was he stopped involving the broad range of folks who collaborated with him in making ANH & TESB. The reigned him in and focused what he couldn't in the script. It's why I'm hopeful for these new movies - Kathleen Kennedy has a great track record of bringing talented folks together to collaborate.
    I agree, which is why I said that Disney should be able to produce a superior MOVIE than Lucas did in Jedi and the PT. I am saying MOVIE because Disney does make technically sound films that are well thought out, produced and directed and their aim is more for profit than completing a vision and being a prick (a la Lucas) so I believe they will not be so pigeonholed as Lucas proved he can be.

That being said, however, I find that Disney movies often lack a certain punch that other studios have to them.

List of Disney theatrical feature films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there is the list. they have certainly produced a tremendous amount of blockbuster films, but none of them are movies i favor and i believe that in the hands of another production house, many titles could have been better.

also, confounding the issue is that Marvel, though wholly owned by Disney operates outside of the Disney stronghold on family friendly entertainment. I read somewhere that ken fergie or whatever his name is, has almost the same unilateral control over Marvel Films as John Lasseter has over Pixar branded films.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Freudian Slip Platinum Poster Wendy Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C. Saw View Post
    Oh, I also agree somewhat with RallyColla's review of Avengers. I thought the movie was good overall, but was way overhyped by a lot of people. Most of it is a mindless action movie - which are not my favorite type of movies. The end was like, "we don't know how to end this thing, so we'll have our guys destroys some meaningless aliens with some gratuitous violence. Was it anything more than that?
    Absolutely it was more than that. The story wasn't about the aliens. The story was about these loners learning how to come together and, in fine Whedon style, become a post-modern family. Excluding Hawkeye, who's simply a plot piece (playing, go figure, the Lois Lane role of the film), each character had an arch: Tony Stark learning to become selfless; Steve Rodgers finding there was a place for him in the modern world; Banner claiming control over his inner Monster; Thor learning to set aside his pride; Natasha seeking redemption for the black ops work she'd done. The resolution for each of these arcs occurs mid-battle, leading to them all to work together and make the final play that ends the alien threat.

Structurally it's all very sound.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyCola View Post
    I agree, which is why I said that Disney should be able to produce a superior MOVIE than Lucas did in Jedi and the PT. I am saying MOVIE because Disney does make technically sound films that are well thought out, produced and directed and their aim is more for profit than completing a vision and being a prick (a la Lucas) so I believe they will not be so pigeonholed as Lucas proved he can be.

That being said, however, I find that Disney movies often lack a certain punch that other studios have to them.

List of Disney theatrical feature films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there is the list. they have certainly produced a tremendous amount of blockbuster films, but none of them are movies i favor and i believe that in the hands of another production house, many titles could have been better.

also, confounding the issue is that Marvel, though wholly owned by Disney operates outside of the Disney stronghold on family friendly entertainment. I read somewhere that ken fergie or whatever his name is, has almost the same unilateral control over Marvel Films as John Lasseter has over Pixar branded films.
    Kathleen Kennedy has the same autonomy that Lasseter & Feige have.

Senior Member Junior Poster C. Saw's Avatar

Sorry, Wendy, I'm not convinced. Before, I meant to say that the end was just gratuitous violence and action. Again, I did like the movie - the character interaction was the best part. I like Hawkeye, but there is a great sketch from Saturday Night Live, which I saw on Youtube - I think, where it shows what happens when Hawkeye runs out of arrows. Funny, I recommend a viewing. By the way, I not looking forward to Thanos appearing in the next movie. We don't need more space aliens. Well, I guess the movie makers do because they can't think of anything more creative to do with the Hulk. Thanos is not even a classic Avengers villain - didn't face each other all that often. We need Ultron and we need him NOW!

Junior Poster

I think the deal was to ensure his legacy is in the right hands. That said, I am worried.

Star Trek was the perfect film for the short attention span generation. Great the first time but it lessens with repeated watchings. The good guys were all bathed in BRIGHT WHITE LIGHT while the villains had dark colors.

I gathered this from the previews on the new film: If the Federation's security is so weak that any single person can break the codes and destroy the fleet then I hope they get what they deserve for letting a bunch of 20 year old's fly around space.

That brings me to Star Wars. They said they are skipping Thrawn which to me is a huge mistake. Zahn's books revitalized the franchise and Grand Admiral Thrawn is one of the best villains ever created.

I worry that Star Wars becomes a home for all the Disney actors like the Rock and Johnny Depp. There were no stars in the original. They just told a great tale.

Do we really need lots of spinoffs or is Disney just looking to milk the Star Wars cow?

Worry #2, JJ Abrams. Lost and Star Trek delved into time travel which, outside of Dr. Who, seems to be a sign of weak writing. When you need to use time travel it feels like the writers have run out of ideas.

Please do not retcon the destruction of Princess Leia's planet through the use of time travel. Please.

Edit: Which actor could pull off Grand Admiral Thrawn? Javier Bardem

Last edited by zerrrr; 02-09-2013 at 07:37 AM.
    Born of a broken man, but not a broken man
    Born of a broken man, never a broken man

Latrodectus mactans

The very first Star Wars film in the mid-70s was ok. It's been an inexorable slide downhill ever since.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Summers View Post
    Absolutely it was more than that. The story wasn't about the aliens. The story was about these loners learning how to come together and, in fine Whedon style, become a post-modern family. Excluding Hawkeye, who's simply a plot piece (playing, go figure, the Lois Lane role of the film), each character had an arch: Tony Stark learning to become selfless; Steve Rodgers finding there was a place for him in the modern world; Banner claiming control over his inner Monster; Thor learning to set aside his pride; Natasha seeking redemption for the black ops work she'd done. The resolution for each of these arcs occurs mid-battle, leading to them all to work together and make the final play that ends the alien threat.

Structurally it's all very sound.

i don't think we wee watching the same movie.

1) in each iteration of Iron Man, Tony has to learn to be selfless and that it is not all about him. To carry that arc here is pointless.
    2) banner doesn't learn anything. he conveniently already knew how to do it after arriving on a motorcycle because the plot needed him to. he, in fact, had NO arc. He was mad but he's always mad so that explains everything.
    3) rodgers never finds a place in the modern world. he merely talks a lot and feigns leadership.
    4) Thor learned to set aside his pride in is own movie when he so again, this is a useless arc AND he is a little bitch.
    5) natasha...(and hawkeye)...whatever...useless cunty characters.

and that you say that these realizations come after the dude dies and in the middle of the film just points out how shit the movie is. it makes the final act (a battle scene clearly inspired by michael bay and transformers) pointless because there is no conflict...they are united and unstoppable.

for a laugh

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

mmmmm beefy Platinum Poster rockabilly's Avatar

No ..... just no.

Senior Member Junior Poster

Was the character name "Han Solo" chosen to be a vague reference to masturbation? Get it? Hand Solo. Maybe it wasn't even deliberate. Maybe it was a certain type of "Freudian slip" by George Lucas.

Also, was the nose and body of the X-Wing fighters deliberately designed to look phallic? It's got that thing on the front of it that is reminiscent of the head of a penis, and then the long shaft or body extending back.

Gold Poster

^^ you should get out more