Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

Default Re: Christianity cured his homosexual tendencies...

Quote Originally Posted by iagodelgado View Post
    There are pros to believing in God. These have been well-documented in science.

Belief is not = to proof.

You can't prove or disprove God. You either believe or you don't.
    classic misdirection. you believe something because you find credibility in the evidence/story. you accept something as true (the definition of believe) because you have reason to. those reasons for acceptance are your proof.

the argument for "belief" not requiring proof is, and always will be retarded because you can't believe something without assigning your evidence a modicum of truth.

Q: Does Kate Beckinsale have a vagina?
    A: Yes.
    Proof: I can see it if I really wanted to.

Q: Does god exist?
    A1: Yes, says the weak minded person.
    Proof: he/it comforts me when i'm sad/diseased/etc OR there are unexplained things in the human world that we can't control therefore something supreme is afoot.
    A2: An intelligent, level headed person devoid of the human construct of god would say no
    Proof: common sense AND our understanding of our physical world that includes the fact that what separates us from dogs and kangaroos is our language and culture. god is an invention of language and culture.

both are proofs...reasoning behind a thought process...it just depends on which proof you believe.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Dungeon Master Veteran Poster StinkyPete1000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iagodelgado View Post
    There are pros to believing in God. These have been well-documented in science.

Belief is not = to proof.

You can't prove or disprove God. You either believe or you don't.
    I just wish you would have listed one of those "well-documented" pros. And don't get me wrong, I'm certain there are tons of people who feel genuinely fulfilled believing in a higher power. I'd guess there are people who are happy believing in God.

However, the reason why I don't believe that is a pro is simple: as a logical thinking being, I don't ever think it's positive to believe in (and act according to) something for which the evidence is circumstantial at best. We are thinkers and anything that prohibits thought is a con in my book.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Quote Originally Posted by StinkyPete1000 View Post
    I just wish you would have listed one of those "well-documented" pros. And don't get me wrong, I'm certain there are tons of people who feel genuinely fulfilled believing in a higher power. I'd guess there are people who are happy believing in God.

However, the reason why I don't believe that is a pro is simple: as a logical thinking being, I don't ever think it's positive to believe in (and act according to) something for which the evidence is circumstantial at best. We are thinkers and anything that prohibits thought is a con in my book.
    exactly...if you are happy with your belief, that's fine. other people just don't need god to be happy.

that said however, just as most people want to have their belief in a god be accepted, i would like my beliefs accepted as well.

Dungeon Master Veteran Poster StinkyPete1000's Avatar

I agree. I think my point is a little broader than that however. There are people that are happy believing in God but no one NEEDS to believe in God in order to be happy. It's just that some people are happy/comfortable believing there is a spirit up above taking care of everything.

In my opinion, it almost seems as though we, as humans, never truly grow up. We have this instinctive need to hope that there is something else taking care of us even after we reach adulthood. It feels good but the costs of such beliefs is great.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

I have spent a considerable part of today looking up the story of Lisa Lawer ... who believes that Christianity cured her (him?) of her (his?) homosexuality.

I happen to be an atheist. That is, I don't believe in God.

I happen to be an agnostic. That is, I don't reckon God can be proved or disproved. Because it's about belief versus proof.

Lisa is very happy with 'his' belief' in God.

And I am a scientist. I know that someone who believes will (on average) live longer, be happier, resist the negatives better.

This does not alter my beliefs. I do not believe in God. But I recognise as a scientist that my life would be better if I did.

Actually Christianity (in reality, Christians) cured me of any religious tendencies

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Quote Originally Posted by martin48 View Post
    Actually Christianity (in reality, Christians) cured me of any religious tendencies
    best post in this thread!

Senior Member Junior Poster luvs2lick1385's Avatar

What ever floats your boat, but DO NOT try to convert me away from what I believe. More people have been killed because "My god can beat up your god". Why is it, the more devotly religious you are, he more of a WACKO you are.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2lick1385 View Post
    What ever floats your boat, but DO NOT try to convert me away from what I believe. More people have been killed because "My god can beat up your god". Why is it, the more devotly religious you are, he more of a WACKO you are.

2nd best post of this thread!

Belief in God, is about our relationship with the universe, each other (mankind), and ourselves to the stream of life. It is basically a tool, for any to use. Some people misuse tools, based upon their limited knowledge. But for those that use it 'better', there are many rewards. This includes greater respect for one another, as an equal creation, and acceptance of ourselves as unique, and able to contribute to the value of a greater humanity. This is not exclusive to religion. However, many religions have had thousands of years, with people practicing and achieving a greater states of happiness. They also tell stories from ages ago, which demonstrate, that human behavior has not necessarily changed that much. For example, the Bible contains many stories about the types of "haters", that many people on YouTube complain about, today. When you can see your life, in a larger perspective going back thousands of years, today's headaches are more easily transcended. That is part of the Peace that religions often attempt to give their followers. I seem to have more of it, than many others around me. We are all blessed, to experience life. Many don't appreciate this as much as they could. I say, that if a person claims to be religious and does not have peace, they are missing some very important lessons in their teachings. And that's not the fault of the religion itself.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by yodajazz; 02-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.