I know the top chefs all say you should every part of the animal, but I do not agree. Other than the organs, the head is just to spooky as the photos above demonstrate. A filipino friend insisted on making me a dish from a pig's head. My local butcher sells them for £3 (about $3.6 so I bought one, and she spent hours on this dish using half the head which, in the end, I hated. I think the problem is that there is not a lot of meat on the head, and the ears just don't taste right. What is worse is that every time I opened the fridge there was this half a head and a sleepy eye looking at me. I got rid of it, and will never allow that to happen again. She also made me buy salmon heads for a soup/stock but I just couldn't eat it. And I should say that in spite of the time in the Middle East when we had to buy chickens live and I helped my mother chop the head off them. Once discarded, they take take their identity with them and can be eaten. With the head, they are impossible to eat. Must be guilt. I have the same problem with crabs, but not prawns. A selective morality, a vegetarian might say.

The zeppoli look delicious.